Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:56:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First build lots of questions plz answer what you can  (Read 1005 times)
firsttimebuilder (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:35:55 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2013, 09:47:28 PM by firsttimebuilder

I wrote this like this so you can understand my situation better.That's why it is a bit long.But if you don't want to understand all just go to the questionsPlz do understand and help Me out.
What I've done already is
Spend whole month asking questions on forums and mostly no answers so I'm getting pissed off cuz I'm meant to mine since a long time ago
Look for each card's top hash rate on hardware comp sites and look for the cheapest deal for that card in eight yes eight!!! shop search engines.This took me very long.After that I even started to do the same thing in different countries to find an even better deal.But I think by the time I'd do all the countries the prices would change so much that I'd have to start again so I stopped.I obviously didn't find a shop search engine which looks in all countries and each search engine has different results even in the same country (that is why I used eight)So is there a better way to find the best deal?

Even though the card searching was so tedious the motherboards are almost impossible?I'm stuck on' em because I have lots of questions and until I have answers I'll get nowhere like the entire month or I can buy "blindfolded"

Blindfolded cuz when searching for gpus at least there was a list of khash/s but there is no list of multi gpu mobos and the best I've found is sites with filters which show selected amount of pci-e slots but they are very lacking in results.I can compare what I've got which is what I'm now trying to do but

Obviously only the gpus are important but I want to OC em so
1)what components (like cpu system ram etc)can have an effect on gpu ocing?
because I've heard that A cpu and system ram can Bottleneck the gpu at least in games.What in mining programs?
also in section 4.2 cpu in here it says <have a look> Is he right and why? http://ewoah.com/technology/a-very-good-guide-to-building-a-bitcoin-mining-rig-cluster-guide/
I want to buy the cheapest mobo which has the most pci-e slots
2)Is there something I should beware of?
should I use a board like this?It doesn't have anymore update support and well...hav a look if u want http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=CPU&Model=H61DEL

There are currently only a few questions but there will be more as I get closer to buying the parts.Plz note I'll mine only scryptcoins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Coalbytes

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:41:18 PM

Please tell me this is for mining alt-coins.
firsttimebuilder (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:48:16 PM

I wrote I will mine only scrypt coins on the bottom
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:55:45 PM

You aren't using graphics cards like a gaming device when mining, so other components that generally bottleneck won't do so when mining (except for RAM, when on scrypt coins. I suggest at least 4gb, but as cheap as it is anymore go for more. RAM doesn't mean anything on BTC mining)

You have to be careful running boards like the one you linked with lots of graphics cards. They aren't designed for the power load of lots of GPUs, so you will burn the board up. You can fix this by using powered riser cables. Motherboards designed for quad crossfire generally have an external power plug for the extra PCI-e bus supply needed.

You sound like you are ready to make one heck of an investment. Are you sure you've done enough research yet?

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
geraFoerra

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 10:00:29 PM

For Scrypt mining, slow DDR2 RAM is really huge bottleneck

GPU can be 2x -3x slower than you would expect with normal (fast) RAM
firsttimebuilder (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 10:26:14 PM

Will a cheap board like that still burn when I use the powered riser cables like you are saying and I will not use a case?
System Ram is mostly 4gb on bitcoin mining rigs list here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_rig but some are 8 why?
Also does system ram speed matter too?
pontiacg5

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 10:37:07 PM

Will a cheap board like that still burn when I use the powered riser cables like you are saying and I will not use a case?
System Ram is mostly 4gb on bitcoin mining rigs list here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_rig but some are 8 why?
Also does system ram speed matter too?

No, you won't burn the board out if you use powered riser cables. Be sure you don't short the back of the motherboard running caseless.

Because ram is cheap, and because most forsaw mining scrypt after BTC went bust for GPUs (like me.) You need RAM for scrypt mining.

Ram speed doesn't really matter. I'd match it to your CPU's rated spec, unless faster ram is cheaper for some weird reason.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
firsttimebuilder (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:18:12 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2013, 04:35:31 PM by firsttimebuilder

1)what do you mean short?
2)should i get ecc ram buffered
3)cpu rated spec?
4)so the hash rate will be the same on a cheap mobo
5)will oc be worse on this mobo?
6)is this bad that the pcie slots are x1 and 2.0 and
how do I use the power risers so niothing will eventually
burn or harm something?
pontiacg5

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:38:49 PM

1)what do you mean short?
Short, as in connect two electrical curcuits that shouldn't be connected. If you set a motherboard flat on a metal surface it will short when running.
2)should i get ecc ram buffered
No, not needed.
3)cpu rated spec?
Doesn't matter.
4)so the hash rate will be the same on a cheap mobo
Yes.
5)will oc be worse on this mobo?
No. Again. Not if you are only mining.
6)is this bad that the pcie slots are x1 and 2.0 and
how do I use the power risers so niothing will eventually
burn or harm something?
PCIe lanes come in certain lane widths. Mining operations will never oversaturate a 1x PCIe link. In other words, no, pcie 1x slots are fine. PCIe 2.0 is fine as well, 3.0 is not necessary.
A powered riser is a powered riser. Those will keep your board from burning up. If you use non-powered risers you will burn your board up. This subject has been covered many many times. If you need more, search.

firsttimebuilder (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 06:07:11 PM

You are soo helpful Cheesy
So I'll just look for the parts now
I've been reading aboutthe powered risers and I'm confused about how to use them right but I think I'll read about that while waiting for shipment.
If only I had answers when I started...
but I wont close the thread for now.
firsttimebuilder (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:39:41 PM

I want to believe you but he dsays not to.He says that EVERY gpu intensive task benefits from faster pci-e lanes http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1868083/decide-rig-discounts-buy-parts-discounted-plz.html
So why is he wrong?I'm very confused atm
pontiacg5

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:51:30 PM

This guy is a fool. All the work is done on the graphics card. The only thing moving between the graphics card and the CPU is the resulting hashes and the info needed to hash. That info is extremely small and would never ever come close to saturating the ~5gb/s (I think) available to a 16x 2.0 lane.

You don't have to believe me, or the thousands of pictures of scrypt rigs running 1x riser cards though.

Most everyone on tomshardware is a fool  Wink

firsttimebuilder (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:44:58 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2013, 05:55:04 PM by firsttimebuilder

I've chosen the mobo http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Specifications&Model=H61DEL how many Watt does this need?
graphics cards 7950 what Watt is it???
cpu g1620 55W
Ram ?Watts
two things left
Power supply
RAM

Do I need multiple PSUs because of the power risers?Or can I just get one 2kW?
I need to know how much power the above consume.Also I heard that the Power supply needs to be someWatts extra than the parts indicate to be safe.How much then do I need?

How much RAM should I buy?Also I found RAM that is about 8times cheaper but it is ECC and it says not for
PCs and very low profile and used should I buy them?
Also will there be any problems with seeing 6 graphics cards when I eventually get all of them?
I also dont know about all the raising  stuff yet.

If I know these soon enough I should order tomorrow or even maybe today.
pontiacg5

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:51:57 PM

Sizing a power supply is a really really easy task.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=computer+power+supply+size+calculator

Mining with riser cards, and setting up 5+ cards.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mining+with+riser+cards

I've answered the ram question several times already...

firsttimebuilder (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 06:35:18 PM

sorry for same questions and thank you for your help.I remembered you wrote to get at least 4gb of RAM.But I'm not sure if it is the best thing to do buy that RAM I'm asking about

thanks for your help.
firsttimebuilder (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:28:11 PM
Last edit: November 07, 2013, 04:05:41 PM by firsttimebuilder

What if I use more than 10 psus to minimize price???
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: