Author Topic: z  (Read 4511 times)
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 03:18:26 PM

If the government wanted to destroy bitcoin what they could do is do business with bitcoins and every bitcoin they got, just send to one wallet file and either destroy it or never use it.  This would cause deflation till there were very few bitcoins left.  With the current amount of bitcoins they could go on an exchange and buy them all up pretty easy.

This would not work and would cost the government a lot of money... so maybe they'll try it =)

It doesn't work because Bitcoins are infinitely divisible. Short term they're divisible to 8 decimal places, but long term more decimal places can be added. The ramifications of this are quite remarkable really... for  if the gov bought 20 million coins and destroyed them, there would still be 1,000,000 x 1,000,000,000 currency units available (assuming all coins have been mined). Then, two more decimal places can be added and there would be more units than the system started with!

Now, most people get very turned off by that, believing it to be inflation. However, it does not have the adverse effects of "money printing," because the unit values are instantly reflected among all holders of the Bitcoins. When the Gov prints money, your bank account doesn't increase in proportion, thus you've been robbed. When Bitcoins are added through new decimal places, every client reflects this, as do prices, and thus no significant adverse or immoral effect is caused.

So if the Government started buying coins to destroy them, it would send the value sky high, and there would always and forever be enough units of the currency to enable trade. In the same way, it doesn't matter how many people lose their own coins (it's only bad for those people, not for the economy or other holders of the remaining coins).
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 03:36:56 PM

If the government wanted to destroy bitcoin what they could do is do business with bitcoins and every bitcoin they got, just send to one wallet file and either destroy it or never use it.  This would cause deflation till there were very few bitcoins left.  With the current amount of bitcoins they could go on an exchange and buy them all up pretty easy.

If they do this the bitcoin price will rise to almost infinite

So, i hope they do that, i'll become super rich  Cool

miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:42:14 AM

They wouldn't need to buy them all, probably more like a million or so. Yes, it would drive the price up, but it would still be a bargain by US government spending standards.
So you're suggesting that they could kill bitcoin by making everyone involved in it rich?

LOL I was thinking the same thing.

Most of the ideas here are good attempts but would either cause wider adoption on global basis, a rise in the value of Bitcoins or wind up being irrelevant. One of the more plausible would be cracking down on the exchanges and payment services such as Dwolla, but there is no absolute necessity to convert Bitcoins to any other currency once the incentive to use BTC over EUR/USD/JPY or what-have-you is great enough.

If you take away my livelihood, I'll go make my living somewhere else. In other words: if my money is worthless, I'll use a different money.

There has never been any measure fully successful at outlawing an alternate currency in any nation that has seen its legal, domestic currency lose value. Bitcoin is even more surreptitious and insidious to a government than physical pieces of paper. The usage cost of Bitcoin is so minimal that it completely trumps existing currencies.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: