Bitcoin Forum
December 09, 2016, 03:37:45 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best mining case  (Read 7623 times)
marvinmartian

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 07:16:38 PM

would laying the bare motherboard on exposed metal short the motherboard? Those cubes seem extremely efficient other wise.

The cubes I linked are plastic-coated metal.  You'd have to tear the plastic (eg., with a set of pliers or some other sharp tool) then be unlucky enough to short.

A very basic modicum of common sense should prevent the above.

That being said, you can also fry a mobo by not properly grounding yourself before touching it too.

"... and the geeks shall inherit the earth."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Iyeman

Activity: 189

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 07:51:23 PM

would laying the bare motherboard on exposed metal short the motherboard? Those cubes seem extremely efficient other wise.

The cubes I linked are plastic-coated metal.  You'd have to tear the plastic (eg., with a set of pliers or some other sharp tool) then be unlucky enough to short.

A very basic modicum of common sense should prevent the above.

That being said, you can also fry a mobo by not properly grounding yourself before touching it too.

Pretty much any metal that deals with clothes (which is what the main purpose of these cubes are for) is plastic coated to make sure there is no chance of it rusting onto the clothes.  But if you are worried about it, just cut some plywood to slide in and mount everything to it.

BTC: 1aombYbEyggW4uKuX2VgYBjPMu8yxcYCX
marvinmartian

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:13:16 PM

Pretty much any metal that deals with clothes (which is what the main purpose of these cubes are for) is plastic coated to make sure there is no chance of it rusting onto the clothes.  But if you are worried about it, just cut some plywood to slide in and mount everything to it.

I'd advise against plywood.  In the 1/10000 chance that something sparks, shorts, or overheats critically you want as little flammable fuel possible nearby.  Plus, wood does actually conduct electricity.  It also retains moisture.  Some plywood can also emit toxic fumes when heated up.

I know that all sounds paranoid.  So take it as you will.

That being said, in more than 20 years of professional experience working with computing technology, I've only seen one machine come close to igniting.  A NeXT cube optical drive in my lab (back in the 1990s) got hot enough to start smoldering.  Thankfully, I smelled the smoke in time.  I'm 99% sure it was the dust that had built up in the drive over the years.

I suppose you could also use some adhesive spray on glue and aluminum foil to create "fire resistant" plywood slabs too.  But you'd run into the fume issue there too I suspect.

rearwheels

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:53:41 AM

I have a rubber/plastic floor mat between the motherboard and the plastic coated wire frame.

Monitor multiple pools - www.btc-poolwatch.com
(forum)

If it's useful, please consider donating: 18bvrJ9Kouxwv8g4tLUemsv1GuxgGk8Kn7
(Pls PM me so I can thank you.)
catfish

Activity: 270

teh giant catfesh

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 06:42:21 PM

Desk fans are a pain due to their bulk where the motor is.

Anyone know where to get box fans that can fit in a wind-tunnel like arrangement??

I considered using automotive parts - radiator fans from high-power cars can push a LOT of air, and are typically 12V items too - but they need a LOT of current and are very expensive new.

I suppose I ought to stop being lazy and go to a scrapyard to pick up some cheap fans from wrecks where the entire car cost less than £100... I think they'd do a much better job than desk fans.

You can get 20" box fans at Lowes or Home Depot for like $15.  I've found they don't pull much current (on mid speed) and move more air than the rest.

It's all about the size of your fan blade imho so the 20" works really well.  Smaller fans may rev higher but have to work harder to blow the same amount of air.

TIP:  blow your exhaust air someplace outside, or at the very least to a part of your server room that doesn't mind being very warm AND where it won't spill into your fresh supply of cool air. 

Sheet metal (or aluminum if you can find it) and a nice pair of metal sheers work well for this.
Many thanks for your reply and advice. However... Lowes and Home Depot are American chains of stores... and my 'cost less than £100' comment indicates that I'm in the UK...

I've tried the big UK home-improvement chains like Homebase but they only sell desk fans and stand-up fans. They have a cool clip-on fan that I use in my office - I suppose I could buy a few of those and clip them to reinforced spars on the frame rig I'm building... but a big square box fan either side of the frame would create a full positive airstream effect...

Good tip on the air management too - my spare room (which I'm using for a bitcoin mining machine room - currently my girlfriend uses the room to hang out clothes to dry, so it's a double win with all the hot air from the miners!) is getting properly hot even with the window open. I've got some flexible aluminium ducting (10" diameter airflow stuff) so could easily build a duct for the hot exhaust air to pipe straight out of the house... thanks for that one! Smiley

...so I give in to the rhythm, the click click clack
I'm too wasted to fight back...

BTC: 1A7HvdGGDie3P5nDpiskG8JxXT33Yu6Gct
marvinmartian

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 02:43:13 PM

If you can't find 20" (or similar) box fans in a local store, I'm sure you can order them online someplace.  They're not the kinds of things you need to see up-close and personal (usually).

catfish

Activity: 270

teh giant catfesh

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 03:09:54 PM

If you can't find 20" (or similar) box fans in a local store, I'm sure you can order them online someplace.  They're not the kinds of things you need to see up-close and personal (usually).
It's be a neat and tidy solution, and size / cable length / power requirements were things I was interested in...

...however the open wooden frame thing I built last night seems perfectly capable of staying cool *without* forced air (other than the fans on the GPUs), so a single 7" clip-on cheapo desk fan seems more than adequate for the job.

I was thinking I'd need a monster high-flow fan on the back pushing air through, and another on the front pulling the air out (front being the ports of the GPUs) - sounds like I was thinking in full-on OVERKILL mode here!!!! Haha.

Though an arrangement like this WOULD assist with ducting the hot air out in a controlled fashion. With my open frame thing, the hot air goes everywhere (I assume)...

Thanks for the help Smiley

...so I give in to the rhythm, the click click clack
I'm too wasted to fight back...

BTC: 1A7HvdGGDie3P5nDpiskG8JxXT33Yu6Gct
forexmasterja

Activity: 130

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2011, 07:36:48 PM

Kitchen / Mining Cart Mod -

--** First Jamaican Bitcoin User **--
1JamaicaYQvsBkvm5JcurQBA9Kz969nsqe
Revolutionary Money Making Cloud Miner - https://cex.io/r/0/forexmasterja/0/