Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:27:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a way to build a wallet generator till you hit the jackpot ?  (Read 9615 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:57:40 AM

People have tried, and are still trying to bruteforce an address with funds in it. To my knowledge no one has done it yet

Nor is that likely to occur unless and until either the breakers aquire a 150+ qbit quantum computer or a serious flaw is discovered in the address algo.  Even if both were to occur, the odds of succes aren't particularly high.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:04:10 AM

People have tried, and are still trying to bruteforce an address with funds in it. To my knowledge no one has done it yet

Nor is that likely to occur unless and until either the breakers aquire a 150+ qbit quantum computer or a serious flaw is discovered in the address algo.  Even if both were to occur, the odds of succes aren't particularly high.

So you're telling me there's a chance??

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:34:42 AM

Nor is that likely to occur unless and until either the breakers aquire a 150+ qbit quantum computer or a serious flaw is discovered in the address algo.  Even if both were to occur, the odds of succes aren't particularly high.

Yes, there is a chance.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 02:59:16 AM

Yes, there is a chance.

I know. Its a reference to 'dumb & dumber'.

Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 07:41:10 AM

There is a chance that you're actually a super intelligent alien with IQ of 1,000+. There's a chance for pretty much anything, but it doesn't mean that it will ever happen.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:06:12 AM

Nor is that likely to occur unless and until either the breakers aquire a 150+ qbit quantum computer or a serious flaw is discovered in the address algo.  Even if both were to occur, the odds of succes aren't particularly high.

"Inventions have long since reached their limit, and I see no hope for future improvements."
   -- Julius Frontenus, 10 A.D.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:42:08 PM

"Inventions have long since reached their limit, and I see no hope for future improvements."
   -- Julius Frontenus, 10 A.D.

True enough, but bitcoin also has methods for upgrading both the address algo and the blockchain algos while maintaining backward compatibility and without a need to even pause the running network.  If there is even a credible threat, bitcoin can change to address that threat, whether or not most people desire to remain with their old address style/algo.

mintmoney

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2013, 02:01:27 AM

L.O.V.E. IT!

-Minty
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 03:25:01 PM

why would i do that.  

i started out thinking no way that this was going to work but then i had a hit. it might be just luck but its still running so i will wait and see.

edit its been running for 183 hours.
If there is some random number generator insecure, then this is seomthing that could costs people millions.
(and even worse for the unlikely case that Bitcoin addresses aren't secure enough)
The Android RNG was flawed - it was announced across the top of this site that it was and that anyone who had a wallet generated from an android with the affected software should immediately make a new wallet and move their coins there. If people didnt' pay attention to that, they could be in for some pain. I'm a little surprised that more attacks haven't occured, honestly
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: