Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:46:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoinseller in Amsterdam?  (Read 834 times)
MartijnW (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 08:13:16 AM

Anyone in or near Amsterdam who is willing to sell me Bitcoin in a face to face meeting? I find it completely impossible to procure it in any other way,
given that I am (a) not American, (b) not active on eBay and so (c) can't get verified anywhere.

Though I wonder why I bother because all this crap will kill off Bitcoin unless someone figures it out. Still, I'd like to at least give it a try.

I'm @meneerwarnas on Twitter, contact me if interested. Looking to convert circa 100 euro to BC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 12:18:41 PM

Anyone in or near Amsterdam who is willing to sell me Bitcoin in a face to face meeting? I find it completely impossible to procure it in any other way,
given that I am (a) not American, (b) not active on eBay and so (c) can't get verified anywhere.

Though I wonder why I bother because all this crap will kill off Bitcoin unless someone figures it out. Still, I'd like to at least give it a try.

I'm @meneerwarnas on Twitter, contact me if interested. Looking to convert circa 100 euro to BC.

You can transfer money to mtgox from a euro account.

Ubitex.org is the real solution to the problem of getting money in and out of bitcoin but it's taking a while to get up and running. I see one seller listed 82 km away from Amsterdam.
Blinken

Activity: 338
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 03:35:09 PM

You can transfer money to mtgox from a euro account.

Ubitex.org is the real solution to the problem of getting money in and out of bitcoin but it's taking a while to get up and running. I see one seller listed 82 km away from Amsterdam.

You don't seem to understand. He wants to BUY THE BITCOINS WITH CASH. No credit cards, no accounts, no registration, etc.

The problem with the "exchanges" is that they are not actually exchanges, they are clearing houses that require you deposit coins with them so if they get hacked you lose your coins (Mt. Gox anyone?). Also, they all have registration processes and require either credit cards or an account with a cash-equivalent that requires a credit card (or bank account), thus your transactions are no longer anonymous, there is a digital trail back to you through the credit card/bank account.

The OP is absolutely right that there is need for truly anonymous buying and selling. Someone could provide this by allowing buy orders to be set up with postal money orders or by accepting cash by mail or by accepting Western Union.

One thing I think is really anonying is that the "exchanges" require you to make an "account". When I go to a grocery store I don't want to start a goddamn account. I want to pay my money and get groceries. The same goes for bitcoins. This obsession with accounts is exactly the controlling/Orwellian identity control that people are trying to avoid with bitcoins in the first place.

Hopefully someday some genius will finally figure this out and make a web site that lets you buy bitcoins without an "account".

Bitcoin ♦♦♦ Trust in Mathematics, Not Bankers ♦♦♦
MartijnW (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 08:10:37 AM
Last edit: August 19, 2011, 08:44:20 AM by MartijnW

Actually it's not about doing it anonymously. I just want to GET some. But I can't because nobody knows me from Adam and nobody will trust me.

(Conversely, I won't trust anyone who now suddenly does ;-)

I tried to get verified via Bitmarket.eu but they gave up: I'm not active on eBay (only 1 transaction) and although I have a business Paypal account in good standing, Paypal and Bitcoin don't go together so well.

So what is the use of a digital currency you can't actually use online, to trade with people you don't know?

That being said: I still want some.

Edit: I've signed up with MtGox and that seems to work, save for the fact that I need to do a wire transfer to place funds there. Still, creditcards and European banking transfers are planned as options later this year. Thanks to both of you for comments and help!

Edit 2: Planet Money also had problems getting Bitcoin and had to do it face to face: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/07/13/137795648/the-tuesday-podcast-bitcoin
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 09:03:33 AM

Actually it's not about doing it anonymously. I just want to GET some. But I can't because nobody knows me from Adam and nobody will trust me.

(Conversely, I won't trust anyone who now suddenly does ;-)

I tried to get verified via Bitmarket.eu but they gave up: I'm not active on eBay (only 1 transaction) and although I have a business Paypal account in good standing, Paypal and Bitcoin don't go together so well.

So what is the use of a digital currency you can't actually use online, to trade with people you don't know?

That being said: I still want some.

Edit: I've signed up with MtGox and that seems to work, save for the fact that I need to do a wire transfer to place funds there. Still, creditcards and European banking transfers are planned as options later this year. Thanks to both of you for comments and help!

Edit 2: Planet Money also had problems getting Bitcoin and had to do it face to face: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/07/13/137795648/the-tuesday-podcast-bitcoin

I work in amsterdam-north.
I could sell you some.
PM me.

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 09:42:55 AM

Bitcoin-Central.net accepts european bank wires for free, and doesn't charge a trading commission, might be the easiest for you if you can wait 24 to 48h for your bank wire to clear.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: