Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:59:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597301 times)
Boing7898

Activity: 686
Merit: 259

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:30:47 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2013, 08:43:56 PM by Boing7898

I just found my first share while mining with poolmining=true but I didn't get any GRC in my wallet, why?
EDIT: Got only 1.51 GRC from mining for hours... I'll go back to solo mining.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gridcoin (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 09:04:30 PM

Hi Boing,

The thing about being in the pool is you will be paid for approximately 2 more days * the shares in the pool (lookback is determined by current difficulty), so even if you shut off pool mining, using historical information over the last 2 days, you should receive about 120 payments * the rbpps.  Youll see over the next 2 days about 120grc.  Are you user #1 in the pool FzXJFiqSedAUgsFUUczdr6m76T3TNrovUV?

Yeah, the payout is not all up front- you get paid as other pool members find blocks.

Best Regards,
Rob H.

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas
rumlazy

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:09:28 PM

Uh oh, so I should get approx. 120 GRC in the next two days?
Nope, I'm FtWgehaapGH5cKSmMPEH91sVzxLUioNZ3s.

Oh and thanks for the replies! You don't see a developer replying to users everyday. Smiley

And he's very active on another forum too!  He's been very awesome since the release of this coin, it's already grown and added so much to it.  So many updates it can be hard to keep up with but I appreciate that a lot in a coin.

A lot more interest in this coin now then there was a couple weeks ago, soon more people will realize gridcoin > curecoin and it's already out. Smiley
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 09:28:43 PM

Oh and thanks for the replies! You don't see a developer replying to users everyday. Smiley

And he's very active on another forum too!  He's been very awesome since the release of this coin, it's already grown and added so much to it.  So many updates it can be hard to keep up with but I appreciate that a lot in a coin.

A lot more interest in this coin now then there was a couple weeks ago, soon more people will realize gridcoin > curecoin and it's already out. Smiley
Thanks all--
Boing, Yes if things stay the way they are you should receive 140-168grc in the next 48 hours.
Let everyone know if you do, and that should bring more confidence to pool mining since you mined one pool block, we'll see if it equals about 1 solo block.

Rob H.

Boing7898

Activity: 686
Merit: 259

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:30:06 PM

Thanks all--
Boing, Yes if things stay the way they are you should receive 140-168grc in the next 48 hours.
Let everyone know if you do, and that should bring more confidence to pool mining since you mined one pool block, we'll see if it equals about 1 solo block.

Rob H.

And I was going to ask if I should pool mine or solo mine, hehe Tongue I guess only time will tell.
Oh and everyone, keep in mind that I did this with only 150 kH/s in few hours.
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:39:05 PM

I think as the difficulty goes up, for the average user it will be better to go the pool mining route.

Thanks all--

Rob H.

And I was going to ask if I should pool mine or solo mine, hehe Tongue I guess only time will tell.
Oh and everyone, keep in mind that I did this with only 150 kH/s in few hours.
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 04:32:55 PM

Working on the new GRC Upgrade feature now so users can type "upgrade" from the gridcoin command line to automatically upgrade the client.

This will alleviate the need to delete the program files (x86)\gridcoin directory between upgrades.

I realize some people do not want to automatically upgrade their files, so this will be optional, you have to manually type "upgrade" or from the program directory you can type "grcrestarter upgrade" outside of the client to upgrade on your own schedule.

This also fixes the bug where you have to unblock the download, the program will do it automatically.

Best Regards,
Rob Halford

matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:06:39 PM

Is there no Mac client?
andrewp

Activity: 144

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:34:40 PM

Hi All!
I have been CPU mining for almost 48 hours now, however I haven't yet received any reward.
Coul anyone please check my previous post on this page and check if the setup I have is correct one?

Thanks,
Andrew.

Proud Gridcoiner since 2013!
andrewp

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:47:09 PM

Hi Andrew, welcome to the club. If you want to build a mining rig you need good gpu.

Here is a video of 2 of my rigs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DfJj4UZcU8

motherboard: asus crosshair IV extreme
gpu: radeon 5870
psu: 1000 watt ocz
cpu: AMD Phenom II X6 Six-Core Processor
ram: 6gb

If you want to build a rig I would recommend the MSI Radeon 7950 twin frozr gpu, i had 2 rigs with those gpu and they are great for mining.

Hi traderman,
Thanks! Happy to join! Smiley

Thanks for the video and suggestions. At this moment it looks like I am going to get R9 280X..it seems to have best power/price ratio.
Also if we are talking about mining GRC, is the CPU I will get more important than with mining LTC...because of the BOINC part?

Regards,
Andrew.

traderman
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:14:00 PM

what motherboard are you getting?

Hi Andrew, welcome to the club. If you want to build a mining rig you need good gpu.

Here is a video of 2 of my rigs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DfJj4UZcU8

motherboard: asus crosshair IV extreme
gpu: radeon 5870
psu: 1000 watt ocz
cpu: AMD Phenom II X6 Six-Core Processor
ram: 6gb

If you want to build a rig I would recommend the MSI Radeon 7950 twin frozr gpu, i had 2 rigs with those gpu and they are great for mining.

Hi traderman,
Thanks! Happy to join! Smiley

Thanks for the video and suggestions. At this moment it looks like I am going to get R9 280X..it seems to have best power/price ratio.
Also if we are talking about mining GRC, is the CPU I will get more important than with mining LTC...because of the BOINC part?

Regards,
Andrew.
andrewp

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:43:26 PM

Not sure yet..but probably something that can house 4+ cards.
From what I've seen on your video, there is some kind of extension from the slot on the motherboard to the cards that are hung from the top. Is this because these cards are wide and wouldn't fit on the motherboard next to each other in traditional way or is it because of cooling?

I am not going to definitely decide what to get, because I do not understand the HW side yet..my colleague who understands HW will make that decision.
However any info and suggestions from somone who has experience mining is greatly appreciated..what to do, what to avoid etc.

Andrew.

boopy265420
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:07:27 PM

GFxrJXNrtk3U2CcWHuTvHrYa3pFDoMFPiC

Thanks.
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 09:31:03 PM

Hi All!
I have been CPU mining for almost 48 hours now, however I haven't yet received any reward.
Coul anyone please check my previous post on this page and check if the setup I have is correct one?

Thanks,
Andrew.
Hi Andy--
Sorry for the delay, missed your last post about cpu mining.

First of all, the CPU-only mining feature is still in beta so the actual pay-out feature is not turned on, but I'm glad you are interested as I think it may become popular- you are the first user.

The CPU miner in the mining console is only there for security - it is not related to the CPU mining feature (even though the name is the same).  Anyway, the cpuminer (and cpuminer test) stores security info in the chain.  The CPU mining feature allows you to mine on the cpu only and be rewarded up to 150grc per day per boinc cpu-only user.  Yes, you can GPU-mine and cpu-mine at the same time.

Since you are the first user interested in testing, I will go along in parallel and work this out until we get the feature working.  You have your settings correct in the config file (cpumining=true).
Next, you said you already set up one of the 5 official boinc projects (the ones found in Boinc Projects screen, Malaria being #1).  You already set up your default GRC receiving address on the project web site.  Next ensure your receiving address in the Receive addressbook page is labeled as "Default" (by default, its labeled "Empty")- that has to be changed. 

Next go into the Projects screen and click Query.  Verify the avg credits value in the textbox next to the cpu project is 0 and there is no error on the screen to the right of the credits.  If it is -1, you may not have your receiving address registered.  Also verify boinc has done some work on that project, if so, what are your avg daily credits and project name?

On my machine, I have 821 daily credits showing for Malaria.  Once you are that far, we have to wait about 12 hrs to see if your machine sends out a beacon.  I just turned mine on, so we will have to wait a while.  Check the outgoing transactions to look for a transaction for .08GRC out.  You can label that GRC outbound address with your project, such as Malaria so you know what its for.

Once we get that far, let me know, and at that point we should see each other in the "listcpuminers" screen.  Then, we may be able to turn this feature on for payment in pool2.  The security upgrade is a higher priority so this may take more than 7 days to get to, but we'll see how far we get.

Best Regards,
Rob H.

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 09:36:37 PM

From what I've seen on your video, there is some kind of extension from the slot on the motherboard to the cards that are hung from the top. Is this because these cards are wide and wouldn't fit on the motherboard next to each other in traditional way or is it because of cooling?

I am not going to definitely decide what to get, because I do not understand the HW side yet..my colleague who understands HW will make that decision.
However any info and suggestions from somone who has experience mining is greatly appreciated..what to do, what to avoid etc.

Andrew.
Regarding the cards hanging from the top of his cage, most of the litecoin miners get cards such as the radeon 7950 frozr, and in order to have more than 2, you need whats called a powered riser, usually a 7" PCI-E extension cable (you can actually buy them on amazon), and they can plug in the 1x PCIe slot :
 http://www.amazon.com/Powered-PCIe-Riser-Molex-Connector/dp/B00D7LEKUK
Yes, this keeps the heat way down because the cards are far apart.  Ive been buying 16" square clothes hampers and building a rig with 2 on the board, 2 screwed to the top of the hamper and placing a box fan on the top- the hampers have holes on the side for airflow.  Milk crates work good too, if you can find one that holds the board.

Rob H.

andrewp

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 10:57:45 PM

Hi Andy--
Sorry for the delay, missed your last post about cpu mining.

First of all, the CPU-only mining feature is still in beta so the actual pay-out feature is not turned on, but I'm glad you are interested as I think it may become popular- you are the first user.

The CPU miner in the mining console is only there for security - it is not related to the CPU mining feature (even though the name is the same).  Anyway, the cpuminer (and cpuminer test) stores security info in the chain.  The CPU mining feature allows you to mine on the cpu only and be rewarded up to 150grc per day per boinc cpu-only user.  Yes, you can GPU-mine and cpu-mine at the same time.

Since you are the first user interested in testing, I will go along in parallel and work this out until we get the feature working.  You have your settings correct in the config file (cpumining=true).
Next, you said you already set up one of the 5 official boinc projects (the ones found in Boinc Projects screen, Malaria being #1).  You already set up your default GRC receiving address on the project web site.  Next ensure your receiving address in the Receive addressbook page is labeled as "Default" (by default, its labeled "Empty")- that has to be changed.  

Next go into the Projects screen and click Query.  Verify the avg credits value in the textbox next to the cpu project is 0 and there is no error on the screen to the right of the credits.  If it is -1, you may not have your receiving address registered.  Also verify boinc has done some work on that project, if so, what are your avg daily credits and project name?

On my machine, I have 821 daily credits showing for Malaria.  Once you are that far, we have to wait about 12 hrs to see if your machine sends out a beacon.  I just turned mine on, so we will have to wait a while.  Check the outgoing transactions to look for a transaction for .08GRC out.  You can label that GRC outbound address with your project, such as Malaria so you know what its for.

Once we get that far, let me know, and at that point we should see each other in the "listcpuminers" screen.  Then, we may be able to turn this feature on for payment in pool2.  The security upgrade is a higher priority so this may take more than 7 days to get to, but we'll see how far we get.

Best Regards,
Rob H.

Hi Rob,

Not a problem. I'm sure you have to be very busy.
Thanks for clearing everything out for me..as I've said I'm new to mining so my questions probably sound off sometimes.

From what you are writing it seems that everything on my side is probably setup correctly. Here is how it looks:
1. BOINC manager, the bottom one is the Malaria Control #1 in projects in wallet and its user name is set to the receiving address. https://i.imgur.com/2Q95pZr.png
2. My wallet where the receiving address is labeled "Default" https://i.imgur.com/oy8rhDP.png
3. This is the Projects from wallet and that is what is probably wrong. It shows "-11" and if I press "Query", nothing happens. https://i.imgur.com/oYFB4ns.png
   I have checked that the receiving address labeled "Default" is same as the user name on malariacontrol.net project web site. Also there are ~3800 kredits with ~350 avg. credits. so it has done some work on that project. The project name is malariacontrol.net..To be sure I've checked that again since there are 2 malaria projects on BOINC.

I'll keep it open and running BOINC however until the #3 is not resolved and showing correct values it's not working, am I right?

Regards,
Andrew.

andrewp

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:29:34 PM

Regarding the cards hanging from the top of his cage, most of the litecoin miners get cards such as the radeon 7950 frozr, and in order to have more than 2, you need whats called a powered riser, usually a 7" PCI-E extension cable (you can actually buy them on amazon), and they can plug in the 1x PCIe slot :
 http://www.amazon.com/Powered-PCIe-Riser-Molex-Connector/dp/B00D7LEKUK
Yes, this keeps the heat way down because the cards are far apart.  Ive been buying 16" square clothes hampers and building a rig with 2 on the board, 2 screwed to the top of the hamper and placing a box fan on the top- the hampers have holes on the side for airflow.  Milk crates work good too, if you can find one that holds the board.

Rob H.

Great, that is what I thought.

So regarding the BOINC part..for the future mining rewards, it also depends on the net # of BOINC credits that a particular miner creates, not only on the utilization, is that right? Or is it right only for CPU mining? Or not at all Smiley

Andrew.

traderman
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:39:23 PM

Ye the cards have to be separated otherwise they starting heating each other and that is very bad.

Andrew.
andrewp

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:53:41 PM

Ye the cards have to be separated otherwise they starting heating each other and that is very bad.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Also, out of curiosity, can I power 1 rig with more than one psu? Let's say I have a board that can house 7 cards, however even 1500w psu wouldn't be enough..can power 4 cards by one psu and 3 by another one?

Andrew.

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 01:14:24 AM

New version available for download (4.76):
* Fixes the Red X error that occasionally hangs up one of the charts.
* Adds the Upgrade feature, so you can type "upgrade" at the rpc prompt and automatically upgrade to newer versions.
* Implements a new command line diagnostic tool.

Rob H.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: