Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:51:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a way to build a wallet generator till you hit the jackpot ?  (Read 9615 times)
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:24:20 PM

Still, there are only 2^160 possible addresses from the 2^256 pool due to RIPEMD-160.

Sorry for hijacking, but I have another newbie question.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_Bitcoin_addresses

If 2 different hashes at step 2 produce the same hash at step 3 (which is theoritically possible, although very unlikely, I know)
Then the final base58 address would be the same, though the ECDSA keypair would be different.

What happens, then, if someone sends coins to this address?
I'm guessing both ECDSA key pairs would be able to spend those coins?

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
qtronix

Activity: 596
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:27:49 PM

i have been running a random number generator for over a week, over 100 hours and hit 1 wallet with $4.13. it might take a million years to target one address but there's not just one out there.
the only thing i have not done is log the private key that had cash in it the program just keeps running. but i will be changing that soon.
Care to share the generator for analysis?

why would i do that.  

i started out thinking no way that this was going to work but then i had a hit. it might be just luck but its still running so i will wait and see.

edit its been running for 183 hours.
Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:30:26 PM

why would i do that.  

i started out thinking no way that this was going to work but then i had a hit. it might be just luck but its still running so i will wait and see.

If there is some random number generator insecure, then this is seomthing that could costs people millions.
(and even worse for the unlikely case that Bitcoin addresses aren't secure enough)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 03:33:05 PM

why would i do that.  

Why? It's a potential security exploit in bitcoin. If people abuse it before it gets patched, it's over.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:39:00 PM

i have been running a random number generator for over a week, over 100 hours and hit 1 wallet with $4.13. it might take a million years to target one address but there's not just one out there.
the only thing i have not done is log the private key that had cash in it the program just keeps running. but i will be changing that soon.

If you really hit an address, please make a big post about this and let people analyse it, unless there is some bad random number stuff / low entropy stuff like brainwallet involved this should not have happened.
He just found a weak brain-wallet  Wink

Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:42:52 PM

He just found a weak brain-wallet  Wink
Not by using a random number generator.
qtronix

Activity: 596
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:13:24 PM

no
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:31:36 PM

no

What's the public hash of the address you found?

Even with everything that everyone says about hashes, we did get a duplicate GUID one time where I used to work.  It caused major issues but from everything we could investigate, we really did get a duplicate.  It's the only place where I have used GUIDs where it has happened, but it did happen once.

Nobody believes me and I have been called a thousand names on forums for mentioning it, but I can assure you it happened to us once.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:37:47 PM

no

What's the public hash of the address you found?

Even with everything that everyone says about hashes, we did get a duplicate GUID one time where I used to work.  It caused major issues but from everything we could investigate, we really did get a duplicate.  It's the only place where I have used GUIDs where it has happened, but it did happen once.

Nobody believes me and I have been called a thousand names on forums for mentioning it, but I can assure you it happened to us once.

A SHA256 collision is billions of times less likely than duplicate GUIDs.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:12:56 PM

Yes.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:44:17 PM

Still, there are only 2^160 possible addresses from the 2^256 pool due to RIPEMD-160.

Sorry for hijacking, but I have another newbie question.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_Bitcoin_addresses

If 2 different hashes at step 2 produce the same hash at step 3 (which is theoritically possible, although very unlikely, I know)
Then the final base58 address would be the same, though the ECDSA keypair would be different.

Correct. 
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:47:52 PM

Even with everything that everyone says about hashes, we did get a duplicate GUID one time where I used to work.  It caused major issues but from everything we could investigate, we really did get a duplicate.  It's the only place where I have used GUIDs where it has happened, but it did happen once.

GUID is 128 bit.  If you generated so many numbers that you had a GUID collision every second you would on average only have one 256 bit collision every 5,395,141,535,403,007,094,485,264,577,495  (for the record that is a trillion times longer than the universe has existed).
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:21:01 PM

In fairness, SHA-256 isn't used to create bitcoin addresses, it's used to secure the blockchain.  The current address algo is 168 bit, IIRC; but if it ever looks to be at risk, it can be upgraded.  The first character of the address is what denotes the address version.  The primary reason that there is no 2xxx... address types yet is because there isn't really a better algo to migrate towards.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 10:46:21 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2013, 02:02:45 AM by DeathAndTaxes

In fairness, SHA-256 isn't used to create bitcoin addresses, it's used to secure the blockchain.  The current address algo is 168 bit, IIRC; but if it ever looks to be at risk, it can be upgraded.  The first character of the address is what denotes the address version.  The primary reason that there is no 2xxx... address types yet is because there isn't really a better algo to migrate towards.

Well in fair fairness it is 160 bits; the checksum doesn't add uniqueness.   Still 160 bits is 4 billion times less likely than a 128 bit one.  The probability of a collision with a specific key (first preimage attack) is even less likely.
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:04:58 PM

Correct.  

Thanks!

(first preimage attack)

If you're talking about the question I asked, I think we should quit using "attack".
This is clearly not a valid nor sane way to "attack" bitcoin, as ROI would be ridiculously low compared to mining with the same processing power.

Can we just replace "first preimage attack" by something like "first preimage hazard" or something sounding even less likely?

And back on topic, There are currently just a little more than 11 millions addresses with unspent outputs.

Finding one by running a random generator looks less likely than winning national lottery 3 times in a row.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:22:12 PM

And back on topic, There are currently just a little more than 11 millions addresses with unspent outputs.

Finding one by running a random generator looks less likely than winning national lottery 3 times in a row.

And currently there are only just over 11 million BTC in circulation, so the average address has about 1 BTC.  If the odds of such a thing occuring to you, by random bad luck or otherwise, simply divide your massive bitcoin wealth up into a few addresses.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 02:32:50 PM

And currently there are only just over 11 million BTC in circulation, so the average address has about 1 BTC.  If the odds of such a thing occuring to you, by random bad luck or otherwise, simply divide your massive bitcoin wealth up into a few addresses.
Not correct. If you take out of the equation top ~10 addresses, the per address amount for the remaining ones is much less.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:54:42 PM

Not correct. If you take out of the equation top ~10 addresses, the per address amount for the remaining ones is much less.

But I did not take the top anything addresses out of the equation, so the average win should an address collision ever succeed would be 1 BTC right now.  If someone is trying to collide with one of those top 10 addresses in particular, then the odds are nominally zero before the heat death of the known universe.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 10:42:46 PM

But I did not take the top anything addresses out of the equation, so the average win should an address collision ever succeed would be 1 BTC right now.  If someone is trying to collide with one of those top 10 addresses in particular, then the odds are nominally zero before the heat death of the known universe.
Okay then, mister heat death.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Rupture

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:42:30 AM

People have tried, and are still trying to bruteforce an address with funds in it. To my knowledge no one has done it yet
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: