Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:26:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why hasn't a pool owner done this?  (Read 1552 times)
Jude Austin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1140
Merit: 1000

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 07:43:57 PM

Why hasn't a pool owner modified SHA coin clients so that all SHA coins can be merged mined at the same time?

There are a lot of very intelligent people in this forum and it appears that this is a feasible task.

So why hasn't it been done?

Buy or sell $100 of Crypto and get $10!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rpg

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 07:49:36 PM

Why hasn't a pool owner modified SHA coin clients so that all SHA coins can be merged mined at the same time?

There are a lot of very intelligent people in this forum and it appears that this is a feasible task.

maybe because all ALT SHA coins are even less profitable then BTC?
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 07:57:11 PM

Because doing this requires hard forks in these coins, so a pool owner must also convince the majority of users to accept the change.
Jude Austin (OP)
Legendary

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 07:57:16 PM

I understand that but if you could mine multiple coins at once using the same hash power, then you only increase profitability.

Jude Austin (OP)
Legendary

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 07:58:25 PM

Because doing this requires hard forks in these coins, so a pool owner must also convince the majority of users to accept the change.

If you told people they could mine BTC and say ZET at the same time, I am sure they would have no problem accepting the changes.

eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 07:59:56 PM

To add merged mining, the altcoin requires a hardfork.  Additionally, once it's added, you're guaranteed said altcoin will be WORTHLESS.  Merged mining reduces the value of coins, period.  A bunch of people with no interest in the coin will sell them at whatever price some idiot is willing to pay.  Meanwhile, the difficulty shoots through the roof at the same time.  The coin would be dead in under a month.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 08:00:41 PM

I understand that but if you could mine multiple coins at once using the same hash power, then you only increase profitability.

Barely. These coins are worth nothing, if you start merge mining then, you'll increase difficulty and the profitability increase won't even cover costs of running additional software. That's why almost no pools mine anything except for NMC.
Jude Austin (OP)
Legendary

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 08:03:22 PM

To add merged mining, the altcoin requires a hardfork.  Additionally, once it's added, you're guaranteed said altcoin will be WORTHLESS.  Merged mining reduces the value of coins, period.  A bunch of people with no interest in the coin will sell them at whatever price some idiot is willing to pay.  Meanwhile, the difficulty shoots through the roof at the same time.  The coin would be dead in under a month.

Very true.

I guess I never took the massive power of BTC in consideration when merging with another coin.

Jude Austin (OP)
Legendary

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 08:26:44 PM

Thanks for the input everyone!

I got the answer I was looking for.

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 11:02:38 PM

Hell, I figured something like that would be obvious
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 11:06:30 PM

well, i've got a query as well

Why does your pool have so many miners with such a horrible efficiency rate?  Both in BTC and LTC.  BTC is 75%, LTC is 80%.  Not only that, but there's a 2% fee, when if you needed to use a remote p2pool server, you have about fifty to choose from on p2pool-nodes.info .. does charging a 2% fee incur some measure of legitimacy that being free does not?    hmm, I think I may be on to something there

oh, you should also upgrade your version of bitcoind, to get rid of those 5s latency times
Jude Austin (OP)
Legendary

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 02:20:17 AM

well, i've got a query as well

Why does your pool have so many miners with such a horrible efficiency rate?  Both in BTC and LTC.  BTC is 75%, LTC is 80%.  Not only that, but there's a 2% fee, when if you needed to use a remote p2pool server, you have about fifty to choose from on p2pool-nodes.info .. does charging a 2% fee incur some measure of legitimacy that being free does not?    hmm, I think I may be on to something there

oh, you should also upgrade your version of bitcoind, to get rid of those 5s latency times

I'll be honest with you I think it's the domain name.

And as for efficiency,  it looks like the entire P2Pool network has the same.

And as I have said before about any pool, don't expect a pool that charges no fee to be around for ever.

Look in the past, especially with PPS pools, any pool that was "free" no longer exists.

2% is nothing compared to some other pools, and I think it is more than fair since P2Pool is a resource hog.

I actually lose money on a per month basis hosting the website, even with the fee.

On to something?

Oh you got me!

I actually put guns to peoples heads to mine at P2Pool.org, that's my trick!

revilo

Activity: 543
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 11:56:56 PM

My P2pool is free Smiley

pool.play4.co.uk:9332
Humax

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

The law of the universe!

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:30:56 PM

Bitparking does it!!!

I assume their "simple" website without pretty dashboard like BTCguild, Bitminter etc. is keeping them small.

Help me feed my hamster! Donate sunflower seeds!
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:40:30 PM

Bitparking does it!!!

I assume their "simple" website without pretty dashboard like BTCguild, Bitminter etc. is keeping them small.

Bitparking only does it for a handful.  There's a lot of others.  My assumption is that's what this thread was about.  Specifically the few SHA256 coins which are "almost" worth as much as BTC.  Of course, the second they become merged minable they'll drop to virtually worthless very quickly, which is why they don't allow it.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 02:06:42 AM

s/majority/all remaining users/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: