Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:27:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins stuck in old tradehill account  (Read 164 times)
REF (OP)

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 01:16:05 AM

Five years ago I sent several bitcoins to an old TradeHill account by mistake. This was after TradeHill went on temporary hiatus and had reopened as a high volume bitcoin investment group. At the time I immediately opened a helpdesk ticket with them, sent emails to all company members, and sent PMs on bitcointalk forums. I didn't receive any response from my attempts to contact them. Do I have any legal recourse in recovering my bitcoins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AttorneyBitcoin

Activity: 167
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 01:52:47 AM

This requires a complex answer so I will cover the basics here. Immediately I see a potential statue of limitations problem. Most states have a 5 or 6 year statute of limitations for contract matters. This means that if more than the allowed time has past, and you have not filed any legal action, you would then be prohibited from doing so. When the contract was formed and when the breach occurred are two important issues in SOL matters.

If you could still file a lawsuit then you would have to first look at any written contract you had with the Vendor, which is likely found in their terms of service or other disclosure by them that you agreed to. The matter may be required to go to Arbitration or there could be a clause that states where any arbitration or court action must take place.

If this is a legitimate investment firm then you also might be required to go through mandatory arbitration.

Next you must study the contract and see which sections were breached and then gather proof of your case. The amount of damages is important as it will determine which level of court this would be filed in.

If you have worked through all of these issues and you can file a suite, you have to know where and who to serve with the summons and complaint.

If they are claiming to be an investment firm and they are not registered with the SEC, you could also seek the help of the SEC. You could file a complaint with the SEC even if they are a registered investment firm.

I hope this gives you a start and that I have answered at least some of your questions.

Best:

George D. Greenberg, Esq.

www.attorneybitcoin.com

carlfebz2

Activity: 2926
Merit: 727

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 04:29:43 AM

Five years ago I sent several bitcoins to an old TradeHill account by mistake. This was after TradeHill went on temporary hiatus and had reopened as a high volume bitcoin investment group. At the time I immediately opened a helpdesk ticket with them, sent emails to all company members, and sent PMs on bitcointalk forums. I didn't receive any response from my attempts to contact them. Do I have any legal recourse in recovering my bitcoins?
Seeing on the situation then this thing would really be hard since there were no agreements or any physical form or transactions between another party. They can easily denied on such thing if you plan to do any legal actions.We know on whats the process when it comes to these kind of situation.All means of recovery,necessary things,proofs etc. would be asked if you cant represent any of those things then this thing would be useless.
REF (OP)

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 01:42:45 AM

This requires a complex answer so I will cover the basics here. Immediately I see a potential statue of limitations problem. Most states have a 5 or 6 year statute of limitations for contract matters. This means that if more than the allowed time has past, and you have not filed any legal action, you would then be prohibited from doing so. When the contract was formed and when the breach occurred are two important issues in SOL matters.

If you could still file a lawsuit then you would have to first look at any written contract you had with the Vendor, which is likely found in their terms of service or other disclosure by them that you agreed to. The matter may be required to go to Arbitration or there could be a clause that states where any arbitration or court action must take place.

If this is a legitimate investment firm then you also might be required to go through mandatory arbitration.

Next you must study the contract and see which sections were breached and then gather proof of your case. The amount of damages is important as it will determine which level of court this would be filed in.

If you have worked through all of these issues and you can file a suite, you have to know where and who to serve with the summons and complaint.

If they are claiming to be an investment firm and they are not registered with the SEC, you could also seek the help of the SEC. You could file a complaint with the SEC even if they are a registered investment firm.

I hope this gives you a start and that I have answered at least some of your questions.

Best:

George D. Greenberg, Esq.

www.attorneybitcoin.com

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

It's still a few months short of five years. Much of the mentioned information can be found using wayback machine to navigate tradehill.com. My account and btc address is from the original company circa 2011. I sent the coins by mistake in 2013 after they closed and re-launched. I may have used incorrect wording to describe the company. TradeHill was originally a bitcoin exchange. When they relaunched I believe they were still an exchange but only for individuals with large bank balances. I feel confident that I can prove the bitcoins where transferred by me into an address of a tradehill account that I own.

Who would be the correct type of lawyer for a case like this?

For reference, these are two pertinent web pages I found on wayback machine.
Original Legal Agreement
Some Parties Involved
AttorneyBitcoin

Merit: 101

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 09:16:26 PM

If you would like to proceed with this further you may contact us at our office in Las Vegas, Nevada. 702 796 5221.
Kokondao

Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 11:13:08 PM

That's very annoying, and it feels to make us deceived even it can be really deceiving, and I think it's very difficult for you to file in a legal entity.
Manoharachan

Activity: 93
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 24, 2018, 11:29:10 AM

I think to take the legal course you can do, try and try to do it and you can get your thing back, and you can enjoy your bitcoin with pleasure.
pocket_lck

Activity: 105
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 09:47:39 AM

Better you really should try it on the legal path if your bitcoin amounts a lot, and if you succeed you can get your bitcoin back at a high price at the moment.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: