Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:28:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Help with Father-in-Law....  (Read 573 times)
Torkein (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:25:32 AM

I'm relatively new to bitcoins in general.  About a month ago I started getting into them.  My father-in-law who works for a computer company found out last week that I was getting a miner and has now convinced my wife that this is a scam and that I'll be helping to destroy encryption.  Granted he didn't know about bitcoins before last week.  I tried my best to explain to him that he's incorrect but with very little luck.

Any ideas, or articles or sites that I can show him to make him realize that he's incorrect in this area and make my home life much better than it is currently?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:29:21 AM

Easy, grow a pair of balls and say who are you to tell me what I can and can't do... granted you prob got ripped off with buying a mienr tho  Roll Eyes
CryptoCrazy

Activity: 21

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:45:03 AM

there is no convincing a guy like that. I find people like that have to prove it to themselves. Let him try to break the bitcoin code, lol ...good luck with that!

My suggestion is keep feeding him mainstream articles about bitcoin good or bad, he will come to his own conclusions.

Besides, did you marry him or his daughter! remember that! When you have these discussions, your wife needs to have your back in the discussion, make sure he understands that all choices are made by the two of you and not just you. 2 against 1 is better odds.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:45:49 AM

Just ask him to do a Google, he will know how many big names have invested in Bitcoins!
CryptoNames

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 03:48:17 AM

there is no convincing a guy like that. I find people like that have to prove it to themselves. Let him try to break the bitcoin code, lol ...good luck with that!

My suggestion is keep feeding him mainstream articles about bitcoin good or bad, he will come to his own conclusions.

Besides, did you marry him or his daughter! remember that! When you have these discussions, your wife needs to have your back in the discussion, make sure he understands that all choices are made by the two of you and not just you. 2 against 1 is better odds.

+1

CounterStrike

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:56:01 AM

I'm relatively new to bitcoins in general.  About a month ago I started getting into them.  My father-in-law who works for a computer company found out last week that I was getting a miner and has now convinced my wife that this is a scam and that I'll be helping to destroy encryption.  Granted he didn't know about bitcoins before last week.  I tried my best to explain to him that he's incorrect but with very little luck.

Any ideas, or articles or sites that I can show him to make him realize that he's incorrect in this area and make my home life much better than it is currently?

Lolz, thats the worst thing that can happen. But since you said your father-in-law is working for a computer company, he should be able to understand Bitcoin right? How would he think its a scam?
ltiv

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:06:38 AM

Technically he's right on the encryption part, just explain to him you're solving blocks to get bitcoins which can then be converted to fiat. Explain what bitcoin is, how it works - then show him a list of exchanges (BTC-E) for example, of course after that show him a real exchange market and than explain to him that this is just another fiat/stock exchange that's up and coming and you just want to get in as quick as you can so you can milk them cows.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:15:52 AM

Technically he's right on the encryption part,

What?  That doesn't make any sense.  Please explain.

My father-in-law who works for a computer company found out last week that I was getting a miner and has now convinced my wife that this is a scam and that I'll be helping to destroy encryption.

Either your wife accepts your knowledge after extensive research about what you are doing, or she accepts her father's opinions after no research at all.

If she chooses to accept her father's uneducated opinion over your educated facts, then you need to figure out how to communicate with your wife in a way that will lead to a harmonious marriage.  Only you know her personality well enough to do that.

Your father-in-law clearly has no interest in understanding anything about bitcoin or he'd be asking questions instead of making uneducated declarations.  As such, showing him articles or sites isn't going to accomplish anything.  His mind is made up, and any site or article you show him will likely be dismissed as "propaganda".
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 3015

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 04:23:02 AM

I'd say no.   Undecided

When people are convinced about something, they generally will ignore everything that doesn't conform to their beliefs. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
hayek

Activity: 370

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:31:05 AM

Easy, grow a pair of balls and say who are you to tell me what I can and can't do... granted you prob got ripped off with buying a mienr tho  Roll Eyes

Basically this. Having a spine and being disrespectful do not have to go hand in hand.
johncarpe64

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:52:30 AM

Really, just show much money you made from this (just don't tell him how much you spend on the machine) and you are safe.....
Leezil

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:11:22 AM

When you have these discussions, your wife needs to have your back in the discussion, make sure he understands that all choices are made by the two of you and not just you. 2 against 1 is better odds.

His wife can have whatever opinion she wants, there's no reason to expect she agree just because she's married, unless I'm misunderstanding you?

OP, it just comes down to how much you care about his opinion and how reasonable you think he is. You have more experience dealing with him than anyone here...I assume! Maybe try pointing him to some computer geek forums, maybe he'll be more open to talking about it with people who can speak in his own technical language?
Shallow

Activity: 938
Merit: 255

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:22:52 AM

Who cares? He is an idiot.

████
██
██
██
██