Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:05:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][Datacoin] Datacoin blockchain start announcement (Minor code upd + logo)  (Read 171793 times)
maxsolnc

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 11:36:03 AM

DTC needs to deal with this fact because storage is the essential part of how people perceive the coin.

I'm sure that you know how do people perceive TOR network. 'You can find CP, weapons, drugs and other illegal things here!' But very many people use TOR every day not for CP or weapons, just to get some blocked information. Quote from comment mentioned by GreekBitcoin:
People do WAY more risky stuff every day for no gain such as running tor exit nodes.

DTC: DMcKNp47fNtgM7sritK9GfJEQ1DzME5nwk
BTC: 1FgUGra685ZwkrX5VnRvfaYp4bHJhC7x4H

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptrol

Activity: 637
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 11:40:12 AM

You sound like you do not appreciate the fact that people are posting their worries here. If you ask me, THAT makes no sense!

I didn't meant to sound harsh, but this topic has appeared a thousand times in this thread and is something that simply can't be avoided, like it can't be avoided to find illegal content in the internet.

If my suggestion sound non-sensical to you, then something else must be done to bring those people like me to your side. If one can convince me that the illegal issue is not really an issue, I will promptly invest and promote the coin. Until now, none of the arguments were strong enough to accomplish that.

Every technology has the potential to do good or bad. This is no exception and the good things outweighs the bad things.

Perhaps, what this community really needs is a group of lawyers to come here, and add their own two cents on the topic. Do you know any that would do that?

I absolutely agree.

And BTW please read the reddit post linked by GreekBitcoin.
rayvellest

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 11:43:31 AM

...i could answer you that you will never probably get arrested for storing the blockchain where others put something illegal...if you know what i mean..

THAT is the EXACT kind of argumentation that non-tech investors want to see before thinking on investing large in DTC.

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 11:45:17 AM

But i wanted to ask something i am not i remember correctly. Maybe it is already posted somewhere in this thread.

I have the blockchain in my computer. Is it possible for me to delete part of it without a problem? Lets say i dont want the first test file already stored in the blockchain. Can i delete it somehow but continue having the rest of the blockchain without problem?
maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 11:59:11 AM

But i wanted to ask something i am not i remember correctly. Maybe it is already posted somewhere in this thread.

I have the blockchain in my computer. Is it possible for me to delete part of it without a problem? Lets say i dont want the first test file already stored in the blockchain. Can i delete it somehow but continue having the rest of the blockchain without problem?
how can you 'delete' this file? Please read carefully first part of linked comment
http://www.reddit.com/r/Datacoin/comments/1tvwhu/if_i_run_a_datacoin_node_and_somebody_uploads/cecdi4e

steganography -
data is sandwiched inbetween a bunch of other blockchain data
. So I can give an example, let's say: your 'illegal picture' has first 3 bytes bytes (in ASCII form) aef . After encoding they turn into wn3. After incuding into blockchain, if you open it with hexeditor, you can see sdfg25sdwfge0021nsd23. How can you delete this data? How can you see it as illegal?

And I agree with cryptrol\rayvellest about lawyers, but I really have no idea when to find lawyers for such question.

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 12:10:19 PM

But lets say you know that wn3 from sdfg25sdwfge0021nsd23 is what you want deleted. Can you delete those 3 bytes without problem? Obviously i dont understand how blockchain work yet and thats why i am asking...
maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 12:21:04 PM

But lets say you know that wn3 from sdfg25sdwfge0021nsd23 is what you want deleted. Can you delete those 3 bytes without problem? Obviously i dont understand how blockchain work yet and thats why i am asking...
AFAIK it is impossible in general - you need to find all these bytes, or at least some of them to corrupt file. I suggest that it will be rejected by all other network, and you'll need to re-sync your blockchain.

rayvellest

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 12:22:31 PM

The community needs to adapt the argument to serve the non-tech investors and non-tech crypto enthusiasts more appropriately:

Please take a look at the following arguments:

1. Ah! The very concept of what is legal or illegal can change with time, we shouldn't bother with that anyway!
2. But if DTC stops the permanent uploading to the blockchain, then where will Assange upload the next lot of secret documents?
3. It doesn't matter if some people upload files to the blockchain, if you don't have access to it, why are you worrying?
4. The files are going to be stored via steganography, so the file only exists for one who holds the key to it.
5. Anyone who uploads illegal files and keep the access keys to it would be incredibly stupid.

All of these are NOT good enough. Why?

They demand some sort of faith in the system or believe in a specific paradigm. (1,2,3 and 5) ...or they demand some sort of specific technical knowledge. (4)

Arguments that require some sort of faith in the system, or believe in a paradigm, are entirely useless. Some people will adopt those arguments, but the majority will not, and if the success of DTC is intrinsically related to bringing the masses to the coin, one MUST conclude these are weak arguments that will not help in the long term.

Arguments that require some sort of technical knowledge are GOOD, but ONLY if people are able to understand them. For instance, the very use of the word steganography is going to make loads of people run away from the coin. The argument itself is good, but it needs to be simplified to reach the masses.

I've been working in the advertising industry for 10+ years, and these are techniques that marketers have been successfully using long before that.

maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 12:28:38 PM

The community needs to adapt the argument to serve the non-tech investors and non-tech crypto enthusiasts more appropriately:

1. Ah! The very concept of what is legal or illegal can change with time, we shouldn't bother with that anyway!
2. But if DTC stops the permanent uploading to the blockchain, then where will Assange upload the next lot of secret documents?
3. It doesn't matter if some people upload files to the blockchain, if you don't have access to it, why are you worrying?
4. The files are going to be stored via steganography, so the file only exists for one who holds the key to it.
5. Anyone who uploads illegal files and keep the access keys to it would be incredibly stupid.

They demand some sort of faith in the system or believe in a specific paradigm. (1,2,3 and 5) ...or they demand some sort of specific technical knowledge. (4)

Arguments that require some sort of faith in the system, or believe in a paradigm, are entirely useless. Some people will adopt those arguments, but the majority will not, and if the success of DTC is intrinsically related to bringing the masses to the coin, one MUST conclude these are weak arguments that will not help in the long term.

Arguments that require some sort of technical knowledge are GOOD, but ONLY if people are able to understand them. For instance, the very use of the word steganography is going to make loads of people run away from the coin. The argument itself is good, but it needs to be simplified to reach the masses.

I've been working in the advertising industry for 10+ years, and these are techniques that marketers have been successfully using long before that.

I understand you very well. I hope that someone from DTC community can find these 'simple words' - just now I cannot.
But as it was said above, practically every useful discovery can be used in bad way.

btw one more "argument" : the same uploading can be done with Bitcoin

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 12:32:32 PM

I like this thing but for sure needs some time. But yeah i am trying to understand as much as i can about Datacoin so that i can do this...
rayvellest

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 01:04:31 PM

I understand you very well. I hope that someone from DTC community can find these 'simple words' - just now I cannot.
But as it was said above, practically every useful discovery can be used in bad way.

I've just read on another thread started by oocook5u that DTC will innovate again by hosting web-applications. I'm not sure if I understood that clearly enough on a technical level, but that new way of using the storage characteristic seems even more exciting than just permanent storage.

Perhaps, DTC would be better served by dropping the "permanent storage" argument from its official communications, such as datacoin.info, twitter.com/datacoininfo, the announcement thread, and any other first point of contact with new users.

I think something on the lines of "data transactions" would sound a lot better as the PRIMARY argument for the coin. Actually, that is THE ESSENCE of DTC, and from a pure marketing point of view, even match with the acronym DTC. Smiley

So, if that change is made, anytime someone get to know DTC, they will know that is a coin that focus on the development of "data transactions".

Then, to complement that, a second page should be created on datacoin.info, entitled "types of data transactions", where DTC could list all POTENTIAL data transactions that MAY or MAY NOT be developed. On this page then, you could include things such as: permanent storage, self-hosted web applications, or anything else.

With that positioning, non-tech investors are going to see DTC as a coin with HUGE potential, many possibilities and alternatives. The coin will grown in value, the community will continue to grow, and then more crypto-enthusiasts are going to keep coming back to this and other threads to keep on suggesting more types of "data transactions".

That will help to build a strong participative community based on the POTENTIAL of the coin, and do not need to rely on one specific use of it.

maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 04:45:06 PM

I've just read on another thread started by oocook5u that DTC will innovate again by hosting web-applications. I'm not sure if I understood that clearly enough on a technical level, but that new way of using the storage characteristic seems even more exciting than just permanent storage.

Perhaps, DTC would be better served by dropping the "permanent storage" argument from its official communications, such as datacoin.info, twitter.com/datacoininfo, the announcement thread, and any other first point of contact with new users.

I think something on the lines of "data transactions" would sound a lot better as the PRIMARY argument for the coin. Actually, that is THE ESSENCE of DTC, and from a pure marketing point of view, even match with the acronym DTC. Smiley

So, if that change is made, anytime someone get to know DTC, they will know that is a coin that focus on the development of "data transactions".

Then, to complement that, a second page should be created on datacoin.info, entitled "types of data transactions", where DTC could list all POTENTIAL data transactions that MAY or MAY NOT be developed. On this page then, you could include things such as: permanent storage, self-hosted web applications, or anything else.

With that positioning, non-tech investors are going to see DTC as a coin with HUGE potential, many possibilities and alternatives. The coin will grown in value, the community will continue to grow, and then more crypto-enthusiasts are going to keep coming back to this and other threads to keep on suggesting more types of "data transactions".

That will help to build a strong participative community based on the POTENTIAL of the coin, and do not need to rely on one specific use of it.

thanks for this thought! I need to spread these words in our team, and these changes in sense of marketing sound good to me. I'll work with website in that direction today/tommorrow.

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 06:49:56 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Datacoin/comments/1ut0xu/compiled_successfully_but_tries_to_redownload/

Someone is having problems with ubuntu. If anyone can help...
jpmi1

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:16:56 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Datacoin/comments/1uvn8o/datacoin_on_openexpw/
Datacoin on openex.pw

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯ RELAUNCH First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ https://poloniex.com/exchange/btc_yin
XPM:AeuQPMAGRLyWbWkVgAtE4JcfSyGHATUkmG
DTC:D9mwyQo9xPAPWCtKYhthnX2uSPivcjKyLN
maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 01:20:08 PM

posted an answer, now datacoin-qt Linux version is available on http://datacoin.info/datacoin-qt
(built under elementaryOS - Ubuntu fork)

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 09:24:54 PM

I want to make a guide for solo mining. But i am pretty sure there are stand alone miners for solo instead of the qt one.

Can you point me at what is the latest release or generally what you prefer? Thanks.
maxsolnc

DTC unofficial team

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 09:44:57 PM

I want to make a guide for solo mining. But i am pretty sure there are stand alone miners for solo instead of the qt one.

Can you point me at what is the latest release or generally what you prefer? Thanks.

AFAIK Primecoin had problems with interconnecting external miner and qt wallet (or even daemon), so need to check that with Datacoin.

jpmi1

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 04:21:14 AM

@Datacoininfo just bought the dev of www.openex.pw a coffee. XD

https://twitter.com/Datacoininfo/status/421857251192623104

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯ RELAUNCH First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ https://poloniex.com/exchange/btc_yin
XPM:AeuQPMAGRLyWbWkVgAtE4JcfSyGHATUkmG
DTC:D9mwyQo9xPAPWCtKYhthnX2uSPivcjKyLN
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 04:32:31 AM

@Datacoininfo just bought the dev of www.openex.pw a coffee. XD

https://twitter.com/Datacoininfo/status/421857251192623104

lol nice! i didnt know you could do that!
bobalo

Activity: 80

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:33:12 PM

I have a problem with my wallet , says no block source available?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 »
  Print  

Jump to: