Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:18:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU venting idea (YES OR NO? )  (Read 258 times)
Joe43s (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:04:27 PM

Hi guys i have been doing some research and this is my best idea at the moment to vent from my garage.

https://imgur.com/a/VzTit

Do you approve? yes, no ? any suggestions...

PS. intake will be from lower garage door vents I will install on the garage door. I live in Florida so it is very hot outside and in my attic, mostly all year long. Thanks a lot!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 12:21:45 AM

Hi guys i have been doing some research and this is my best idea at the moment to vent from my garage.

https://imgur.com/a/VzTit

Do you approve? yes, no ? any suggestions...

PS. intake will be from lower garage door vents I will install on the garage door. I live in Florida so it is very hot outside and in my attic, mostly all year long. Thanks a lot!

You just need to do the calculation of intake temperature, temperature of the miners, surface area (heatsinks) and airflow rate to see if you will be cycling enough air to keep them below a target temperature.

Max Likelihood

Activity: 140
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:46:36 AM

Seems reasonable. If you live in an area with cold winters might be a way to duct into living space, have panel inserts in the ducts that divert to exhaust outside in the summer, into living space in the winter.
Suslived

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 02:50:51 AM

Why would you want to go through all the trouble of building this?

GPU rigs are fine with open air. I mine in a tropical country where ambient temp is higher than average. I have a small 39-GPU rig farm and run them at around 65 degrees using simple fucking fans. None of my GPUs have died. Been mining for a year now. ROI is real.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 04:44:27 AM

Your idea is quite good, but I think 20' fan if it's medium-high speed fan, the hot air will come and accumulate in top very fast rather than flow out though your two vents. The possible solution is you bound it like this which is quite simple and effective. Also I wonder how's about intake air? Your rigs are open air or closed box? I would like to send an example of vent design which was already discussed in forum:

Joe43s (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 04:45:41 AM

Thanks for the response...

GPU rigs are fine with open air. I mine in a tropical country where ambient temp is higher than average. I have a small 39-GPU rig farm and run them at around 65 degrees using simple fucking fans. None of my GPUs have died. Been mining for a year now. ROI is real.
[/i]

For once I am in a closed garage, so using fans will no exhaust the heat, at all.

Using fans in a closed spaced is mimicking an oven, that is why i need to vent to the outside.

senseless

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 11:08:17 AM

[/i]

For once I am in a closed garage, so using fans will no exhaust the heat, at all.

Using fans in a closed spaced is mimicking an oven, that is why i need to vent to the outside.

If you'd take the time to run the numbers you'd probably see that a 500-1000cfm grow room fan with some 4 or 6" duct work would do you just fine.

Joe43s (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 03:06:07 PM

[/i]

If you'd take the time to run the numbers you'd probably see that a 500-1000cfm grow room fan with some 4 or 6" duct work would do you just fine.

great idea, just a concern, what if the grow fan fails, any tips to avoid damage to the cards

dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 03:08:16 PM

How do you vent outside?
ReadyPlayer1

Activity: 38
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 03:48:42 PM

How do you vent outside?

You won't be venting enough heat out of your attic. You'll need at least 6,000 cfms coming out of your attic and (2) 6 inch vents won't cut it.
senseless

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 04:23:35 PM

[/i]

great idea, just a concern, what if the grow fan fails, any tips to avoid damage to the cards

Temperature sensor connected to a rpi with a relay switch connected to another in-line fan? There are a lot of possible solutions. But you're trying to find a solution for unknown variables. You need to run the thermal transfer calculations.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: