Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:30:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins stolen  (Read 619 times)
nichtsoklug (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:12:25 PM

Hi everyone,

I just had a few btc stolen from my account on MtGox. I assume it's not possible to get them back .. but what does that hack mean for the rest of my computer? Should I be worried about accessing other sites, mail, facebook, Online banking (!) ??

Is there a virus on my computer? I'm using a mac, so if yes what should I best do against it?

thanks in advance everyone
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nast

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:51:42 PM

Hi everyone,

I just had a few btc stolen from my account on MtGox. I assume it's not possible to get them back .. but what does that hack mean for the rest of my computer? Should I be worried about accessing other sites, mail, facebook, Online banking (!) ??

Is there a virus on my computer? I'm using a mac, so if yes what should I best do against it?

thanks in advance everyone

Hello nichtsoklug

I assume you got a Rat (Remote Administration Tool) that's one of the most used tools to get information from peoples computer.

1. Go and install an antivirus (If it doesn't detect anything then to be sure reinstall your computer)
2. Go to another PC and change all the passwords on the sites your registered to.
3. The answer to your question regarding if its possible to get a refund then (No its a non reversible currency)

But I would go and contact MtGox Regarding This problem. What the amount of btc stolen if we are talking 5+ then they might do something about it.

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:04:17 PM

Are you using same password on any other website?
nichtsoklug (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 06:23:59 PM

yes I am.

however, currently I don't want to change my passwords because I'm not sure if there's any malware on my computer.. that's what I'd like to know
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:52:32 PM

yes I am.

however, currently I don't want to change my passwords because I'm not sure if there's any malware on my computer.. that's what I'd like to know

Well you can download avast or sophos Antivirus and scan your pc but i doubt your pc is infected. I am sure your id/password got leaked from some rouge site or you did login on some unsafe pc.
RW02

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:57:09 PM

probably Apple after some extra money....
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:58:32 PM

Do you use the same Login/password as other sites?

That's one of the many issues i've seen come up.  People use the same the email/password for all of their accounts, so if you were to enter on some fake site to mine your data, they can easily access your other accounts.

nichtsoklug (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:48:38 PM

I did a malware scan with virus barrier express without results. also downloaded sophos and will run that later.

but it seems more likely that someone got my password without malware... I actually remembered that once all my contacts in my e-mail acc got spam mails from my address, and at that time I think I used the same password for mtgox. I'll just change my passwords and hope that will be fine

thanks for your help guys!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: