Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:36:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597301 times)
jcarl987

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:20:35 AM

What OS are you running, did you add gridcoin wallet exception to windows firewall?

Hello! I can't sync my wallet. I've tried adding various nodes from different posts and no luck. I also tried to type 'upgrade' in the console and after what looks like some file downloads I get an error saying 'An exception occurred during a WebClient request..' over and over.

I've tried with normal and beta versions on 2 different computers with the same results. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks for your reply! I'm running win 7 on one and 8 on the other. And yes I added the firewall exception Smiley

TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZarkMark

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:31:41 AM

What OS are you running, did you add gridcoin wallet exception to windows firewall?

Hello! I can't sync my wallet. I've tried adding various nodes from different posts and no luck. I also tried to type 'upgrade' in the console and after what looks like some file downloads I get an error saying 'An exception occurred during a WebClient request..' over and over.

I've tried with normal and beta versions on 2 different computers with the same results. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks for your reply! I'm running win 7 on one and 8 on the other. And yes I added the firewall exception Smiley
Then I have no idea.Someone else please help.
andrewp

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:48:25 AM

Hi,

please don't use the beta as this version currently works with testnet only.
If you're getting this error while upgrading, run Gridcoin as admin and then upgrade again...worked for me every time.

Hope this helps.
Andrew.

Proud Gridcoiner since 2013!
andrewp

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:59:19 AM

Hate to rain on u guys parade but... If I can't download the wallet from the manufacturers website now and have it sync, what's the point?  Assume I'm not mining, Boincing or know this forum exists, that I bought or someone gave me some Gridcoin, where am I to store it?  Not going to .conf this or delete that app data and then spin my head and enter this line in the whatever.  Who's going to use this coin other than miners, geeks, tweebs, losers, etc.  Back to the point, no wallet no coin no future except for miners.

Hi,

You can download the wallet and have it sync.

There's a new version with the new cpu mining and a more applike functionality being worked on very hard and is going to be live very soon. Along with a completely redesigned website.
You're welcome to help with the latest testing.
https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/9612-testers-wanted-test-net-gridcoin-testing-thread/

Andrew.

jcarl987

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 06:19:38 AM

Hi,

If you're getting this error while upgrading, run Gridcoin as admin and then upgrade again...worked for me every time.

Hope this helps.
Andrew.

Thanks, Andrew! I was sure I had tried this already, but seems not! Wallet is syncing now.

andrewp

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 12:09:37 PM

Hi,

Hope this helps.
Andrew.

Thanks, Andrew! I was sure I had tried this already, but seems not! Wallet is syncing now.

Np, I'm glad it helped!

Andrew.

anonerd

Activity: 213

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 08:39:30 PM

what do you say, curecoin launched prod:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=603757.0
Gridcoin getting mentioned.

Still waisting energy on Proof-of-Work? Use your Rigs for scientific progress!
Member of Gridcoin-Germany - http://uscore.net (en) - http://uscore.de (de) - http://gridcoin.us (ann)
BenHur

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:09:10 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 10:34:45 PM by BenHur

I have learn something about Curecoin.

DEV mention that:
The folders get 76% of the total coins (80% of the coins distributed per day). SHA256 miners get 19% of the total coins (20% of the coins distributed per day). 2% of the total funds are distributed to people who donated to project development. The other 3% is dedicated to Curecoin developers, and will be used for paying for development costs.

Floding@home can get 7488 coins a day.
In order to get your coins ,you should register in the Folding pool.

And the more points you get in per day ,the more coins you can get a day.

DEV rise a example,see :
Currently, the folding pool pays out a certain amount of Curecoins per day, right now 7488 coins. The PPD represents the points that you earned in the last 24 hours, and is used in calculating the distribution. Say, for example, that all Curecoin folders combined folded 10,000,000 Points yesterday, and you folded 100,000. You would get 1% of that day's payout, which would account for 74.88 CUR.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=603757.msg6660613#msg6660613

The problem is  GPUs do much better than CPUs,one R9 280X can get about 100000PPD,i5 3470 only get  10000PPD.
So,I think Curecoin will be a game of GPUs,not CPUs.
c-cex
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1001

CryptoCurrency EXchange: https://c-cex.com

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 01:24:15 PM

Trade Gridcoin for USD!

https://c-cex.com/?p=grc-usd

PayPal withdrawal fee lowered to 5%!
Many options for USD deposits available: https://www.xmlgold.eu, Payeer, EgoPay

CryptoCurrency EXchange: https://c-cex.com
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:32:31 PM

I like curecoin too, but if you think about it, I can start a new coin with a massive premine and start a folding team, and just distribute coins based on how much everyone in the team donates. So it is great for science, but in terms of technological advancement it offers very little. The idea is very easy to duplicate. The other thing is that, "Curecoin" is a registered business in the USA, which mean the gov can shut this thing down anytime they want for any reason they want. Bitcoin and other cryptos can't just be shut down so easily. I have one of
my rigs on Curecoin right now to test it, and so far it seems to work great and I am getting some nice results, but as I said before, it does not bring anything technologically innovative.

DEV mention that:
The folders get 76% of the total coins (80% of the coins distributed per day). SHA256 miners get 19% of the total coins (20% of the coins distributed per day). 2% of the total funds are distributed to people who donated to project development. The other 3% is dedicated to Curecoin developers, and will be used for paying for development costs.

DEV rise a example,see :
Currently, the folding pool pays out a certain amount of Curecoins per day, right now 7488 coins. The PPD represents the points that you earned in the last 24 hours, and is used in calculating the distribution. Say, for example, that all Curecoin folders combined folded 10,000,000 Points yesterday, and you folded 100,000. You would get 1% of that day's payout, which would account for 74.88 CUR.

The problem is  GPUs do much better than CPUs,one R9 280X can get about 10000PPD,i5 3470 only get  1000PPD.
stormia

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:31:45 AM

I like curecoin too, but if you think about it, I can start a new coin with a massive premine and start a folding team, and just distribute coins based on how much everyone in the team donates. So it is great for science, but in terms of technological advancement it offers very little. The idea is very easy to duplicate. The other thing is that, "Curecoin" is a registered business in the USA, which mean the gov can shut this thing down anytime they want for any reason they want. Bitcoin and other cryptos can't just be shut down so easily. I have one of
my rigs on Curecoin right now to test it, and so far it seems to work great and I am getting some nice results, but as I said before, it does not bring anything technologically innovative.

DEV mention that:

DEV rise a example,see :

The problem is  GPUs do much better than CPUs,one R9 280X can get about 10000PPD,i5 3470 only get  1000PPD.

Is the only difference between curecoin and gridcoin that one is FAH (stanford) and the other is BOINC (berkeley)?
404notfound

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:15:42 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2014, 05:25:57 AM by 404notfound

Is the only difference between curecoin and gridcoin that one is FAH (stanford) and the other is BOINC (berkeley)?
Right now they are similiar however curecoin has 2 methods of mining at once sha256 and the folding miners. With curecoin those giving the network security do not benefit folding projects. They are also less likely to continue supporting the network once mining becomes less profitable. You can't feel as good just giving network security as say finding a cure for cancer. Those miners will drop off as soon as there's no money to be made causing a less secure network and higher likelihood of a fork. I feel that gridcoin has an advantage because of this. Also the new wallet looks amazing. Next gen stuff. More advanced than nearly any other coin.

What gridcoin really needs is an effective marketing program. Currently curecoin is winning in that department. I truly hope both of them become the most successful coins. It perplexes me how so many seem so interested in all the shitcoins than the ones that truly make a difference.
Iris Cea7k5

Activity: 16

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:29:55 AM

Coin and the project look very nice. Good luck and please do well your work..
BenHur

Activity: 69

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 10:38:28 AM

I like BOINC.
The client has multiple languages.And it is very easy to switch one project to another.
Folding@home is good too,but only English. Undecided
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:06:59 PM

Gridcoin has custom Boinc projects available and soon paid computing projects like 3D rendering/Stock option analysis etc.. So there is quite a bit of difference between Gridcoin and Curecoin and they way they function. I mine both coins because I think both of them serve an important purpose!

The new POB(Proof of Boinc) that is being finished up right now will actually make the Boinc calculations part of the blockchain.
Gridcoin (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 01:54:25 PM

Hate to rain on u guys parade but... If I can't download the wallet from the manufacturers website now and have it sync, what's the point?  Assume I'm not mining, Boincing or know this forum exists, that I bought or someone gave me some Gridcoin, where am I to store it?  Not going to .conf this or delete that app data and then spin my head and enter this line in the whatever.  Who's going to use this coin other than miners, geeks, tweebs, losers, etc.  Back to the point, no wallet no coin no future except for miners.
I apologize for the long delays-- Ive been active on the supernode project and the boinc serverside finance design, and of course we are trying to roll out cpu miners.  Im going to try to prioritize more time over here.

Clapper,  the latest prod version should still sync; Ive reinstalled on a couple of my nodes without an issue.
Will you please post a specific problem that occurs after installing the MSI from gridcoin.us?  I will monitor this thread and help you get started.
The config is very simple once you find the mining console | GPU Configuration tab (for scrypt mining).

Rob H.

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas
Gridcoin (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 01:59:08 PM

Right now they are similiar however curecoin has 2 methods of mining at once sha256 and the folding miners. With curecoin those giving the network security do not benefit folding projects. They are also less likely to continue supporting the network once mining becomes less profitable. You can't feel as good just giving network security as say finding a cure for cancer. Those miners will drop off as soon as there's no money to be made causing a less secure network and higher likelihood of a fork. I feel that gridcoin has an advantage because of this. Also the new wallet looks amazing. Next gen stuff. More advanced than nearly any other coin.

What gridcoin really needs is an effective marketing program. Currently curecoin is winning in that department. I truly hope both of them become the most successful coins. It perplexes me how so many seem so interested in all the shitcoins than the ones that truly make a difference.

Thanks for your compliments.  I couldn't have said it better.

Rest assured we have a deep grassroots effort to fix the marketing problem in a couple of months.  Ive been receiving 10 emails a day with ideas and about 1 a day from volunteers who actually want to help promote Gridcoin.  The issue is, we really want the whole coin to work cross platform properly (ie the cpu mining release is much more than that, its not only a redesign but its functionality is totally cross platform).  We want all these features to work on every platform first, then we can go full bore with marketing.

Rob

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:28:51 PM

From what I understand the GRC wallet now works on both Linux and Mac natively. So that should make GRC much more accessible.

Thanks for your compliments.  I couldn't have said it better.

Rest assured we have a deep grassroots effort to fix the marketing problem in a couple of months.  Ive been receiving 10 emails a day with ideas and about 1 a day from volunteers who actually want to help promote Gridcoin.  The issue is, we really want the whole coin to work cross platform properly (ie the cpu mining release is much more than that, its not only a redesign but its functionality is totally cross platform).  We want all these features to work on every platform first, then we can go full bore with marketing.

Rob

colin012

Activity: 87

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:23:38 PM

Hey GRC is awesome but I wonder why it hasn't gained much popularity. Anyone have any insight?

NXT Organization Marketing
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:56:44 PM

There was a lot of technical challenges with Gridcoin and now things are finally starting to fall into place.

Hey GRC is awesome but I wonder why it hasn't gained much popularity. Anyone have any insight?
Pages: « 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: