Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:20:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A new rule is needed for bounty managers. Please share your opinions.  (Read 465 times)
Cobalt9317
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 278

Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 12:49:20 AM

I've been exposed to much alternatively this sort of email addy exposure is too much if an individual care for oneself privacy.
Nevertheless knocking the doors of those campaign managers would not create a solution they just don't care especially if those persons are the wannabe managers I've been seeing lately.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
donmiguello

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 01:03:46 AM

You didn't understand my point.
The topic is all about bounty managers here. They are exposing our email ids through this forum, not the ICOs. Please read my reply above for Hilarious.
I'm not talking anything outside the forum, an ICO company may be selling our contact info after the end of ICO and we can't do anything if they are really doing this.
Can you list down a few examples of that happening actively ? Please link me to a bounty program where a bounty manager is asking for email id's on the forum and not (outside forum such as google spreadsheets)

Again you misunderstood me.
"Outside the forum" I was referring to the ICO companies who may sell the email database at the end of ICO... It is possible, I don't know if you will agree with me or not.

And regarding the bounty managers are exposing our email ids through this forum, they use google spreadsheets for the participants to register and you know it very well.

The List of bounty campaigns exposed email ids:
Aeternum in all sheets
Fiancia in social media sheets
On.Live in youtube sheet
FroshFeel in signature bounty
Baappay in all sheets

This is a small list, and are publicly accessible. There is so many of this kind which I've ignored so far. And you may say me lazy because I'm not going to search those again.

I haven't kept any record for the list as a proof and campaign managers can change/hide in future.
Because my intention is not to argue or fight with anyone here, the reason for creating this topic to create awareness of this issue so that in future bounty managers do keep the email ids private.

Although I wouldn't like being treated this way by any campaign manager, I don't think this is a Meta-problem: people volunteer to hand over data in exchange for a bounty, just like they publish their Twitter and Facebook accounts.
I have no doubt most of them use fake accounts anyway, only created to hunt bounties.
I thought meta could be the best board to discuss this issue as I can't think of an appropriate board for the issue to be discussed. Let me know I'll move accordingly.

I would like to know which managers decided not to hide the email addresses...
I've pmed 2 or 3 managers maybe to hide the email id column.
One of them (EquityBase) responded and hidden accordingly and the FianciaCoin did not respond and neither hidden the email id column.
After that I didn't contact anyone for this issue. But I'm thinking to drop a msg in future to every one of them who falls in this issue to hide the column.

All those managers are not new , they should know that.
akamit (OP)

Activity: 1484
Merit: 595

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 08:18:01 PM

I generally use a spam email address for whenever I have to share one.
But it is a good idea to try to hide these from attacks such as phishing emails.
Some peoples use their main id and some use their secondary id for bounty. So those who use the main id are at risk.
If the email ids get into the wrong hands then it may get into the market for sale, can be used for hacking attempts of bitcointalk accounts, for spam, track down of social accounts, and lastly your input of phishing attempts.

Can we get this added to the OP by any chance or maybe get a new thread with a list of managers who do publicly share users' email addresses?
I have started to contact bounty managers to keep the personal info private, so if anyone disagrees to do so then I'll create a new thread as per you have suggested.

Give a negative/neutral trust rating to the manager who did not respond to you as that might get them to respond to what you wrote and give you the reason why they didn't want to hide the IDs. It might just be that they missed the PM if they have had many of them.

EquityBase who you said did respond and hid them has shown their credibility as a manager here and it's good to see one of the managers have responded.

2/3 managers as you suggest is quite a low set of users that you have tested though (it's a good start).
It was the beginning what I was trying to do, so from now on I will try to contact more of them and those who will disagree will get negative trust rating until they fix the issue.
And I will also update the names of those managers who disagreed for the community acknowledgment either through this thread or the new one.

How can they be so ignorant? I think we should just invade their threads, and point out that this is happening.
Some of them maybe didn't realize the outcome the way we realized. And some of them may be left personal info visible due to workload.

A bit off-topic - I received some ICO advertisements, message about selling bitcointalk email database to email address which never was used for crypto related registrations, I have no idea where did it come from.
You received those emails because your email has been sold out to email marketers, most probably.
Go to the marketplace where you will see some sellers are selling bitcointalk database, if that's the genuine one then your and all of our ids are there.
Now imagine how many times it has been sold out all over the internet. Not only bitcointalk database has been selling out there, but also I've seen coinbase, ICO, etc databases are in the market.

Nevertheless knocking the doors of those campaign managers would not create a solution they just don't care especially if those persons are the wannabe managers I've been seeing lately.
Not all will respond positively but I believe the majority will agree with the issue and will support.

I have contacted Wapinter (Baappay Bounty Manager) and he responded promptly and hidden the email id column. I was expecting something like this from Wapinter.

Another thing I was thinking lately that the wallet addy's (BTC or ETH) are also visible publicly through the sheet. So how appropriate is this and isn't it should also be kept private?
Because someone can easily check someone's balance and can target anyone for a hack attempt? And above all where is the privacy? Please share your opinions in this matter.

In my journey of bounty hunting, I've found aTriz's bounty campaigns are most easy to understand, easy to execute the tasks and takes minimum time. And another thing is, the thread design is very clean.

I also found a bounty campaign (Robotina), where the manager kept everything private from the public. The manager is doing everything at the background.
The manager only shared a spreadsheet publicly for their participants to track the earnings. I really liked the idea of this manager and till now I haven't found anything like this.

The thing I want to say, isn't it a better way? But I know it will not happen, no one will do the same way.
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10757

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2018, 12:31:08 PM

At least in Europe most of the bounty spreadsheets and even quite a few of the bounty proof of join threads are clearly illegal, since they breach personal user information that becomes visible to anybody such as the email and often name and surname.

Regardless of whether you provide your real data or a dataset for the bounty, which is not your primal true contact information, all nominal data should be hidden from a general public view, and not become visible in a public list to all.

As per definition, Personal Data is any information that relates to an identifiable individual.
Examples are:
•   a name and surname
•   an email address name.surname@domail.com
•   a home address
•   location data (geolocalization);
•   IP address
•   Etc.

The first two are clearly found on bounty spreadsheets and should not be visible to everyone.
sncc

Activity: 536
Merit: 513

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 01:24:38 PM

Presumably most of the bounty participants are not using their main email accounts but I do agree with the OP as I do not see a necessity to expose the list of email addresses for public.  Even if they want to use the email addresses to update new information etc for bounty participants, of course they can keep the email addresses in their database, rather than expose them for general public.

The List of bounty campaigns exposed email ids:
Aeternum in all sheets
Fiancia in social media sheets
On.Live in youtube sheet
FroshFeel in signature bounty
Baappay in all sheets

Maybe we should list up such bounty campaigns like above and let moderators notice the situation and consider a new rule.
The_Masterer

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 02:38:42 PM

There seriously needs to be some bounty system made, some soft to get all this in order. This whole google spreadsheet ordeal is messy as hell and needs to be adressed. Hopefully someone will take initiative soon. Even if that means that a lot of bounty managers will lose their jobs  Grin
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 02:47:14 PM

At least in Europe most of the bounty spreadsheets and even quite a few of the bounty proof of join threads are clearly illegal, since they breach personal user information that becomes visible to anybody such as the email and often name and surname.

You can only get a prosecution if the campaign manager is in the EU/EEA (of which quite a lot probably aren't).

There were reports on google getting fined under similar grounds however I think it was the EU part of the company (I know a lot of their data is stored in the UK as well as the US).

I generally use a spam email address for whenever I have to share one.
But it is a good idea to try to hide these from attacks such as phishing emails.
Some peoples use their main id and some use their secondary id for bounty. So those who use the main id are at risk.
If the email ids get into the wrong hands then it may get into the market for sale, can be used for hacking attempts of bitcointalk accounts, for spam, track down of social accounts, and lastly your input of phishing attempts.
I think hacking of exchange accounts is also quite an issue here (especially if people don't have 2FA). If your email account gets its password changed and there is no number linked, then you have lost your account.
If there is a phone number linked, then I'd argue that could get even more annoying for people. There are already data breaches from sites that I have noticed that have sold numbers to companies that claim to be a banking company and try to get you to go to their site (their site has nothing on it, I assume it just harvests all it can from your phone - though haven't actually clicked it on the phone itself).

Can we get this added to the OP by any chance or maybe get a new thread with a list of managers who do publicly share users' email addresses?
I have started to contact bounty managers to keep the personal info private, so if anyone disagrees to do so then I'll create a new thread as per you have suggested.

Give a negative/neutral trust rating to the manager who did not respond to you as that might get them to respond to what you wrote and give you the reason why they didn't want to hide the IDs. It might just be that they missed the PM if they have had many of them.

EquityBase who you said did respond and hid them has shown their credibility as a manager here and it's good to see one of the managers have responded.

2/3 managers as you suggest is quite a low set of users that you have tested though (it's a good start).
It was the beginning what I was trying to do, so from now on I will try to contact more of them and those who will disagree will get negative trust rating until they fix the issue.
And I will also update the names of those managers who disagreed for the community acknowledgment either through this thread or the new one.

It's a good start and you have already managed to get one manager to change their mind and hide the email addresses of their users.
Since they're not directly making any money out of keeping their email addresses public, I see no reason why the others wouldn't collaborate in the same way. If they do particularly need to show email addresses for some reason (which I'd doubt) then they should also state their reasons to you/the community for validation - though I doubt there is a reasonable reason why they'd not make that information private.
malikusama
Copper Member

Activity: 1050
Merit: 294

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 10:05:12 PM

Indeed it increases the risk of being hacked, i also oppose the bounty managers for doing this. They should need to hide the details of participants so no one can trace the ids.
Can you tell which campaign is doing this ? I have not seen any signature campaign doing this so far from different campaign mangers in signature campaigns which are paying in bitcoins. It sounds really surpassing because there is actually no need of email for payment.
Mostly the bounty managers who are using different bounty portals ask for the signup on portal by using email, and those emails are then added in the spreadsheet as user id to reward the user accordingly.
akamit (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 10:22:28 PM

Mostly the bounty managers who are using different bounty portals ask for the signup on portal by using email, and those emails are then added in the spreadsheet as user id to reward the user accordingly.
"Sign up on portal" are you referring to google forms or bounty platforms like bountyhive?
If its google forms then we are on the same topic but if it is bounty platforms then its probably indicating another issue. Please confirm?
boy130

Activity: 616
Merit: 263

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 10:31:05 PM

Simple rule, invade any thread that clearly displays sensitive participant details such as name, phone number, email etc. And state that you will not support a campaign that treats its members personal information with such carelessness, give the bounty managers an opportunity to improve, if not, give them negs until they learn their lesson.
wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1708

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2018, 01:51:59 AM

I know everybody knows that but I will repeat one more time: Never use your main email address to sign for a bounty campaign or any other promotion. Just create a new one for such an occasion.

tbct_mt2

Activity: 2310
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2018, 03:21:37 AM

I know everybody knows that but I will repeat one more time: Never use your main email address to sign for a bounty campaign or any other promotion. Just create a new one for such an occasion.
That's right! Main emails should be use for important things and should not use for registering in bitcointalk, airdrops, bounties, signature campaigns and on others websites like Steemit, Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Users should secure their personal identity by themselves.
In addition, never display email on bitcointalk profile to avoid abusements from bounty cheaters.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 03:35:05 AM

Now you have a good excuse to change your email address.

🖤😏
malikusama
Copper Member

Activity: 1050
Merit: 294

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 12:39:16 PM

"Sign up on portal" are you referring to google forms or bounty platforms like bountyhive?
If its google forms then we are on the same topic but if it is bounty platforms then its probably indicating another issue. Please confirm?

I am referring to both(i.e google forms and bounty portals like bountyhive), they are exposing the email ids (that are being used in bounty portals) in spreadsheets  and also if we fill in the google forms for our applications or reports.
sitnikov

Activity: 98
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 01:39:31 PM

Posting primary email in public really can cause a huge number of problems in future:

1) Promotional mails: You will start getting a lot of promotional emails based on where you shared your email. There are scrapers for this which keep collecting recently shared emails , all emails are compiled in files and these are sold online. If your email makes to that file, get ready to be bombarded with unwanted promotional emails.

2) Hacking attempts: Another possible situation is that people will try to hack your email and then use it for suspicious activities. Emails are being shared here with other personal details which are often used as passwords.

⚫  ContractNet.com  ⚫
At the intersection of Blockchain, IOT & SMART CONTRACTS
████████████ [ JOIN ICO ● 10th MARCH ] ████████████
akamit (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 11:50:33 AM

This is how spam emails are sent on daily basis.

Be cautious, use secondary email id, or ignore bounties where email id has been asked, or ask the manager to hide the email id column.

It's not enough, but it will help a little bit I think Roll Eyes

Report every sales thread of email databases in digital goods and services.  Cool
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: