Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:09:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask miners? What do you want from your pool? How can we make MT.Red Better?  (Read 1455 times)
redditorrex (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Nom Nom Nom

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2011, 06:08:55 PM

If you aren't aware of MT.Red, we are a pool spawned off from the great community of folks over at Reddit.

It is our goal to make the most functional mining environment for you guys, with the absolute best must have features.

So what do you wanna see in a pool?  How can we get you to mine with us. You can see a feature list in my sig, and on the site https://mtred.com/

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
RR

Reddit Mining Team - MtRed.com = Pure PPS + #00GH/s + LP(+) + AutoPay&InstaPay + Audio Notifications
Find us in #mtred @ irc.freenode.net

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 02:21:44 AM

I LOVE MtRed, but I just can't stand the variance that comes with the last few difficulties.  I think in order to attract more people to the pool, adopt some of Deepbit's features, such as:

• the ability to adjust the timeout alert threshold for each worker
  • total BTC generated for the last 24hr window
  • SMALLER fonts.  Not to pick nits, but with MtRed it looks like I'm visiting a video game site when I'm at work.  With Deepbit it's all business and doesn't look too out of place in a work environment
  • more lines per page on the "Found Blocks" page
  • instant updates of worker shares instead of once every 5 minutes

That's all I can think of now Smiley

Mousepotato
Artefact2

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 09:53:02 AM

Well for one, you still use use a broken reward method (prop is just wrong, PPS is insane in the long run unless you have fees that make it not worth it). Also, I can't see any mention of a fee percentage on your site (only the parts accessible w/o logging in).

But hey, I may be nitpicking since I'm not really mining on your pool, so do what you want with my answer (and if this is inappropriate, I'll delete this message).

[Edit: just noticed you now allow anonymous users to see the found blocks. That's a nice improvement! It was ineffective anyway.]

A pool-biased blockchain representation, by me: pident (WTFPL)
TeaRex

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 01:47:47 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2011, 02:17:27 PM by TeaRex

I'd love to see some kind of anti pool hopping. I admit that I (manually) hopped a bit for a while, but now with bithopper and stuff being widely adapted there's no way for a non hopper or even a casual manual hopper (like I was) to come out even.

I'd suggest going with the tried and true delayed block announcements that deepbit and now btcguild also use - people already know this method and it's easy enough for the non mathematical mind to understand, so they'd probably trust it more than other solutions such as pay per last N shares.

With your pool size you'd probably need more than one hour for it to be reasonably effective, maybe four hours or so.

Otherwise, keep up the good work! From here in northern Germany, MtRed's server is among the very fastest as far as time between establishing the HTTP connection and receiving the getwork or getting confirmation of the share submission is concerned, only some small German pools such as the new (and I fear non-viable) BTCpool24 are faster. I like that as it keeps miners running more smoothly. Also your stale rates are pretty low.

*Image Removed*
I'm not asking for donations, but if you think YOUR post is deserving a donation FROM me, send me a message.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:12:01 PM

I'd suggest going with the tried and true delayed block announcements that deepbit and now btcguild also use - people already know this method and it's easy enough for the non mathematical mind to understand, so they'd probably trust it more than other solutions such as pay per last N shares.
Delaying announcements is NOT going to help anything.

As soon as 3-4 bigger pools run delayed (currently only 2 huge pools run delayed prop.) there will be measures against this. The only ones who loose are the regular miners again, as they get less transparency but still get hopped.

Also a code change like this might introduce bugs while only being a temporary measure. Please rather invest your time and ressources in implementing a safe payout method instead of trying to secure an algorithm that is broken by design.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
TeaRex

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 06:55:07 PM

As soon as 3-4 bigger pools run delayed (currently only 2 huge pools run delayed prop.) there will be measures against this.

Can you describe those measures? What would they be like? I honestly don't know.

*Image Removed*
I'm not asking for donations, but if you think YOUR post is deserving a donation FROM me, send me a message.
hawks5999

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 07:33:21 PM

As soon as 3-4 bigger pools run delayed (currently only 2 huge pools run delayed prop.) there will be measures against this.

Can you describe those measures? What would they be like? I honestly don't know.

there's a thread that isn't stickied but lives at the top of the mining software subforum. Start around page 140 or 145. Or you can read all 153+ pages if you are interested...

■ ▄▄▄
■ ███
■ ■  ■               
LEDGER  WALLET    ████
■■■ ORDER NOW! ■■■
              LEDGER WALLET
Smartcard security for your BTCitcoins
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
Decentralized. Open. Secure.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 10:11:46 PM

Just had a quick look to confirm that the two offered reward structures are proportional and pay-per-share.

I personally like to think that some bitcoin miners have a grasp of probability sufficient to understand the fundamental flaw with the proportional reward structure.  No amount of obfuscation can prevent pool-hopping.

For now I'll continue to mine solo.  I'd consider joining this pool for PPLNS.
Furyan

Activity: 175

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 05:24:39 PM

Just had a quick look to confirm that the two offered reward structures are proportional and pay-per-share.

I personally like to think that some bitcoin miners have a grasp of probability sufficient to understand the fundamental flaw with the proportional reward structure.  No amount of obfuscation can prevent pool-hopping.

Off the top of my head I can't think of other options that wouldn't put the pool operator out of business almost immediately.  Any proposals?
Matoking

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1m8xa

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 02:46:25 PM

JSON API which has the same information as on the My Profile page.

BTC : 1CcpmVDLvR7DgA5deFGScoNhiEtiJnh6H4 - LTC : LYTnoXAHNsemMB2jhCSi1znQqnfupdRkSy
Bitcoin-otc
BitBin - earn bitcoins with your pastes!
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 09:26:33 PM

Off the top of my head I can't think of other options that wouldn't put the pool operator out of business almost immediately.  Any proposals?

PPLNS perhaps.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: