Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:47:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another idea to get rid of the shitposts, but a different way...  (Read 221 times)
bitart (OP)

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 09:23:40 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2018, 09:50:52 PM by bitart

I have an idea (again Smiley )
Maybe this would be just a kind of symptomatic treatment like the painkillers, but anyway painkillers also help, at least for a while...
Somewhere I have read to let users to ignore complete topics (spamming megathreads, etc...) to have an easier overview of the new topics and posts in this shitpost ocean, where the quality posts are as rear as desert islands...
So, my idea is the following:
If someone, someday will decide to start to ignore the spam threads and the spammer users, and works hard on it, after a while he/she will have a decent list of the topics/users to ignore.
In the current situation, each and every user have to do the same, search for all the topics/posts to ignore, if they want to have a clearer view in the end.
I would propose a kind of 'filter' which is similar to an adblock addon, like you can input a list of threads/users to ignore and that would apply for you only, and after the forum would list only the relevant topics, posts for you.
Everybody would be able to set the ignore list up for himself/herself, but there should be an option to 'load' a list from someone who you trust/agree with/like/etc... or from a central repository.
Just and example:
I know that e.g. JetCash has a quite long ignore list, so if some users are happy with JetCash's ignore list, they could apply that filter for themselves as well, and they would save the effort for themselves...
I know it's possible to copy the ignore list, but that's only for users, not topics...
I know it's hard to develop and to implement, but this is only an idea...
If people would start to use a solution like this, this would cause that spammers and shitposters won't bother the majority of the forum, but only each other and the few remaining users who won't apply any kind of 'filter', because this would only be optional (I don't want to force anybody to do anything...)
Let me know your cons Smiley
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Your Point Is Invalid

Activity: 756
Merit: 510

Dear me, I think I'm becoming a god

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2018, 10:11:09 PM

There was an effort similar to this a couple years ago where there was a list of spammers for people to add to their ignore lists, it didn't work out well.

npredtorch
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 11:52:37 PM

So this idea requires..
-A person/s that would constantly list spammers & shit posters. (much like SMAS)
-A new feature in bitcointalk that would ignore user/list of users inputted on a box or text area. (bulk ignore system)

Then, anyone can decide whether to use this *person* list?

Cons:
- it would be too hard to list all these users and upcoming new registrants.
- how about for users that have improved over time? would they permanently be ignored?
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2018, 11:57:49 PM

-snip-

This is similar to Danny Hamilton list where he put spammers on it and it finally included everyone having a signature.
Afaik, you can import it manually to your ignore list but expect to see the word ignore more than Bitcoin itself.

SMAS is better but i don't think it contains every bounty spammer.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
evlogii

Activity: 33
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 05:13:25 AM

Different people have different opinions and criteria regarding a shit post. So, I am not sure if I would be comfortable applying someone else ignore list on my profile. Do some work on your man, it is not that hard especially considering the benefits it comes with.

The end purpose you aim at (getting rid of shit posts) is important though and I think admin should focus on that in next forum update.
Pvt-snafu

Activity: 98
Merit: 4

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 07:22:29 AM

This might help also. 

I hope this scribbling makes sense.

For keeping the obtained rank you should get a certain amount of merit points. The gradation could look like this:

Junior Member: 2 merit points a month.
Member: 4 merit points a month.
Full Member: 10 merit points a month. And so on.

I might be a bit too ambitious on merit point, numbers look quite high and can be reviewed.
This should eliminate the bountyspam from users who just keep doing that because they can, bounty hunters will just lose the rank and ending up being Junior Members/Newbie either improving their post quality. This system also requires additional actions against merit abusers.

The most real control instrument looks like health system from some RPG.
By not receiving enough merit points the account will lose, figuratively speaking, "health". After losing 5 health point in a row account automatically lose 1 rank (de-ranking).

We can also safeguard the old inactive users, the ones who are inactive won't be affected at all. On the over hand, for the users which are willing to take a rest from the forum and obviously don't want to lose a rank, we can create some sort of "afk" button. By entering it you won't be affected by monthly merit points requirements, on the over hand in this mode possibility of writing the messages is equal to zero.

That's just a draft, don't judge me too hard.
Tyrantt

Activity: 1022
Merit: 564

Need some spare btc for a new PC

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 07:28:30 AM

Different people have different opinions and criteria regarding a shit post. So, I am not sure if I would be comfortable applying someone else ignore list on my profile.

Shit is shit, regardless of someone else's opinions and criteria. That saying:" someone else's trash is another's treasure" doesn't apply.

Need some spare btc for a new PC that can at least run Adobe Dreamweaver.

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2018, 07:50:58 AM

Thanks for the mention, but I would exress caution if anyone is thinking of using my list. It is very subjective, and I include peple who post large images in threads, and who make full and unnecessary quotes. I haven't published my list yet, mainly because I think \I should include reasons for inclusion, and that will involve quite a bit of research. If anyone is concerned about being on my list, I did create a support ticket system for appeals, and the link is here - Talk merit support ticket system .

I think it would be far easier to restrict board posting for newbies and juniors. I know it is a broad brush approach, but it would reduce the work for the mods.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
bitart (OP)

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 07:34:06 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2018, 08:22:38 PM by bitart

Different people have different opinions and criteria regarding a shit post. So, I am not sure if I would be comfortable applying someone else ignore list on my profile.
There are several members who have ignore list, this was the important part of the idea, that people can select which ignore 'filter' they want to apply. There can be filter groups like 'light', 'medium', ..., 'no mercy'
Mentioning JetCash was just an example, I was not referring to that specific list, I just needed an example. There are several other members with ignore list, like the above mentioned Danny Hamilton's list and AGD has a very long ignore list too Smiley

Do some work on your man, it is not that hard especially considering the benefits it comes with.

Well I already have an ignore list, and I know who's the next to include...
Emilyearl

Activity: 700
Merit: 105

APESWAP

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 11:34:49 PM

If this is implemented, it will help each user censor what they want to see or read. I qlso want to agree with you based on the fact that every a good number of users adopts this strategy, the forum posts will be filtered real quick. But again I want to point out that not everyone will like this approach.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: