Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:54:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597301 times)
anonerd

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 12:42:09 PM

For POR you need coins in your account that are "staked". This is not like POW where you find blocks with actual hashing!! Do you understand that? You either need to convert old GRC classic to new POR GRC or you have to wait till the around the 20th of October when the POR GRC starts trading on the exchanges and get some POR GRC  so you can start staking in your wallet!! IF you have no coins right now in your POR wallet you will not receive anything!! You need to have coins in your POR wallet!!

This wasn't clear to me as well. The wallet says "boinc mining" and it's not true.
Also it's a pity I have compiled, installed, worked on it and boinc-end and I'll not get anything for days, cause I need to have stake power for a coin which currently I can't buy.
Not everybody's been following the coin for months.
I've gotten in a couple weeks ago and read a lot of docs, but I didn't notice that for POR I need POS, and it seems I'm not the only one.
To be an early adopter is never easy Smiley
We offer free startercoins on http://uscore.net

Still waisting energy on Proof-of-Work? Use your Rigs for scientific progress!
Member of Gridcoin-Germany - http://uscore.net (en) - http://uscore.de (de) - http://gridcoin.us (ann)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pallas
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 01:13:10 PM

For POR you need coins in your account that are "staked". This is not like POW where you find blocks with actual hashing!! Do you understand that? You either need to convert old GRC classic to new POR GRC or you have to wait till the around the 20th of October when the POR GRC starts trading on the exchanges and get some POR GRC  so you can start staking in your wallet!! IF you have no coins right now in your POR wallet you will not receive anything!! You need to have coins in your POR wallet!!

This wasn't clear to me as well. The wallet says "boinc mining" and it's not true.
Also it's a pity I have compiled, installed, worked on it and boinc-end and I'll not get anything for days, cause I need to have stake power for a coin which currently I can't buy.
I've gotten in a couple weeks ago and read a lot of docs, but I didn't notice that for POR I need POS, and it seems I'm not the only one.
To be an early adopter is never easy Smiley
We offer free startercoins on http://uscore.net

thanks I'll try that!
I really want to try PoR but at the same time I don't wanna mess with exchanges and that burning thing :-)

alicea

Activity: 1050
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 04:08:40 PM

My wallet says "not mining" and it's not true neither...

What?? We need PoS for PoR?? It's a joke or I havn't understood? We must buy the coins first to earn them later for scientific computations we do with our hardware and our electricity? The difference between PoS and PoR was clear but now it's not.

RTMoney

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 04:22:30 PM

What?? We need PoS for PoR?? It's a joke or I havn't understood? We must buy the coins first to earn them later for scientific computations we do with our hardware and our electricity? The difference between PoS and PoR was clear but now it's not.

There are two block chains.  Gridcoin-Classic and Gridcoin-Research.  Both are currently live and will run side by side for the next 6 months.  It may be helpful for you to read the wiki:

http://wiki.gridcoin.us

Be sure to click through and read the sub pages paying special attention to the Proof-of-Research, Events and the FAQ.  It is still a work in progress but that is currently the best resource for up to date information regarding Gridcoin right now.
alicea

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 07:48:01 PM

There are two block chains.  Gridcoin-Classic and Gridcoin-Research.  Both are currently live and will run side by side for the next 6 months.  It may be helpful for you to read the wiki:

http://wiki.gridcoin.us

Be sure to click through and read the sub pages paying special attention to the Proof-of-Research, Events and the FAQ.  It is still a work in progress but that is currently the best resource for up to date information regarding Gridcoin right now.

Could you answer to each pallas's and my questions clearly (yes/no)?

A L I E N
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 09:31:57 PM

In case anyone missed it:
The latest POR client 3.1.6.3 with increased network security is release: http://download.gridcoin.us/download/downloadstake/GridcoinResearch.msi
Please delete you blockchain and redownload if you are not on the same last block as the explorer: http://explorer.gridcoin.us/
A L I E N
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 09:39:43 PM

Yes you need at least 1 GRC to validate your node like POS to begin minting POR blocks, but unlike simple interest your minting is based on your research participation.  There will be many giveaways in the future (there is one currently as anonerd mentioned: http://uscore.net) for people to get started. In the mean time anyone looking to get started will be helped on the forums.
alicea

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 10:04:17 PM

Yes you need at least 1 GRC to validate your node like POS to begin minting POR blocks, but unlike simple interest your minting is based on your research participation.  There will be many giveaways in the future (there is one currently as anonerd mentioned: http://uscore.net) for people to get started. In the mean time anyone looking to get started will be helped on the forums.

Thank you for the concrete info.

I'm helping you testing, pushing up this thread, and finally donating my computing power and electricity to your project, and still I'm not 100% sure if it really works. I will support your project in long term in future too, because I think it's a really good idea (one of the best ideas in cryptoworld), but except investing my computing power and time, I will not invest my BTC, PLN nor EUR.
Here's my PoR GRC address: S5ePpF26ehemfCrrmkczLvnbXfvAazSYM6  I'd like to test if it really works as you have written.

A L I E N
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 03:47:58 AM

I'm helping you testing, pushing up this thread, and finally donating my computing power and electricity to your project, and still I'm not 100% sure if it really works. I will support your project in long term in future too, because I think it's a really good idea (one of the best ideas in cryptoworld), but except investing my computing power and time, I will not invest my BTC, PLN nor EUR.
Here's my PoR GRC address: S5ePpF26ehemfCrrmkczLvnbXfvAazSYM6  I'd like to test if it really works as you have written.

Sent 100
pallas
Legendary

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 10:08:13 AM

Sent 100

Can I have a couple too, so I can enable PoR, please?

SEmmy4eKr6g35SHP3nvarycM1GW9rYgom7

Thanks very much!

alicea

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 01:56:00 PM

Sent 100

Thank you. I will see it when I get synced, now I'm still "1 hour behind" (in the morning it was "1 hour behind" too). I don't know why it happens. I thought that I'm on wrong fork again, but checked block explorer and there's the same block number. Wallet version is v3.1.6.2-g-research (yesterday's version).

traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 02:57:47 PM

Latest version is Gridcoin Research 5.95/3.1.6.3: http://download.gridcoin.us/download/downloadstake/GridcoinResearch.msi

Yes you need at least 1 GRC to validate your node like POS to begin minting POR blocks, but unlike simple interest your minting is based on your research participation.  There will be many giveaways in the future (there is one currently as anonerd mentioned: http://uscore.net) for people to get started. In the mean time anyone looking to get started will be helped on the forums.

Sent 100

Thank you. I will see it when I get synced, now I'm still "1 hour behind" (in the morning it was "1 hour behind" too). I don't know why it happens. I thought that I'm on wrong fork again, but checked block explorer and there's the same block number. Wallet version is v3.1.6.2-g-research (yesterday's version).
pallas
Legendary

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 03:49:01 PM

Sent 100

Thanks very much!

someone please send me even a single coin, I'll give it back as soon as I mine the first block.

traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 03:54:05 PM

Why don't you signup for the 20 POR GRC giveaway @ http://uscore.net ?

Here's my PoR GRC address: S5ePpF26ehemfCrrmkczLvnbXfvAazSYM6  I'd like to test if it really works as you have written.

Sent 100

Thanks very much!

someone please send me even a single coin, I'll give it back as soon as I mine the first block.
pallas
Legendary

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 04:14:21 PM

Why don't you signup for the 20 POR GRC giveaway @ http://uscore.net ?

Here's my PoR GRC address: S5ePpF26ehemfCrrmkczLvnbXfvAazSYM6  I'd like to test if it really works as you have written.

Sent 100

Thanks very much!

Already did it, but to get the "startup pack" you need to wait :-)
I have 3 projects well over 100 RAC, boinc mining for nothing.

A L I E N
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 04:36:37 PM

Sent 100

Thanks very much!

sent 100
alicea

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 06:23:24 PM

Latest version is Gridcoin Research 5.95/3.1.6.3: http://download.gridcoin.us/download/downloadstake/GridcoinResearch.msi

OK Smiley I've taken the new version from github and built. Synchronises much faster Smiley

There's one interesting thing: the wallet checks and prints the boost library version (in clientmodel.cpp and rpcconsole.cpp). On the machine with boost 1.55 the compilation goes without any problems, on other machines (boost 1.48) make returns error, so I had to comment out the lines in code that print boost version. After this the wallet gets compiled, works but the debug window says unknown boost version. Tried to think why it is like this but I don't know...

100 GRC are here, now I'm waiting how nice the PoR will go Smiley

pallas
Legendary

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:59:26 PM

sent 100

thanks!
I've just git pull and recompiled, starting from clean blockchain and peers.dat
Synced fast and fine, but now:

"errors" : "WARNING: Invalid checkpoint found! Displayed transactions may not be correct! You may need to upgrade, or notify developers."

alicea

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 09:44:02 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2014, 11:12:34 PM by alicea

pallas, compiled the new version? every day we have a new wallet version Smiley you shouldn't be too far Smiley

I am laughing that the wallet says that my "guesstimated time to earn a reward" is 442 days (EDIT 516 days... after a few hours running the wallet). OK, I've put  my CPUs only, but waiting more than a year sounds curious. Something must be wrong with the wallet.

BTW: I've been fighting for over a week to make my GPUs work... Today I've switched them from fah to boinc, but the problem is the same. Testing the littlest: radeon 6850, that supports opencl (over 1 MH on qubit). But no way to make this GPU make useful computing... I've read so many posts on forums from people who want to lower their gpu utilisation, because it runs 100% by default but I have the opposite problem: GPU goes idle or works at 1-10% :/ I've tried everything I could find online and don't know what to do.

anonerd

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 09:20:37 AM

pallas, compiled the new version? every day we have a new wallet version Smiley you shouldn't be too far Smiley

I am laughing that the wallet says that my "guesstimated time to earn a reward" is 442 days (EDIT 516 days... after a few hours running the wallet). OK, I've put  my CPUs only, but waiting more than a year sounds curious. Something must be wrong with the wallet.

BTW: I've been fighting for over a week to make my GPUs work... Today I've switched them from fah to boinc, but the problem is the same. Testing the littlest: radeon 6850, that supports opencl (over 1 MH on qubit). But no way to make this GPU make useful computing... I've read so many posts on forums from people who want to lower their gpu utilisation, because it runs 100% by default but I have the opposite problem: GPU goes idle or works at 1-10% :/ I've tried everything I could find online and don't know what to do.
You are already used to BOINC, so I might be stating the obvious here. Just check again, maybe it could be of help.
Are you working on a whitelisted GPU-only project? You can check for info in your BOINC-Manager or on the project pages. Besides, idle times for GPU can configured in BOINC manager. Then, there is a thread for help regarding setup: https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1428-technical-support-thread/

Still waisting energy on Proof-of-Work? Use your Rigs for scientific progress!
Member of Gridcoin-Germany - http://uscore.net (en) - http://uscore.de (de) - http://gridcoin.us (ann)
Pages: « 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: