Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:45:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Proposal] Enable sending of less than a full sMerit / Gold and Silver merits  (Read 316 times)
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 12:26:57 PM

The merit system since its inception has come with its challenges as well as the merit that it has added to the forum which should not be undermined. However, its not all perfect as there are still room for improvement which is witnessed by this suggestion as sell as contributions for or against such move. In my opinion, I think that this model of merit system currently in place has not run its full course for it to be improved upon. A whole lot of people are still trying to grasp how it works, others are wanting to know why it's scarce, some are thinking its a form of attack on lower rank members etc. Adding this would just make the whole process more complicated than it already is. Its not up to one year since its roll out, when that is fully done, other improvements can roll in.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cobalt9317
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 278

Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2018, 01:34:41 PM

Great idea. Let's make "meritoshi"  or fork sMerits Smiley .As we saw on 1. April, many additional "currencies" can be implemented.

The worst case scenario can you give me a 0.001[smerits] so I can rank up to the next level.  Cool
selezneve

Activity: 132
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 02:42:51 PM

This proposal is not completely mine; it was inspired by a post of another user in the German forum. I am also not sure if it wasn't proposed here already.

I propose to allow to send less than a full sMerit point, for example half a merit, or 0.1 or 0.3 merit points.

The reason: Lower-ranked users have often very few sMerits to give away. But many of them want to participate and say "thank you" to other users even if they wouldn't send them one of their scarce full sMerit points they own. In fact, this is one of the more frequent complaints I read about the Merit system.

So if they could send less than a full merit, lower-ranked forum members could rate other users more often. This could increase the acceptance of the merit system (which I consider a very positive initiative) among this large user group, and make it less "elitist".

Alternative / simpler proposal: In addition to the "full Merit points", create a lower category of merit points - for example "silver merits" that are valid 0.1 full merit points, and full merit points would then become gold merits. That would essentially have the same effect - lower-ranked users would be allowed to participate more frequently in the merit system.

Technically, this shouldn't be a problem. The only possible disadvantage I see is that merits could, in certain circumstances, circulate slower if high-ranked members chose to give away silver merits or fractional merits instead of full merits. That could be prevented if, for example, the sending of fractional/silver merits is restricted to users that have less than e.g. 50 available sMerits.

It is better the current way, allowing merit points in decimal points will cause a lot of confusion. Regarding new users with one merit point, not being able to give merits to other users, this is not a big issues. How hard is it to get two merit points ? Admin could have implemented the system like sending one Smerit to each registered member but this is again something that merit farmers will abuse. They will create multiple accounts to get that one default merit point and spread it to main alt accounts.
Zapo
Copper Member

Activity: 224
Merit: 156

Stay Dangerous!

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 12:06:36 AM
Last edit: April 09, 2018, 12:23:03 AM by Zapo

Forum already seems slow to me when loading images, don't think loading a shit ton of data with 0.01 merits is a good idea for the forum.

Love the suggestions though, fun to ponder.

~Zapo

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: