Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:33:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it right to kill a violent burglar?  (Read 2125 times)
shiki3226

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 07:35:34 PM

In my honest opinion, if it a violent burglar gets hurt or killed as an effect of act of self defense or defensing the people that you love, then it should be excusable. Besides, the thief disregard his own human rights when he decided to rob someone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Heidim

Activity: 266
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 02, 2018, 09:58:09 AM

funny enough where am from, if you are a burglar and you get caught in the act, immediate jungle justice will follow you get beaten to death and only with luck can you survive.   

Yep I've seen mob justice here in South Africa and it is brutal. They do phone the cops but what can 2 cops do when there is a whole mob beating the burglar up? In my opinion its not right, but If you break into my house and threaten the lives of my loved ones you bet I'm going to fight back.
coinoutraged

Activity: 68

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 12:52:05 AM
Merited by RodeoX (1)

That's part of the risk a burglar has to take and ACCEPT when they decided to take people's stuff in their own home. And if they have an accomplice that lived, he should be charged with murder, because they both set the wheels in motion that led to the criminal's death. And makes you wonder about the burglar's family, where they can't comprehend why the homeowner would kill their precious boy, and that the home owner should be in jail, as if the burglar was just a regular citizen, walking home from church and was randomly attacked by a stranger.
Descon

Activity: 61
Merit: 3

Staker.network - POS Smart Contract ETH Token

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2018, 02:53:45 AM
Merited by Carlton Banks (2)

It is sad what is happening into our society but if you can by any means can disable the burglar its a much better way than killing.
Nucular

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 05:17:27 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2018, 06:45:55 PM by Nucular

That's a pretty bizarre story. I'm not too familiar with the UK, but are such crimes so rare that people are in a way innocent and don't realize that everywhere else in the world burglars often times kill their victim and posses a huge danger? Or are the rule makers extremely innocent of such matters and think there's no way that a criminal is capable of such things, because they've never experienced anything negative in their lives?
xWolfx

Activity: 322
Merit: 20

Donating 10% to charity

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 01:13:34 PM

Most places then to legally favor gun self-defense over any other kind of weapons or fists.

From the moral point of view, i believe it's obvious. When you get in dangerous situations yourself you will see that it's pretty simple in fact. You draw your weapon and threaten the intruder to leave or you will kill him - Tends to be more than enough for most of them. However, if the intruder have a gun too the situation needs to be controlled carefully by either surprising them for a place where they cannot look at and making them drop the gun or ultimately shooting if he is going to shoot back.

There is a good amount of clueless people with good intentions defending taking the guns out of the honest people. Defending with knives or bats for good people without training against a criminal experimented using it won't be any easy, in fact its unfair.

The lesson of the day, get a gun and learn to use it to defend your family. The criminals will always know how to get guns.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3068

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 07:01:18 PM

It is sad what is happening into our society but if you can by any means can disable the burglar its a much better way than killing.

Exactly, the idea is to protect your property from theft and trespass, not to take revenge for the robbery they were prevented from committing as a consequence of killing them. That still carries a high risk that they will be killed, of course. 
groko271

Activity: 790
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 03:53:50 AM

Exactly, the idea is to protect your property from theft and trespass, not to take revenge for the robbery they were prevented from committing as a consequence of killing them. That still carries a high risk that they will be killed, of course. 

what about protecting your family? children? sisters, grandma?

You two have no idea of reality. Try waking up at 2am with a bunch of robbers running through your house? believe me you're not thinking of "disarming" lol....... if you break in to do any crime, being where your not supposed to be, expect to be met with brutal force!
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3068

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 10:43:52 AM

You two have no idea of reality. Try waking up at 2am with a bunch of robbers running through your house? believe me you're not thinking of "disarming" lol....... if you break in to do any crime, being where your not supposed to be, expect to be met with brutal force!

Right, I agree pretty much. But that doesn't change what I said really; if you're pointing a gun at a trespasser, and you shoot them in a space like a house, it doesn't matter how hard you try, the chances of killing them are pretty high. Presumably you would go for the head shot though, right?

There's about as much chance of succeeding with attempting to kill as there is of trying to do minimal damage. Let's put it this way: if I confronted an intruder and they were a safe distance from me or anyone else, I'd warn them to drop everything and get out, without shooting. But if the confrontation happened too close for comfort, I think I'd just shoot them quickly without a word.  

So really, heed your own words. If this actually happened to you, would you really turn into Arnold Schwarzenegger in a 'roid rage? Or would you do everything to prevent the situation escalating to something more dangerous? I think you'd be more likely to come out of it better if you don't deliberately take extreme or risky courses of action.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 01:51:21 PM

I feel like it would ruin my life to kill an intruder. The trauma of shooting someone, the legal fees, it would be horrible.  However during the event the only thing that matters is winning the fight. I have had the displeasure of getting into gunfights on three continents now and I know how to shoot back. But it is illegal (in my state)  to kill someone to protect property. The only time you can use that gun is when "You or someone in your immediate presence is threatened with death by an assailant".

That means if my gun comes out someone is going to get shot in the chest.  The idea of wounding an intruder or shooting for the legs is an absolute movie fantasy. If an assailant has chosen to risk your life you do not play games. You do not yell "Freeze!" or threaten to shoot them, you shoot them. Follow these best practices if you are considering joining those who carry everyday.

1. Budget.
It will be very expensive to carry. The gun needs to be a good one that you can bet your life on. $1000. You will need to join a club to train. That will be maybe $400 per year. You will need to get a background check for the gun, another for the CC license, and you will likely need to attend a class. All these will run about another $100. You will want to get insurance to cover yourself and that will cost about $400 per year. Ammo for training will run about $600 per year minimum. That is only 50 rounds per month. Better to budget 50 / week.  Holster, spare mag, cleaning kit and miscellaneous accessories is another $100. So that should get you started for your first year at about $2600. It ain't cheap.

2. Train with the best.
Most clubs have three-gun, CC, and other training opportunities to improve your skills, pay for them. Listen to your instructors and always:
Keep your gun on you, chambered and safety off.  On you mens ON YOU, not in your car, not in your purse.
Always shoot for the center of mass. Not the legs, don't try to shoot the gun out of his hand, shoot right for the center of the chest.
Stop shooting when the threat is over. If you keep shooting because you are mad or whatever, then you are going to jail for murder.
Plan your defense at home. Mark out all the distances you might be fighting from in your home and set your sights accordingly.
Do ballistics tests with your gun to determine the best ammo. Under and over-penetration are problems.

3. Watch videos.
This is a weird one, but you can learn much from watching the successful and failed attempts of others to defend themselves.  Check out this youtube channel for an example of what I mean.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2z1NrvF2ImeNWh84mw

4. Avoid gunfights whenever humanly possible.

groko271

Activity: 790
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 01:58:07 AM

Right, I agree pretty much. But that doesn't change what I said really; if you're pointing a gun at a trespasser, and you shoot them in a space like a house, it doesn't matter how hard you try, the chances of killing them are pretty high. Presumably you would go for the head shot though, right?

There's about as much chance of succeeding with attempting to kill as there is of trying to do minimal damage. Let's put it this way: if I confronted an intruder and they were a safe distance from me or anyone else, I'd warn them to drop everything and get out, without shooting. But if the confrontation happened too close for comfort, I think I'd just shoot them quickly without a word.  

So really, heed your own words. If this actually happened to you, would you really turn into Arnold Schwarzenegger in a 'roid rage? Or would you do everything to prevent the situation escalating to something more dangerous? I think you'd be more likely to come out of it better if you don't deliberately take extreme or risky courses of action.

encounters like this are over in seconds. its why there's no point in relying on the police. I'd think anyone who has a weapon in the house would be trained to use it. Not like Arnold, lol, but there's a basic level of operation required and offered to those who prefer this option.... other than being helpless. Besides i'd call pointing a gun at someone the best way to de-escalate the situation......... anything else, and  the perp will most likely attack.
honghe99

Activity: 406
Merit: 10

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 09:19:58 AM

In my country, murder and theft are very different. Even if there is a thief, if you kill him, then you will go to jail. This is the law, we can't change it!
becklyn06

Activity: 79

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2018, 12:50:40 PM

This is really a tricky one, kìlling has alot to do with the motive. While the burglar did wrong by invading, killing can hardly be justified. if this kìll was strictly in self defence then the pensioner should not be prosecuted for defending his family but if its for any other reason, the authorities should get to work and do the needful after concrete investigation.
crwth
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1247

Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2018, 12:37:42 PM

No one has the right to kill anyone, regardless of what they done, said and thought. No matter how guilty, insane and unforgivable that person, you still don’t have the right. If those stories and scenarios you have heard that burglars are dead or wounded on the crime scene, I think it is only because of self defence. But I think if you stay calm, not let him get triggered or just follow his/her instructions, the burglar won’t be violent.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 03:58:39 PM

No one has the right to kill anyone, regardless of what they done, said and thought. No matter how guilty, insane and unforgivable that person, you still don’t have the right. If those stories and scenarios you have heard that burglars are dead or wounded on the crime scene, I think it is only because of self defence. But I think if you stay calm, not let him get triggered or just follow his/her instructions, the burglar won’t be violent.

There are times when that may be the best choice. But consider that you are letting a violent criminal decide your fate. That is never going to happen in my home. I don't want to kill someone but if they are risking my life, then shooting them dead won't even raise my pulse.  I won't cooperate, I will become a threat to the intruders lives.
Gyro

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 06:00:15 PM

I don't think it is right to kill anyone, but I don't think you can blame someone for defending themselves either.

In my opinion, if a person violently entered your home, it shouldn't be punished with jail time if you kill them.
You can't be at fault for not willing to risk your's and your families lives.

Old dude shouldn't go to jail for this. Give him some fine, sure.
Just so he knows you can't just kill someone and have no cost or consequences for it.
But he isn't really at fault here. This should be a legal decision someone can make.

The killed person would still be alive if he hadn't tried to rob this family. I say give the pensioner a medal and 125 BTC. Good job!

markdario112616

Activity: 816
Merit: 133

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 10:47:30 AM

In morally and ethically speaking it is not right to kill, nor hurt someone. But in a life and death situation, It's uncontrollable, whether you like or not bad things may occur. Though, the result or the outcome still depends on both parties judgement or succeeding actions.

Been there done that, and trust me, In such situations where your safety and life is on the line, A lot of things will come popping in your mind and it's really uncomfortable. Though, I decided not to put the law in my own hands. I agree on what @descon said, I just disabled the robber and wait for the authorities to do their thing. At that point, I only think of my family and what could be consequences I could face if I killed the robber. Yes, it is an act of self defense but the damage done is irreversible and I don't think that I could live with the fact that I just killed someone.
nostrings

Activity: 116

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 04:26:55 PM

I dont think its right to kill someone even if they break into your house.  The only way I think it is justified is if they have a weapon and are threatening to kill you.
mandoseran

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 07, 2018, 03:22:34 PM

Because if you see it very clearly the perpetrator's motive has been fulfilled and done intentionally, the perpetrator enters the house and is already in the main room suspected of attacking the body or taking things or attacking the honor so that "the coach" defends.
BitPotus

Activity: 1050
Merit: 604

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 12:24:04 PM

That's the most stupid thing I have ever fucking read in my life.

You might as well be bending over and handing him the pot of vaseline....

Roll Eyes

Any burglar who enters your home needs to be put down.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: