Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:45:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase unauthorized buys totaling 8.1 BTC..? Anybody else..?  (Read 1002 times)
Stake (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:37:54 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1rhdsg/coinbase_unauthorized_buys_totaling_81_btc/

View the reddit thread where I have explained this.

Has anybody else had this happen to them?

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
malaimult

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 01:51:55 AM

You are the first!!  You are lucky. Everyone else want's to buy and have theyr transactions canceled by coinbase, and you cancel your orders

Stake (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:22:41 AM

You are the first!!  You are lucky. Everyone else want's to buy and have theyr transactions canceled by coinbase, and you cancel your orders

Lucky?  I had $6,700 USD in fraudulent charges on my account.

It's solved now but I'm not lucky at all.
malaimult

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:31:23 AM

Try and buy some from coinbase now. let us know if you can.

Stake (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:39:24 AM

Try and buy some from coinbase now. let us know if you can.

I detached my bank account.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:15:16 AM

I have a completely dedicated checking account hooked up to Coinbase and I maintain a balance of about $200 in it.  Any excess gets siphoned off to my primary checking rather quickly.

I also am careful to never access either my bank account or my Coinbase account or my larger blockchain.info wallet from either an Android or Windows machine.  I would not from Apple-based OS's either if I had one.  And I keep no significant wallet.dat files kicking around even on my secure machine.

The shit is getting valuable folks.  It's hard to adjust as the price multiplies by orders of magnitude.  I was lazy and got taken by Instawallet for more than I wanted to lose because of the price rise, but was lucky and got it back.  It's doing both yourself and the ecosystem a service to NOT get ripped off if possible.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
michiganmushrooms

Activity: 23

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 03:12:32 PM

Do you think an alternate checking account is good enough? I am debating going that route or just getting a new account entirely for dealing with coin base.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 07:08:28 PM

Do you think an alternate checking account is good enough? I am debating going that route or just getting a new account entirely for dealing with coin base.

The separate checking account earmarked for Bitcoin work appears on the same login so I can quickly transfer funds from my other accounts into and out of it using on-line banking.  I cannot see a feasible exploit, and it seems that it would have saved the OP the trouble he describes.

Sure would be stupid to share username/password between Coinbase and one's on-line banking though.  Just sayin'

Unrelatedly, if Coinbase is trying to recognize and take pro-active actions on attacks/failures of the nature described by the OP, then it makes some sense that they would have a tough job and some false positives.  I'll bet that Coinbase has a bunch of customers who are senile 80 year old grandmothers with enterprising highschool aged relatives.  I was delighted that I did not need to send Coinbase a high quality identity theft kit, but relying exclusively on checking account access has some inherent risks it seems to me.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Stake (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:10:10 PM

The separate checking account earmarked for Bitcoin work appears on the same login so I can quickly transfer funds from my other accounts into and out of it using on-line banking.  I cannot see a feasible exploit, and it seems that it would have saved the OP the trouble he describes.

Sure would be stupid to share username/password between Coinbase and one's on-line banking though.  Just sayin'

Unrelatedly, if Coinbase is trying to recognize and take pro-active actions on attacks/failures of the nature described by the OP, then it makes some sense that they would have a tough job and some false positives.  I'll bet that Coinbase has a bunch of customers who are senile 80 year old grandmothers with enterprising highschool aged relatives.  I was delighted that I did not need to send Coinbase a high quality identity theft kit, but relying exclusively on checking account access has some inherent risks it seems to me.

This is exactly what I do.

I have a checkings and savings and buy/sell BTC with the savings and move it in seconds to my checking which is what I use to live.

However, my savings account was empty, but it's still a nightmare to have this happen..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: