Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:53:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What % of your net worth is held in Bitcoin? (using the current Bitcoin price)
0% - 5 (5.6%)
1-2% - 10 (11.2%)
3-5% - 6 (6.7%)
6-10% - 8 (9%)
11-20% - 9 (10.1%)
21-40% - 3 (3.4%)
41-60% - 13 (14.6%)
61-90% - 12 (13.5%)
91-95% - 5 (5.6%)
96-100% - 8 (9%)
I don't want to reveal that info. - 10 (11.2%)
Total Voters: 89

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Better poll: What % of your net worth is held in Bitcoin?  (Read 2506 times)
go1111111 (OP)

Activity: 187
Merit: 162

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:01:20 AM

There's another poll asking people how many BTC they have in absolute terms. I think this is a more interesting question, because it shows how bullish people are about BTC. I'm hoping it will get more honest answers than the other poll for a couple reasons:

(1) Your answer doesn't automatically make you a target in the future, unless people have a good idea of your net worth. Someone might answer 100%, but they might only have 0.1 BTC and no other possessions. Or someone might answer 1-2% and have 20,000 BTC. No one can know unless they find out both your reply to this poll, and also know how rich you are in general. Note that there is no way for a poll author to find out who voted for which answer (try making your own poll and see for yourself).

(2) People can see the results without voting, and I also gave a voting option for people who don't want to answer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:02:17 AM

I should imagine there isn't many people with over 50%. I should imagine the majority will fall into the 20% area.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:14:22 AM

I guess 0%....
Considering I own a home and all of my RRSPs and other assets...

Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:18:08 AM

Polls of the future:

1) What is your net worth?
2) Do you go out often?
3) What kind of security do you have at home?
4) What social activities do you do most?
5) Where do you live?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 03:57:20 AM

Yeah, I kind of agree with the OP that this poll is less of an issue. At least for me it is. Also people might click bullish to manipulate others or they might click bearish cause they are paranoid, so I doubt anybody will get robbed at gun point just for saying a high percentage. If you are known to have a high net worth and people might rob you at gun point, you will have to take security measures anyway.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Wary

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:10:41 AM

I think this is a more interesting question, because it shows how bullish people are about BTC.
To find out how bullish people are, it may be better to ask % of (net worth minus house). Even very bullish people won't mortgage/sell their houses to invest to BTC. Without this correction the poll will show not bullishness, but % people that have not have houses yet.

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:17:43 AM

Even very bullish people won't mortgage/sell their houses to invest to BTC.
Extremely bullish people might not buy a house even if they can afford it, because they understand the importance of international mobility.

Also they might understand enough about economics to realize that house prices are still at unsustainably high levels, and understand enough about finance to realize that houses are durable consumer goods, not assets.
go1111111 (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:28:42 AM

To find out how bullish people are, it may be better to ask % of (net worth minus house). Even very bullish people won't mortgage/sell their houses to invest to BTC. Without this correction the poll will show not bullishness, but % people that have not have houses yet.

I agree it would also be interesting to see the data excluding home equity too. Still, because only the difference between the value of the house and what you owe on it contributes to your net worth, people with houses could still have a very high % of their net worth in Bitcoin.

If I owned a large amount of equity in a home, and I had no BTC and no liquid assets, I think I actually would take out a loan against my house to buy some.
p2pbucks

Activity: 642

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:44:17 AM

Follow KISS rules:Average age - your age = net worth in BTC
ar9

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:48:03 AM

3-5%. 

I think I'm comfortable at that number too.
Wary

Activity: 798

Who's there?

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:04:21 AM

Extremely bullish people might not buy a house even if they can afford it, because they understand the importance of international mobility.
Most of house owners bought them years/decades ago, long before BTC age.

If I owned a large amount of equity in a home, and I had no BTC and no liquid assets, I think I actually would take out a loan against my house to buy some.
Usually home belongs to family. So the poll shows "how bullish your wife is". Smiley

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
waltermot321

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 07:54:13 AM

Something is wrong with your poll, I have 5.5% so which one should I choose 3-5% or 6-10%?

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 08:04:28 AM

Even very bullish people won't mortgage/sell their houses to invest to BTC.

Also they might understand enough about economics to realize that house prices are still at unsustainably high levels, and understand enough about finance to realize that houses are durable consumer goods, not assets.

+2. Both points are spot on. I was bullish enough with silver and bearish on RE so that I never bought a house during that era. Also mobility is important. Kristoffer Koch is a good example - buying BTC5000 at essentially nothing, and then selling 20% of it to buy an apartment.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 09:20:28 AM

Only a tiny amount but I'm moving to go 50% Bitcoin and 50% Gold/Silver, I just need more money Cheesy
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:33:44 AM

Yeah, I kind of agree with the OP that this poll is less of an issue. At least for me it is. Also people might click bullish to manipulate others or they might click bearish cause they are paranoid, so I doubt anybody will get robbed at gun point just for saying a high percentage. If you are known to have a high net worth and people might rob you at gun point, you will have to take security measures anyway.

I am among the most vocal bitcoin millionaires here, and have only five times in my life had issues with security. One was a confirmed government operation (they came into my house with ID's and took away everything). Then there was a minor incident where hotel staff stole goods with low value, although bitcoins were present, and three times of breaking into my office, since everyone knows it is full of gold, silver and bitcoins. But there are also night-vision cameras, alarms etc. Nothing dangerous.

This gunpoint thing is so outdated in most of the world. Fantasy. The only entity that has ever approached me with guns is the govt, and there is not much you can do about it. If anyone thinks it is smart to try to rob bitcoin people, why is that they do not buy bitcoins themselves? The rate of appreciation has been on average 1140% per year.

Crime is hard work. I have by and large quit my honest job because of bitcoin appreciation already. I suggest criminals do the same.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
go1111111 (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:41:11 AM

Something is wrong with your poll, I have 5.5% so which one should I choose 3-5% or 6-10%?

Round to the nearest integer, or up if .5 Smiley

wearepoor

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:42:29 AM

I have about 10% of my savings in BTC. This is the amount I dont mind to loose if all go wrong Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: