Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:49:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Liquid cooling HD5970  (Read 24105 times)
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 01, 2011, 07:18:10 PM

Another thing: WAF!

I have a liquid cooled miner.  It is dead silent,  but the main point is that it heats our bathroom floor.  Pictures says more than words, so I attached a few.

(image) My computer. An oldish Athlon64 X2 in a cabinet from a previous century.  Sorry about the mess.  The cabinet is usually closed for optimal airflow.  You see the water tube entering at the bottom, water passing through the 5970 water block (the shop were sold out of nipples fitting my tubing, and put in some 1/2" tubing and adapters, so it is a bit messy in there), then through my CPU block before heated water leaves at the top.  The direction has a purpose.  If I start the computer with no pump, the water will flow by itself due to convection.  Convection isn't enough for cooling the 5970 as well, so the pump must be running when mining.  And compare the size of the stock cooler in the lower right corner with the water block.  The card is now half as thick, and the PCI socket next to it is usable again!

(image) Tubes going up through the roof above.  This is not finished.  I'll make better connectors closer to the ceiling and box them in later.  The thing on the tube to the right is a flow indicator.  The cable coming out of the same hole and going to a RJ45 socket (not connected yet), connects a series of temperature sensors embedded in the floor and walls, and a temperature and humidity sensor next to the fan in the bathroom.

(image) Tubes under my bathroom floor and one of the temperature sensors (inside a blue shrink hose).  This is now buried in cement and covered with nice tiles.

Reservoir where the water returns.  Inside there is a small pump (300 l/min, 0.5m head), which keeps the water flow going and bubbles out of the tubes.  Water level inside here is 0-level.  In the tubes above the water level in the reservoir, there is actually a vacuum, and the water pressure inside my computer is low.

The best thing about my water cooling and floor heating is that my wife keeps nagging me to buy a second 5970 to make the floor warmer.  Beat this with a air cooled system. :-)

WOW, this is probably the most awesome thing of the century.
Respect.

Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:27:49 AM

couldn't you just do the bathroom heat thing to your whole house? but i'd think you'd need a bit more 5970's hehe...but kudos to you for the bathroom thing

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
sifo

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:24:08 AM

Epic!
This is way to roll. :-D
thegold

Activity: 114
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 02:29:10 PM

wow... nice thread... in my opinion, cost of liquid system is not rational for mining... i use fans for cooling my rig.. Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: