Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:28:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597300 times)
hamiltino

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 03:33:22 PM

Another question. Do i have to check the box "Use GPU while computer in use" in the BOINC manager? Or does the mining module on the qt client do all the work?

You do not want to have the box for "Use GPU While Computer is in Use" checked. The way Gridcoin works is you dedicate your CPU cycles to BOINC and you mine Gridcoins with your GPU.

Gridcoin also has it's own version of cpu mining which should be re-implemented soon (hopefully). When cpu mining is brought back you will be able to fill in some information on your projects console and you will be rewarded additional GRC based on the amount of work your cpu does for BOINC.

So basically i am not dedicating any GPU power towards BOINC. Only my cpu is contributing to BOINC projects??

If that's the case then this coin is not energy efficient at all, its just forcing you to use your cpu for boinc while wasting gpu power on gridcoins, i could be dedicating gpu and cpu power to boinc instead of mining for gridcoins.

stacking coin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 03:42:28 PM

You could do that , but that is only you! Other people need a financial incentive to use Boinc. So by participating in the network yourself, you are giving incentive to the people that would otherwise not run Boinc at all, to actually Run Boinc. Do you see what I am getting at? Also mining secures the blockcahin and makes the network more resistant to any kind of attack, so the hashing by itself has it's uses.

I hate to say it, but everything in our current world is run by Greed. Here we can use that Greed and divert a portion of it, maybe not all of it, but a portion to something good.

Look at @ our team on the WCG http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BBNGDQS832

If it wasn't for Gridcoin none of that work would have been done in the first place. Hell, I only found out about Boinc because of Gridcon. Prior to that it was not even known to me.
Even a lot of people that start using Boinc, over time they either loose interest or the everyday stresses of life just make them forget. So by adding the crypto aspect it makes it a lot more fun to participate in.

Another question. Do i have to check the box "Use GPU while computer in use" in the BOINC manager? Or does the mining module on the qt client do all the work?

You do not want to have the box for "Use GPU While Computer is in Use" checked. The way Gridcoin works is you dedicate your CPU cycles to BOINC and you mine Gridcoins with your GPU.

Gridcoin also has it's own version of cpu mining which should be re-implemented soon (hopefully). When cpu mining is brought back you will be able to fill in some information on your projects console and you will be rewarded additional GRC based on the amount of work your cpu does for BOINC.

So basically i am not dedicating any GPU power towards BOINC. Only my cpu is contributing to BOINC projects??

If that's the case then this coin is not energy efficient at all, its just forcing you to use your cpu for boinc while wasting gpu power on gridcoins, i could be dedicating gpu and cpu power to boinc instead of mining for gridcoins.
TribalBob

Activity: 1288
Merit: 257

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 03:48:09 PM

The idea behind the coin is to add an incentive for using BOINC, a handful of people dedicating their GPU's to BOINC is nowhere near as effective as a large network of cpu's dedicating their cycles to BOINC.

Gridcoin is intended to attract people to use BOINC who wouldn't otherwise be interested if there was no personal gain for themselves.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
hamiltino

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:01:04 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 04:13:46 PM by hamiltino

You could do that , but that is only you! Other people need a financial incentive to use Boinc. So by participating in the network yourself, you are giving incentive to the people that would otherwise not run Boinc at all, to actually Run Boinc. Do you see what I am getting at? Also mining secures the blockcahin and makes the network more resistant to any kind of attack, so the hashing by itself has it's uses.

I hate to say it, but everything in our current world is run by Greed. Here we can use that Greed and divert a portion of it, maybe not all of it, but a portion to something good.

Look at @ our team on the WCG http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BBNGDQS832

If it wasn't for Gridcoin none of that work would have been done in the first place. Hell, I only found out about Boinc because of Gridcon. Prior to that it was not even known to me.
Even a lot of people that start using Boinc, over time they either loose interest or the everyday stresses of life just make them forget. So by adding the crypto aspect it makes it a lot more fun to participate in.

Good points, i guess we have to start somewhere and this seems the best incentive atm for people to start using their cpu towards scientific endeavours.

However i do think gridcoins statements about the crypto-currency is very misleading.

"large percentage of the computational power towards BOINC research - instead of generating unecessary heat and wasted power for the proof of work algorithms required to keep the coin network running."

stacking coin
sixteendigits

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:10:05 PM

Ok, I used the backup wallet I had made from a few days ago, it syncs up to block 40319 then I get "system error:CDB():can't open database file wallet.dat, error -30974" and then it crashes and I get "A fatal error has occured.  Gridcoin can no longer continue safely and will quit. 
EXCEPTION: St13 runtime_error 
CDB():can't open database file wallet.dat, error -30974
c:\Program Files (x86)\Gridcoin\gridcoin-qt.exe in Runaway exception"

I was doing a resync and an update a few days back and got these same error messages.  I then restarted the client and they went away so I wrote it off as a fluke.  I think a fresh install and new wallet would be in order, I would love to recover those 6K though.
aysyr

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:15:42 PM

Good points, i guess we have to start somewhere and this seems the best incentive atm for people to start using their cpu towards scientific endeavours.

This is also just for the moment. Rob, the dev, is coming up with an algo to make CGminer sleep half the time and then the rest of the time run in BOINC. Those who decide to run BOINC during the "sleep" time as opposed to mining something else get rewarded more than those who don't.

Trade at C-Cex, my favorite exchange!          Aysyr Reputation Thread
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:30:02 PM

Start gridcoin with a -salvagewallet command, using the backup wallet.

Ok, I used the backup wallet I had made from a few days ago, it syncs up to block 40319 then I get "system error:CDB():can't open database file wallet.dat, error -30974" and then it crashes and I get "A fatal error has occured.  Gridcoin can no longer continue safely and will quit.  

I was doing a resync and an update a few days back and got these same error messages.  I then restarted the client and they went away so I wrote it off as a fluke.  I think a fresh install and new wallet would be in order, I would love to recover those 6K though.
sixteendigits

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:49:00 PM

Ok, I used the backup wallet I had made from a few days ago, it syncs up to block 40319 then I get "system error:CDB():can't open database file wallet.dat, error -30974" and then it crashes and I get "A fatal error has occured.  Gridcoin can no longer continue safely and will quit.  

I was doing a resync and an update a few days back and got these same error messages.  I then restarted the client and they went away so I wrote it off as a fluke.  I think a fresh install and new wallet would be in order, I would love to recover those 6K though.

Qt just freezes and shuts down
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:50:47 PM

That command always worked for me. I don't know what to tell you.

Ok, I used the backup wallet I had made from a few days ago, it syncs up to block 40319 then I get "system error:CDB():can't open database file wallet.dat, error -30974" and then it crashes and I get "A fatal error has occured.  Gridcoin can no longer continue safely and will quit. 

I was doing a resync and an update a few days back and got these same error messages.  I then restarted the client and they went away so I wrote it off as a fluke.  I think a fresh install and new wallet would be in order, I would love to recover those 6K though.

COINPRADER

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:53:24 PM

Just when I thought things were settling down; by checking the other forum I thought we were past the 50% problem.

I'm running 3 versions of boinc without a problem; old; newest and 7.0.0.64, (64 bit version), and I can't reproduce any problems with the newest version of gridcoin.

Have you tried deleting "c:\programdata\boinc\gridcoin.dat" and restarting gridcoin?
Have we tried removing some projects and testing Wcg + malaria?  Also press "Update" on the project?

I believe the only remaining issue may be a non-compatible stamp in the file above.  Please let me know.

Rob H.

Upgraded to latest version last night (I have been mining from a week old version) and lost all my BOINC average daily credits.  Deleted the gridcoin.dat per above instructions and rebooted machine.  The credits showed up again like magic!

Add some science to your mining!  GRIDCOIN
TribalBob

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:53:33 PM

Re-try launching with that wallet but use the "-salvagewallet" flag on launch...

***Edit***
I see this has been covered already... man, I am slacking today...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
TribalBob

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:58:52 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 05:24:14 PM by TribalBob

Didn't you say you had an older back-up of your wallet...? Use another back-up, it doesn't matter when the back-up is from as long as it is for the same wallet. All the information for every wallet is stored in the blockchain and when you sync, if those coins SHOULD be there, they WILL be there...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
TribalBob

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:43:03 PM

mine crashes too,
upon trying to send 1 GRC in win7 64bit the wallet terminates stating:
"MS Visual C++
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."
Retry @ 1 mGRC failed as well.

is there already a pending request to integrate some stable version of boinc?
this might strip dependencies and make the system less vulnerable.

Hmmm, you are running as Admin correct...? Are you using the latest version...? I know I was having an issue with an earlier version where I had to change some folder permissions, but the new version has moved the sql database to the roaming folder which seems to have fixed that issue.

Have you tried going into Add/Remove Programs and repairing Gridcoin...?

***EDIT***
Also maybe try deleting c:\ProgramData\BOINC\gridcoin.dat and restart Gridcoin

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Gridcoin (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 09:31:29 PM

The idea behind the coin is to add an incentive for using BOINC, a handful of people dedicating their GPU's to BOINC is nowhere near as effective as a large network of cpu's dedicating their cycles to BOINC.

Gridcoin is intended to attract people to use BOINC who wouldn't otherwise be interested if there was no personal gain for themselves.

Id also like to add a response to the "not energy efficient" comment:  1) You can add boinc projects that use the radeon, for example milkyway (not the best example, but it supports radeon); 2) Extra
gpu processing is available even while your hashing, even if it is 10%, it can contribute signifiganctly to boinc avg credits; 3) We are developing scrypt_sleep, that should technically increase efficiency by 50%.

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 09:35:43 PM

Although not a groundbreaking day, here is what I'm working on next:

1) Discovered that the avg_credits in the leaderboard need to be tied to the project_count that existed at the time we wrote the data; they are not correct right now; but fortunately they are only displayed in the leaderboard this way; will have that fixed ASAP.
2) The factor per project is almost ready for the leaderboard. 

Thanks,
Grid

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 11:43:08 PM

New Version Available:

Release Notes: 1.1.5.1/59/7.2:  Install from RPC: Yes

* Leaderboard: Added the Network Factor per project to the "Stats" section, and the adjusted credits.
The adjusted Credits are the average credits for the entire network for that project.

* Added the Adjusted Credits to the "Network Leaders" section along with the average user project count
(Note if you add/drop projects, this results in a fractional avg_project count (Column D)).

Important:  The Credits column should be approximately what Gridcoin shows your avg_credits to be on the mining
screen (it is a 30 day average)--  the Adjusted Credits column is what your factored credits compute to.

When we implement scrypt_sleep, your sleep chance is based on the Adjusted Credits column descending.
As a rough estimate the top 10% boincers would have approx 100% chance of hashing, then below that point a
descending chance of sleeping from 95% to 50%. 

* Added the Scrypt Sleep Hashing chance to the leaderboard so it is crystal clear what the hashing chance will be (please verify accuracy).
* Added additional 25px dynamic shrink for small monitors.
* Added links on the Boinc-Cpu-Only Projects page to redirect you to the official project; so you can
enter your GRC address or edit your account, or verify your credits: NOTE: This is only required for Cpu-boinc-only mining.
GPU mining allows you to work on any boinc project at this time; and the setup is automatic for GPU miners.

Note: The leaderboard only harvests GPU mining stats; cpu mining stats are not harvested at this time.

Please check your credits against the leaderboard; verify that we are ready for scrypt_sleep in 40-70 days.
Note: We capped the maximum Network positive Factor at 4 (equal to 400%)
   to prevent abuse on brand new projects such as Pogs.

Important Note: After you install this version the top and middle panes of the leaderboard will not be updated for
 approx 15 mins due to new schema columns -  try back in 15 mins or after the leaderboard row count > 4000.

Thanks,
Grid

TribalBob

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 12:44:34 AM

New Version Available:

* Leaderboard: Added the Network Factor per project to the "Stats" section, and the adjusted credits.
The adjusted Credits are the average credits for the entire network for that project.

* Added the Adjusted Credits to the "Network Leaders" section along with the average user project count
(Note if you add/drop projects, this results in a fractional avg_project count (Column D)).

Important:  The Credits column should be approximately what Gridcoin shows your avg_credits to be on the mining
screen (it is a 30 day average)--  the Adjusted Credits column is what your factored credits compute to.

When we implement scrypt_sleep, your sleep chance is based on the Adjusted Credits column descending.
As a rough estimate the top 10% boincers would have approx 100% chance of hashing, then below that point a
descending chance of sleeping from 95% to 50%. 

* Added the Scrypt Sleep Hashing chance to the leaderboard so it is crystal clear what the hashing chance will be (please verify accuracy).
* Added additional 25px dynamic shrink for small monitors.
* Added links on the Boinc-Cpu-Only Projects page to redirect you to the official project; so you can
enter your GRC address or edit your account, or verify your credits: NOTE: This is only required for Cpu-boinc-only mining.
GPU mining allows you to work on any boinc project at this time; and the setup is automatic for GPU miners.

Note: The leaderboard only harvests GPU mining stats; cpu mining stats are not harvested at this time.

Please check your credits against the leaderboard; verify that we are ready for scrypt_sleep in 40-70 days.
Note: We capped the maximum Network positive Factor at 4 (equal to 400%)
   to prevent abuse on brand new projects such as Pogs.

Important Note: After you install this version the top and middle panes of the leaderboard will not be updated for
 approx 15 mins due to new schema columns -  try back in 15 mins or after the leaderboard row count > 4000.

Thanks,
Grid

Nice, so cpumining is re-enabled then...?

Also, is this the update that allows us to use normal user ID's or do we still need to use our GRC address...? Thanks!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 04:07:36 AM

New Version Available:

* Leaderboard: Added the Network Factor per proje
Thanks,
Grid

Also, is this the update that allows us to use normal user ID's or do we still need to use our GRC address...? Thanks!
Hi Bob,
I'm working on the cpu mining again as the highest priority; it requires a security change to store a couple of new things and therefore since everyone will need to be on that version first Im shooting for two phases: this weekend to put out the prereqs and we can test everything else on testnet and then next weekend for the actual go live for cpu mining!

The GPU users dont have to set anything up; they can boinc without special userids; the cpuboinc mining feature still requires the extra set up and the special wallet address ids.

Thanks,
Grid

TribalBob

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 01:56:33 PM

New Version Available:

* Leaderboard: Added the Network Factor per proje
Thanks,
Grid

Hi Bob,
I'm working on the cpu mining again as the highest priority; it requires a security change to store a couple of new things and therefore since everyone will need to be on that version first Im shooting for two phases: this weekend to put out the prereqs and we can test everything else on testnet and then next weekend for the actual go live for cpu mining!

The GPU users dont have to set anything up; they can boinc without special userids; the cpuboinc mining feature still requires the extra set up and the special wallet address ids.

Thanks,
Grid

Sounds good, thanks for the hard work!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
TribalBob

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 06:44:55 PM

Rob - If I were to drop all of my BOINC projects except for the ones listed in the Gridcoin projects console, would there be any benefit to that...?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: