Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:23:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597301 times)
Inrideo

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 04:13:38 AM

I have Lubuntu on a USB stick here. I'll boot into it and give it a go Smiley

Guys, Grid. What about Linux wallet? People are asking me about it but i don't know what to answer. At same time i know that c-cex using linux wallet, i'm right?
Hi Zulzedd,

The native non mining coin-client is ready (that's what c-cex is using).

We're still looking for people who will volunteer to test mining on the wine-qt version.  Joey Krug started doing it, but his cudaminer setting is not working.  So to clarify, we have not had one volunteer that is even capable of testing the client with a native radeon card booting directly into Linux; so for people like "HereToLearn" who do nothing but bash us and trash talk from their Pie Hole, (without adding anything positive to the conversation, or contributing anything useful other than "guesses" that are generally inaccurate all of the time),  the truth is the client is almost ready for mining, but I am incapable of testing it with my radeon hardware since I am running Ubuntu in a virtual machine.  I invite others with native hardware to help us test mining on Linux and Mac!

Thanks,
Rob Halford

Gridcoin :: GGEijprFRgB8LFVDLbdKQK9CcysFXAXRop
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inrideo

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 05:39:20 AM

Or at least I will when I can get my computer to recognize my USB stick again  Angry

C. Bergmann

Activity: 803
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 12:43:12 PM

Hi,

I followed the instructions in the link (https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/).

But after the installation in the  recommended location (programmsx86) the qt doesn't find a blocksource. I wrote the gridcoin.conf by myself after the instructions, I deleted everything, reloaded, suspended my firewall, reloaded, tried again, but I don't find the blockchain.

I installed gridcoin on a laptop, and it's no problem.

I have a 64bit system, windows 7, Intel, Nvidia ... any idea what to do?

Hi,
It generally installs to the default location unless you try to install it elsewhere. Let BOINC and  Gridcoin client install the place they naturally do.Atleast thats how it has happened with me.I hope you havent mixed up the installation folders for both. Things to check in your conf file .. it should be something like this :
server=1
rpcuser=myusername
rpcpassword=mypassword
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=9332
cpumining=true
Also are you sure you have not  saved the file as a text file ? It should be .conf and not .txt.Also try to check if you dont have a service running on the default port for Gridcoin (its 32768 or something like that .. i forget the exact number right now, but this I dont think would be the problem but still if nothing works then check the port).
It should work, maybe your making a small mistake here or there. Hope that helps.

I let. On my PC I didn't install boinc by now, cause Grid is not working. It was just installed in the natural directory. I tried everything, reinstalled, closed every programm, reinstalled, tried the beta, changed the ports in the configuration, adopted the .conf, etc. It doesn't work.

I tried the same on my laptop, it has only 20 percent of the hasrate my pc has (both very low), but on the laptop it worked very finde. I earned yesterday more than 40 gridcoin with rosetta@home. Very great! But I'd like to give also the cpu-power of my better machine Smiley

▄▄████▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄▄
▄█████▀▀            ▀▀█████▄
▄███▀       ▄████▄       ▀███▄
███      ▄██████████▄      ███
███    ▄██████████████▄    ███
███    ████████████████    ███
███    ▀██████████████▀    ███
███      ▀██████████▀      ███
▀███▄       ▀████▀       ▄███▀
▀█████▄▄            ▄▄█████▀
▀▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀████▀▀
Gabro███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
WHITEPAPER
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TOKEN SALES
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:12:28 PM

Pool mining surprises - I'm not sure whether my pool mining is working as it should.

I switched one machine over to pool mining a few days ago just to see what would happen. I did not record an exact timestamp (sorry). The machine had reliably found a block or three every day before that. It's a core i7 with an R9 290X. Nothing happened for a day or so and then it mined a block of 150, looking exactly like one of the solo blocks it used to mine. Nothing for another day or two and then around 2 am my time it said it mined about 34 coins. I'm guessing this is the first actual return from the pool, but in the Transactions wallet display the address shown is an address I created for sending coins from another of my machines, not the default wallet address as used for the leaderboard.

I'm certain that other machine did not send the 34 coins (2 am). It has reliably sent to that address fairly often though, and all transactions match up between the two machines except this 34-coin mined(?) transaction.

So I'm left wondering if this is an actual pool mining result. If so, it seems very much less productive than solo mining so far (I realize this may turn into a steady trickle, but it has not yet happened). Also, it seems to have been sent to an inappropriate address, although to the correct wallet, or perhaps is just inappropriately displayed.

The getpoolminingmode command from the console shows "true". I'm using Gridcoin version 75. The wallet is encrypted, fwiw.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

heretolearn

Activity: 128

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 06:25:42 PM

so for people like "HereToLearn" who do nothing but bash us and trash talk from their Pie Hole, (without adding anything positive to the conversation, or contributing anything useful other than "guesses" that are generally inaccurate all of the time),  the truth is the client is almost ready for mining, but I am incapable of testing it with my radeon hardware since I am running Ubuntu in a virtual machine.  I invite others with native hardware to help us test mining on Linux and Mac!

Thanks,
Rob Halford

Why the personal attacks ? What brand of weed are you smoking ? Get it out of your system and stop and attacking people personally if you cant answer about the problems a person faces when trying to mine.

HereToLearn,

In your infinite wisdom, why on God's Green Earth do you "think" wine-qt is not a 'good enough' solution for mining on Linux?

I for one am a linux user and I would never install wine of all things on my system. I speak from a general users' perspective. Its a matter of atleast having a "native mining capable" client for the 3 major OSs, it is standard practice for any cryptocurrency. But perhaps your unaware of it.

Also, I have already hired developers; who is going to pay for the future dev expenses for your 'critical issues' that have to be developed faster (than our current schedule which IMO is pretty darn fast)?  You?  You haven't even answered more than 50% of the questions correctly in the past; the results are worse than guessing.  You came back to Gridcoin because you see the value here.
Why don't you just admit you have been slacking around with the development .. almost 4 months and a crytocurrency does not have a mining client for linux,mac !! that is unheard of for any decent coin !! are you obliquely asking me for money now too ? Stop kidding yourself about me not answering questions when in fact you could not find/replicate syncing problems with earlier versions, so you start attacking people personally.
And yes I do see value in GRC that is why I came back (and was in it since the beginning for the same reason). Is there something wrong with that ? Do you have a personal problem about me coming back to mining ? If yes then again I would suggest you stop smoking the crazy brand of weed or else ignore.

Here is more evidence of you not answering this a page back. Still no answer to the question below but you have the time to rant against a member when they point to a genuine query. Bravo !!
I've asked this question before too can anybody help me with the answer ?

Who do the "beacons" go to while cpu mining ? Is it being destroyed or to some central authority ? Never really understood that part.

Stop acting like an petulant child and attacking people personally. Just because you are the lead dev does not give you the licence to treat members of the community in an arbitrary manner according to your whims and fancies. That wont be tolerated.

Hope you have the courage to not delete this post like you previously did with my other posts.
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 06:43:05 PM

Hey Heretolearn,

I understand you are a supporter of Gridcoin, but sometimes some of the things you say may not be received well by some people.

Example:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reason : People are already starting to ask about it .. and its been about 3 months or more since the launch and yet no linux client ! This won't go down well with the majority of new comers who are to adopt GRC.

Solution : Either the dev can do it himself or hire someone to do it .. because it has been way too long (all other coins generally have all this sorted before launch)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This sounds like you are giving orders!!!

Rob said before that one of the programmers has left and all the workload has fallen on him. So when someone who is under pressure already with all the things
that have to be done, that may be very insulting!!

This is a very complicated project and Rob has said that he has a full time job, so it is quite a bit for him to handle.

If you want to contribute something then please do so, but do not demand or post those kind of strong worded statements.

Rob has done one hell of a job so far and he does not need someone telling him what to do or who to hire.

Things we need to get right before asking coincapmarket to put our coin there :

1) Linux client with mining capabilities

Reason : People are already starting to ask about it .. and its been about 3 months or more since the launch and yet no linux client ! This won't go down well with the majority of new comers who are to adopt GRC.

Solution : Either the dev can do it himself or hire someone to do it .. because it has been way too long (all other coins generally have all this sorted before launch)

2) More reliable block explorer

Reason : Sometimes the block explorer stalls and does not move ahead and sometimes even resets. This can result in the coin being removed from coincapmarket if its not reliable. It will result in GRC ending up to be a pump and dump coin to an extent (not entirely though ).

Solution : Maybe have 2 versions of the block explorer so that we can refer to either one when the other is down. Also a more comprehensive style block explorer is needed .. something based on ABE perhaps which can show details of the transactions and addresses when searched through it.

3) More marketing

Reason : If we get need to go big we possibly need to tell everybody about GRC .. even people we dont know.

Solution : Every member here should start sending messages to people about GRC (I'm sure many are) but we need more of it. Also  tag line on the site saying something like "Green, Efficient and Useful to Society" Coin. Another thing is a small writeup in a PDF explaining how this coin has the potential to transform the way cryptocurrency exists. This should be like how Vertcoin do it on their site (for the layman but effective and short). If you guys want I could do a write up on it.

NOTE : All this needs to be done on an urgent basis because coincapmarket people are not going to put more than 100 coins on their website apparently. There are about 88 already and he has promised to put up like 5 more .. so we need to get the above done quick and asap or we might miss the bus.

Let me know if I've missed out on anything guys.

Thanks
heretolearn

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:13:40 PM

Hey Heretolearn,

I understand you are a supporter of Gridcoin, but sometimes some of the things you say may not be received well by some people.

Example:

Rob said before that one of the programmers has left and all the workload has fallen on him. So when someone who is under pressure already with all the things

This is a very complicated project and Rob has said that he has a full time job, so it is quite a bit for him to handle.

If you want to contribute something then please do so, but do not demand or post those kind of strong worded statements.

Rob has done one hell of a job so far and he does not need someone telling him what to do or who to hire.

Hey traderman,

The things that you quote were proposed solutions. Anybody was free to disagree and the tone IMO was certainly not intended to come across as giving orders. Those "solutions" are a prerequisite if we are to go big. Others like zulzedd and s4mmy too did agree with most of the point being made there as you can see.

As for contributing, I have always tried to help others when I possibly could .. you can check the last 2 pages where we have discussed doubts in a purposeful and meaningful manner.

If one chooses to take offence on something when it is not even intended to insult, then I can hardly do anything about it. And for argument sake, even if it my arguments could be construed to be demanding - Rob could have just said it straight away that he deems it to be offensive. I would have surely clarified that it was not my intention to do so. But instead he chose to say :
so for people like "HereToLearn" who do nothing but bash us and trash talk from their Pie Hole, (without adding anything positive to the conversation, or contributing anything useful other than "guesses" that are generally inaccurate all of the time)
HereToLearn,
In your infinite wisdom, why on God's Green Earth do you "think" wine-qt
and
who is going to pay for the future dev expenses for your 'critical issues' that have to be developed faster (than our current schedule which IMO is pretty darn fast)?  You?  You haven't even answered more than 50% of the questions correctly in the past; the results are worse than guessing.  You came back to Gridcoin because you see the value here.

Is this the normal way of talking to a person ? The tone of these very clear and is intended to be an insult. I am amazed at how I am being accused of using strong words here !! Plus I am not the only one who has had problems with erratic behavior on Robs part, there are others too. Before judging my posts to be "demanding", I implore you to read the "insulting" posts above that Rob has directed towards me, that in spite of any provocation on my part.

Hope that makes things more clear.
zulzedd

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:20:07 PM

Pool mining surprises - I'm not sure whether my pool mining is working as it should.

I switched one machine over to pool mining a few days ago just to see what would happen. I did not record an exact timestamp (sorry). The machine had reliably found a block or three every day before that. It's a core i7 with an R9 290X. Nothing happened for a day or so and then it mined a block of 150, looking exactly like one of the solo blocks it used to mine. Nothing for another day or two and then around 2 am my time it said it mined about 34 coins. I'm guessing this is the first actual return from the pool, but in the Transactions wallet display the address shown is an address I created for sending coins from another of my machines, not the default wallet address as used for the leaderboard.

I'm certain that other machine did not send the 34 coins (2 am). It has reliably sent to that address fairly often though, and all transactions match up between the two machines except this 34-coin mined(?) transaction.

So I'm left wondering if this is an actual pool mining result. If so, it seems very much less productive than solo mining so far (I realize this may turn into a steady trickle, but it has not yet happened). Also, it seems to have been sent to an inappropriate address, although to the correct wallet, or perhaps is just inappropriately displayed.

The getpoolminingmode command from the console shows "true". I'm using Gridcoin version 75. The wallet is encrypted, fwiw.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

I wrote about same things about 2-3 weeks ago(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=324118.msg4610130#msg4610130). I switched to pool mining yesterday and i see same - no payouts from pool, but i got 1 150 GRC payment, as if i solo mining. Previously i mined in pool for 3-4 days and was gettin payouts at 30-70 GRC after week (!) from when i started to mine in pool. I didn't calculadet profits, but seems pool mining working correctly, but with great latency because of Wallet Hour.

Aeron 1.250.000 CryptoBonusMiles Giveaway, 250 Winners, 5.000 CryptoBonusMiles per winner and guaranteed airdrop for ARN holders until 30.11.2018.
Follow the link to join Giveaway 
zulzedd

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:28:06 PM

Hey Heretolearn,

Example:

In my opinion Rob behaves a little offencive in this situation. From my point of view "heretolearn" not pointing what to do — he is giving nice advices. And i must agree with him in most points. Cryptocurrency community NEED finalised miner with mining ability. It's like axiom. I tryed to attract people to GRC, but very often their argument to blame coin was - "No linux wallet, WTF??". Emulating Windows executable with wine isn't solution.
Best regards.

Aeron 1.250.000 CryptoBonusMiles Giveaway, 250 Winners, 5.000 CryptoBonusMiles per winner and guaranteed airdrop for ARN holders until 30.11.2018.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:46:44 PM

I wrote about same things about 2-3 weeks ago(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=324118.msg4610130#msg4610130). I switched to pool mining yesterday and i see same - no payouts from pool, but i got 1 150 GRC payment, as if i solo mining. Previously i mined in pool for 3-4 days and was gettin payouts at 30-70 GRC after week (!) from when i started to mine in pool. I didn't calculadet profits, but seems pool mining working correctly, but with great latency because of Wallet Hour.

Thanks, zulzedd. I had forgotten about your earlier post - back then I had not yet tried pool mining so it went right over my head at the time.

Sounds like we have similar effects when pool mining. Did you notice whether the address your pool mining payouts went to was normal (presumably your default/leaderboard address)? Mine - only the one so far - showed as being sent to a receiving address I use for a different purpose, one that the mining pool presumably should not have been aware of. I'm now guessing it's a glitch in the wallet display - perhaps it shows "last referenced address" or some such thing.

I'll keep this machine in pool mode a while longer and see what develops.
anonerd

Activity: 213

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:04:31 PM

Emotions hinder productivity, thus I would flat-out excuse any rudeness in this pressure-some constellation. Any doubts about that? please consult the tone on Linux kernel mailinglist: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/23/75

This coin is still in its adolescence, i preferred to think of it as being nearly there, but various issues prevail. Time spent in preparation is more valuable than time in repentance. hence, this slow start could be seen as a gift. Rob articulated that the workload is burdensome. maybe there are parts in which all of us can give a helping hand?

Still waisting energy on Proof-of-Work? Use your Rigs for scientific progress!
Member of Gridcoin-Germany - http://uscore.net (en) - http://uscore.de (de) - http://gridcoin.us (ann)
TribalBob

Activity: 1288
Merit: 257

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:25:15 PM

Thanks Bob!  You are the man.  Hey do you have the link handy for the start up guide you created?

Sure thing: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=403734.0

Also, to everyone asking where to advertise that you accept GRC for goods and/or services, you will want to post that on the "Marketplace" board under the "goods" or "services" sub-boards.

If you accept GRC for goods: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=51.0
If you accept GRC for services: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=52.0

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
heretolearn

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 09:12:42 PM

Emotions hinder productivity, thus I would flat-out excuse any rudeness in this pressure-some constellation. Any doubts about that? please consult the tone on Linux kernel mailinglist: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/23/75

This coin is still in its adolescence, i preferred to think of it as being nearly there, but various issues prevail. Time spent in preparation is more valuable than time in repentance. hence, this slow start could be seen as a gift. Rob articulated that the workload is burdensome. maybe there are parts in which all of us can give a helping hand?

Haha that link actually made me laugh .. was a fun read .. thanks for that .

Sure we can all help ... all for it.
Inrideo

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 11:19:28 PM

Ready to test. I've got Lubuntu installed, AMD drivers installed, and cgminer up and running.
But where do I find the wine-qt version of gridcoin? I checked the location in the instructions located on the github repo and the wine.zip was a 404.

andrewp

Activity: 144

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 01:42:50 AM

Everyone please vote!
We each get 10 votes per 24 hours, please remember it everyday.

http://www.allcrypt.com/beta/voting.php

Have a great weekend!
Andrew.

Proud Gridcoiner since 2013!
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 02:26:31 AM

I just put in some votes.

Everyone please vote!

Have a great weekend!
Andrew.
Inrideo

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 04:51:25 AM

Ah ha. I found a wine version a directory deeper than what was listed in the readme file on github.
Now I have the wallet and boinc running. Not sure how to mine yet though.

heretolearn

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 04:59:01 AM

Been doing that as often as I can Cheesy
Everyone please vote!

Have a great weekend!
Andrew.
Inrideo

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 08:03:19 AM

So I have the wallet running in Wine, in server mode as far as I can tell. And it's seeing BOINC just fine. But cgminer doesn't see it.
Once that's out of the way I guess it's golden.

zulzedd

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:40:11 AM

Thanks, zulzedd. I had forgotten about your earlier post - back then I had not yet tried pool mining so it went right over my head at the time.

Sounds like we have similar effects when pool mining. Did you notice whether the address your pool mining payouts went to was normal (presumably your default/leaderboard address)? Mine - only the one so far - showed as being sent to a receiving address I use for a different purpose, one that the mining pool presumably should not have been aware of. I'm now guessing it's a glitch in the wallet display - perhaps it shows "last referenced address" or some such thing.

I'll keep this machine in pool mode a while longer and see what develops.

About payments addreses. I created new address for escrowing, just for single use. After 2 days i started mining in pool and was receiving payments to "Default" address and to the new address in rotation.

Pages: « 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: