Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:02:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm glad my BTC are in cold storage or i'd be getting twitchy  (Read 2897 times)
davidgdg (OP)

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:21:16 PM

It's at times like this that my principles of Buy And Hold get seriously tested.  Thanks goodness for cold storage. It makes it too much hassle to sell....

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
billington.mark

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 01:24:20 PM

It's at times like this that my principles of Buy And Hold get seriously tested.  Thanks goodness for cold storage. It makes it too much hassle to sell....

If only i did that back when BTC was at $30 a couple of years ago... id be a millionaire now at these prices! hindsight eh...

BTC - 1MarkBCmVn3yp1SB9RZZ7VfqJzkpV8Hmdo
BitMessage - BM-GtZkeAbmKGs77FEoigm9TmsQBSfvMB3N
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:29:02 PM

If only i did that back when BTC was at $30 a couple of years ago... id be a millionaire now at these prices! hindsight eh...

Good thing bitcoin always gives people a second chance, don't screw it up again this time... Wink

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Shermo

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:37:41 PM

I sold about 60% of my BTC last week when it started to dip as I wanted to recover my initial investment so what remained was pure profit.

Now the price is a lot higher and I really wished I'd held longer, but still I am sat on roughly 25BTC and that is all profit so I am relatively happy still Smiley I do kinda wish I hadn't sold so many last year though, but thats life eh?
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:41:39 PM

I have the opposite feeling. I feel very good when I see the price rising every time but when it starts dropping I just laugh it off and think: ah next time then. I never have the inclination to sell all my coins. I feel like Sméagol.

Sell my precious? NO! NEVER! Gollem! Wink
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 02:26:36 PM

But in cold storage you cannot take a margin position.
davidgdg (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 02:31:45 PM

I've tried margin trading in the past. The nausea it induces when the market moves against you makes the worst hangover seem like nothing.  Never again.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
Missionary

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 02:33:10 PM

Yeah. 95% of my Bitcoins are "dead" to me. It's the only mindset I can have if I don't want to go mad and broke in the process.

I am an evangelical missionary heading to China. Donations are welcome here (dedicated wallet): 1H8iswayfTaRb6oe2WjMCRmchBJHYyfx9z
You can find more information about my plans here: http://btcmission.com
simplydt

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 03:21:41 PM

I've tried margin trading in the past. The nausea it induces when the market moves against you makes the worst hangover seem like nothing.  Never again.

hahaha very nice way to describe it Smiley Its indeed how it is.
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 03:51:11 PM

But sometimes you are 100% confident in an up move. For example 140 after silk road, and 205 now, I was 90% confident in a massive breakout. I went all in both times but chickened out of margin. Now I know that I'm only making X per tick when I could be making 3X per tick, and I'm pissing away 2x for no reason. I feel like Im cheating myself out of getting rich and I'm this lonely bear that didn't even buy in the first place.
davidgdg (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:43:28 PM

But sometimes you are 100% confident in an up move. For example 140 after silk road, and 205 now, I was 90% confident in a massive breakout. I went all in both times but chickened out of margin. Now I know that I'm only making X per tick when I could be making 3X per tick, and I'm pissing away 2x for no reason. I feel like Im cheating myself out of getting rich and I'm this lonely bear that didn't even buy in the first place.

Maybe, but you still made the right decision, unless you have b*lls of steel and pockets a mile deep. And if you have those, then why bother with margin in the first place?

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:44:51 PM

If you have an edge, you will get wealthy quickly enough. I don't like margin.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:47:10 PM

We all know Warren Buffen and Charlie Munger. Do you know their third partner? Me neither, he traded on margin and git liquidated in the 80s having to sell BRK-A shares for about $20.

Buffet said his mistake wasn't wanting to become rich but wanting to become rich fast.
amadeo

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:49:10 PM

I wish I had done the same and thought that the bitcoins I bought at $86 in the SR 'brief crash' were dead to me. But I didn't, I guess this is how you get experience.
thetopham

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:52:26 PM

I wish I had done the same and thought that the bitcoins I bought at $86 in the SR 'brief crash' were dead to me. But I didn't, I guess this is how you get experience.

yeah I bought at 200 then held while it crashed to 170, then sold at 205 right before it skyrocketed up to 250 now

FML HINDSIGHT WHYYYYY DID I TRY TO BUY LOW SELL HIGH WHYYYY
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:55:28 PM

yeah I bought at 200 then held while it crashed to 170, then sold at 205 right before it skyrocketed up to 250 now

Buy low, don't sell Smiley
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Always gets me too.

CAPTAIN HINDSIGHT TO THE RESCUE
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:22:47 PM

We all know Warren Buffen and Charlie Munger. Do you know their third partner? Me neither, he traded on margin and git liquidated in the 80s having to sell BRK-A shares for about $20.

Buffet said his mistake wasn't wanting to become rich but wanting to become rich fast.

Actually I *do* remember reading about the third guy. Forgot his name though Cheesy Buffet also acknowledged that the guy was a brilliant trader and made huge profits at times, just not consistent enough. I should look up the article I read about this...

Guess my point is, margin trading can work in a few special situations (like the aforementioned recovery after the SR flash crash), but it's probably not a good idea to let it become a habit.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:32:07 PM

Greed will do you many bad things.

more or less retired.
nanobtc

Activity: 600
Merit: 610

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 05:35:37 PM

One of the best traders was Jesse Lauriston Livermore. He made and lost millions in the 1930's. He committed suicide in 1940.
edit:
I am not an experienced trader, but I very much enjoyed the book about his life. It taught me much of the fundamentals.

A good quote: "A stock operator has to fight a lot expensive enemies within himself."

Lennon: "free as a bird"
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: