Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:21:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597301 times)
Gridcoin (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 07:18:35 PM

You should be able to work on any project - that project list is just for the cpu miner feature that's on hold.

Try adding malaria, world community grid and milky way and see if any difference.
Try running as admin.
Let us know what fixes it; that's a very rare problem.

Thanks,
Rob H.

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TribalBob

Activity: 1288
Merit: 257

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:21:15 PM

You should be able to work on any project - that project list is just for the cpu miner feature that's on hold.

Try adding malaria, world community grid and milky way and see if any difference.
Try running as admin.
Let us know what fixes it; that's a very rare problem.

Thanks,
Rob H.

I am already cpu mining on all of those projects and I am also running as admin as well with BOINC in default install directory...

***Edit***
LOL, I apparently was not running as admin, I had been entirely up to this point, not sure how the option got unchecked. All issues have been fixed

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 08:00:05 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2013, 08:13:52 PM by Gridcoin

Good deal.... I've been debugging the net thread error today and I made some headway; will be releasing a new version later and I think this will solve our second problem.

BTW, I called an authenticode (for a code signing license) company yesterday and they explained to me code signing the EXE as gridcoin won't remove the warning if the heuristics of cgminer make it show as a known virus LOL; they recommended I offer a second download for cgminer....

Rob H.

PS Regarding the block explorer:  A user reported that the numbers were randomly increasing-decreasing.  We have two block explorers; the first one was running on a defective machine and wasn't connected to the wallet.  I modified the code to go forward only and resynced the second node; this should permanently fix this problem.

TribalBob

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 08:17:27 PM

Good deal.... I've been debugging the net thread error today and I made some headway; will be releasing a new version later and I think this will solve our second problem.

BTW, I called an authenticode (for a code signing license) company yesterday and they explained to me code signing the EXE as gridcoin won't remove the warning if the heuristics of cgminer make it show as a known virus LOL; they recommended I offer a second download for cgminer....

Rob H.

LOL, either that or at least a spot somewhere near the download that explains why they are seeing the warning.

But if you can find a way to link to one of the older scrypt-compatible versions of cgminer (newer versions are not scrypt-capable), make it convenient for users to download, setup and run while still having Gridcoin communicate with it, I think that would be the most desirable course of action that way you can remove the malicious software warning entirely...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 08:29:38 PM

Yeah that's a good idea; because not only will it remove the warning but it will let the user choose their own version of cgminer (64 bit / 32 bit), one that doesn't crash for them, and maybe I can have gridcoin move the files automatically, etc...

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 08:30:12 PM

New Version Available (1.1.4.8/6.3/48): Upgrade from the RPC: Yes.

In this version we close all TCP sockets, stop the network thread, and restart the network thread once every 20 minutes
to help isolate the problem where the node stops communicating until it is restarted.  

Best Regards,
Rob Halford

PS If anyone receives failure to upgrade bad webhttprequest, Ill be fixing that by extending the download timeout eventually; for now- reexecute the Upgrade command and try again;

KleinMatthias

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 09:42:03 PM

Hi,

Since not all users of this coin are as active as you are, may I ask for a feature in a future wallet version?

Please implement one of the following features:
1) an autoupdate feature which automatically keeps the QT updated without the user doing anything (or with the user just clicking an "update" button which only appears when new updates are available - but where the entire update process is done automatically)
2) a notification feature where the user can enter his eMail address into the wallet and the wallet sends him an eMail when a new version is available? That requires - of course - that the wallet has a way to check for updates. But since Microsoft/Apple/Adobe/andalltheothers can do it, so can you :-)
3) (for those who don't even run their QT all the time) a notification feature where the user can enter his eMail address into the wallet and the wallet sends that eMail address plus its own version information to a central server of yours which then sends out an eMail when a new software version is available. And which sends a warning eMail when a mantatory update has to be performed.

Naturally, as of today, the Cryptocurrency-community has been very active but with the price explosion of the Bitcoin last month, more and more "normal users" will enter the market.
They will not keep their wallet running all the time.
They will not check the forum all the time.
But they might spend hard cash on buying this coin at an exchange and then send it over to their wallet. As a community, we even need that kind of passive user - and we need their money buying this coin.
And when they find ways to spend or donate the coin, they will. And for that purpose they will open their wallets - but not in between.

Having said this, I personally prefer feature (3) because it has a few advantage over the other 2:

• It keeps even those "passive" users in the loop that do not run their wallet regularily.
  • That way, if a really important change has to be made (e.g. a new blockchain), even those users won't lose their money because they get a notification. Think of the bad publicity when "normal users" start losing their money because they simply ignored their wallets for months only to find them not working anymore because weeks before, a new blockchain or equally invasive measure was introduced without them knowing.
  • That feature can be extended for marketing purposes: add a checkmark "the makers of this coin are allowed to send me exciting news about this coin yaddayaddaya" - and voila you get yourself a free marketing database with tons of eMail addresses that you can use to keep engaging your users. Notify them of new shops where they can pay with this currency. Notify them of faucets. Notify them of exchanges that trade this coin. Notify them of the rise in value of that coin. And so on. Just keep engaging even the passive users - because to make a currency successful, you need every hand and every dollar you can get.

You guys and all the other professionals or those that have privacy concerns won't use that feature - and should never be required to do so. But the regular passive user will get that fuzzy feeling that he will be informed of important stuff without him spending much time checking bitcointalk or their wallets. And that will give him extra confidence when it comes to him spending the coin or buying the coin with his FIAT.

Just a few additional remarks:

• Naturally, the best possible combination would be (3) with (1) where the users gets a "move your ass and update your wallet or else..." eMail (friendly version, of course) - and then he opens the wallet and clicks on the "update" button and that's it for him.
  • May be the required serverside portion (the thing that collects all version information and the eMail addresses and which also allows for sending out mass eMails to all users in that database) could be written in a generic way so that other virtual currencies can implement that feature, too?
  • May be, future wallets should have a default setting that causes them to run in the background as a service whenever the computer starts. That way, even many passive users will contribute to the P2P network without them even knowing. But that was just a sideline remark and describes a completely different feature request. But then again, while you are at it... :-)

Don't know. What do you guys think about that feature request?
Does anyone second that request?
Does anyone have a better idea how to solve the above mentioned challenges that this new species of regular, passive users will introduce in the weeks and months to come?

Thanks
Matt
GRC: GCehNw1ywW9Qr7J9f9Mxc8xQh3MswwX98c

P.S. Just a full disclosure: I have posted this same feature request to the thread of some other cryptocurrencies as well.
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 10:00:12 PM

Hi Matt,

Yeah in my opinion first off I don't really want to keep such a high level of releases as Im sure it is hard for everyone to upgrade, its a short term problem we are going through; however I do see the value in your three proposed ideas.

There are a lot of features on the list so I have to prioritize things that make it next; for example right now Im working on the SQL Query analyzer for gridcoin.

Back to the point; what we could probably do to keep the relationship anonymous with the user is have the wallet check the current version when it is booted and if the official version is greater it will just ask a question on the screen - Version 1.1.4.9 is available, would you like to upgrade?  If they press Yes, it does everything by itself; we can also have a key in the config file to disable that feature if you don't want it  such as:
autoupgrade=always
autoupgrade=never

What do you think?
Rob H.

Sp1k4h

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:34:24 PM

I think that might be wonderful, since the updates are (fortunately for us) being released daily to fix every bug you can Smiley
Thanks for you hard work!
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 01:05:56 PM

I really need help. It's 3 days that i try to mine gridcoin without any result.

Here, what i did.

1)I downloaded the lastest version 1.1.4.8.

2)I created the gridcoin.conf

rpcuser=user
rpcpassword=pass
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=9332
server=1
gen=0
addnode=98.114.181.178
addnode=76.187.184.27:9778
addnode=66.187.94.194:9778
addnode=76.74.177.224:9778
addnode=84.125.196.167:9778
addnode=71.233.139.62:9778
addnode=72.92.48.105:97788

3)I started the wallet, and it succesfully sincronyed without any problem

4)I started my BOINC client, with WCG project running at 100% cpu

5)i started cgminer 3.7.2 with this string:

cgminer.exe --scrypt -o 127.0.0.1:9332 -u user -p pass --gpu-threads 2 --thread-concurrency 7168  -I 13 -g 1

but it says: POOL 0 slow/donw or Url or credential invalid

But user and pass are the same of .conf! I'm sure! any help?
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 01:26:00 PM

2)I created the gridcoin.conf

One starting point is to double-check the path to the conf file and make sure its file type is really conf (not gridcoin.conf.txt for instance).

The file path to the conf file should be something like C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Gridcoin

Good luck - I'm sure you're very close to getting it working.

asdlolciterquit

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:15:59 PM

thanks! a little step forward.

Now, cgminer works fine, but i have boinc utilizzation 66% when it would be 100% and, also, i see no hashrate on cgminer API in Grindcoin mining module.

I red the posts before, and i've already tried to write lodctr /r from an elevated prompt, and restart gridcoin-qt, but nothing changed.

I'm missing something...but what?

edit: my boinc thread counter is 4, and that's correct, and my boinc avg daily credits is 339...
TribalBob

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:23:10 PM

When it gets to 8 days, how long does it stay there?

I've tried to DL the qt 3 times and then tried the .msi file and still won't sync up. Keeps getting stuck at 8-9 days behind even after I restart it. Someone please help, I can't figure out how to fix it.

Try using the "Rebuild Block Chain" option, it seems to fix just about everything for me.

I can't find that option. My mining console won't start up and neither will the project console

It's in the wallet to the right of "Projects"
There's nothing to the right of projects in my wallet, and i tried the conf idea above and nothing is working because these things you guys say are supposed to be there aren't.
You may have to download the latest 6.1 version; from gridcoin.us, download the MSI Prod version.
You should see a button "Rebuild Block Chain" on the main screen.

Rob H.

I don't see a 6.1 version on the site, even the beta is 5.7?

http://www.gridcoin.us/download/gridcoin.msi - I downloaded from here and it is the latest version.

Ok, I'll try it again, but this is my fourth time DL this one lol

Edit: Holy crap, It actually shows the "Rebuild Blockchain" option this time, you the Man TribalBob Cheesy

LOL, no worries m8! Just remember me when you get rich on GRC!!!    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
TribalBob

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:27:30 PM

Now, cgminer works fine, but i have boinc utilizzation 66% when it would be 100% and, also, i see no hashrate on cgminer API in Grindcoin mining module.

I red the posts before, and i've already tried to write lodctr /r from an elevated prompt, and restart gridcoin-qt, but nothing changed.

edit: my boinc thread counter is 4, and that's correct, and my boinc avg daily credits is 339...

Are you running Gridcoin as admin?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
asdlolciterquit

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:38:53 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2013, 03:50:30 PM by asdlolciterquit

do you mean gridcoin-qt.exe? no.., but now i try running it as admin but nothing change Sad
same exactly values i had before Sad

do i need to run as admin also cgminer?
TribalBob

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:44:20 PM

do you mean gridcoin-qt.exe? no.., but now i try running it as admin but nothing change Sad

do i need to run as admin aslo cgminer?

You don't need to run cgminer as admin but you do need to run gridcoin-qt.exe as admin.

All your BOINC info is displaying correctly then, yes...?

You are just missing cgminer hashrate info...? Are you running cgminer from inside the gridcoin client or are you starting an external instance of cgminer...?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
asdlolciterquit

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:52:01 PM

You don't need to run cgminer as admin but you do need to run gridcoin-qt.exe as admin.

You are just missing cgminer hashrate info...? Are you running cgminer from inside the gridcoin client or are you starting an external instance of cgminer...?

ok, i understand. I run gridcoin-qt.exe as admin, but boinc utilizzation 66% instead of 100%, and i don't see cgminer hashrate info.

I use an external instance of cgminer..
TribalBob

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 04:00:50 PM

ok, i understand. I run gridcoin-qt.exe as admin, but boinc utilizzation 66% instead of 100%, and i don't see cgminer hashrate info.

Ok, gridcoin won't display hashrate info for external instances of cgminer, only if it's started from inside gridcoin.

As far as the utilization being wrong I'm not sure what is wrong there as it seems like you have things setup correctly. Double check your BOINC settings to make sure they are set to allow 100% usage, then while still in BOINC go to View> Advanced View> Advanced> Read local prefs file

After that go to "Activity" (still in BOINC) and select "Run based on preferences".

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 07:22:09 PM

We are discussing some security enhancements based on a post Sunny King made (it wasn't really a bash) it was more of an observation he made that if a client finds a way to lie about their utilization (in our case, the avg daily credits), they are potentially receiving a higher subsidy than deserved; and obviously we want a coin that is 100% solid without any possible loophole.

Here is my proposed solution to closing the security gap the rest of the way:

1) Let us assume that bitcoins proof of work actually proves that a node generated a lot of heat and secured the block chain.
2) Let us assume that our GPU PoW (scrypt) + boinc credits prove that a user completed boinc tasks and secured the block chain: more useful.
3) A GPU user will look back over the last 30 days of history in the blockchain and pick a random public wallet; and attempt to verify the credits through the official project API (for that project).  A    "-1"     means that nodes credits were lower than the purported credits.  A +1 means it did match (or the nodes credits were even Higher than purported).  Other numbers are failures and dont count.  All project APIs are compiled into the code.
4) Any gridcoin gpu node that solves a block will "vouch" for the verified node, and add that vouching result to the boinchash in the chain.
5) The scrypt sleep algo will look back 30 days, compiling a list of total "confirmations" or voucher points for each wallet, and multiply that vouching sum * the (factored) avg_daily_credits per project.  The results will be sorted descending, and each node on the list will have between a 100% chance of working the next block and 40% chance depending on their position.
6) Users who ever find a way to defraud the system will be much lower, since 3rd party verifications include negatives.
7) Users who have the most positive confirmations will have the most avg_credits in the total, therefore have a higher chance of working the next block.
Cool All this will be automated and compiled into every client so there is no central authority.
9) Out of this, we gain 100% provable integrity, AND we will be the first efficient coin with SCRYPT_SLEEP implemented!

Thoughts?

Grid

traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 07:26:41 PM

With the new scheme I think it has to be showing around 50-60 under full load and the other half comes from the averages over time. That is my understanding of it.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: