Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:21:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GHash.IO and double-spending against BetCoin Dice  (Read 112000 times)
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 04:08:27 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2014, 05:12:35 AM by NewLiberty

If CEX can double spend, or 51% attack or whathave you......the problem seems to be with bitcoin itself, not any one user. CEX seem to be good guys, what happens if bad guys develop the same power.

Good or Bad, they are subject to coercion.
Centralization of power is bad for bitcoin, it destroys its value, it adds trust relationships where they don't belong.

CEX is unwise for allowing themselves to get to this point, that alone, even if it doesn't make them "bad" and "untrustworthy", they need to be better than this.
They do not have the power to resist the coercive forces at play in the world, and either have too much hubris to see the truth of that, or are already compromised.  Either way, there are evidently necessary improvements needed.  Yes, in the protocol, as well as in the wisdom and responsibility of those that would hold its reins.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JypsiCreme

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 05:31:32 AM

Why don't just fund a pool ? We have a lof of new millionaires in dollars with BTC.
spainful

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:24:06 AM

centralization of mining pools are not a technical problem, its a people problem
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:51:19 AM

We need a usable p2pool software so that everyone starts mining. It's the only way, we need decentralized mining. We need it easy to install & configure, clean and with intuitive gui.

I don't agree on the GUI part. No serious IT infrastructure would trust a GUI. What's actually needed is that current dominant mining applications (bfgminer, cgminer) incorporate p2p component. That would bring p2p usage to new heights.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 03:16:12 PM

We need a usable p2pool software so that everyone starts mining. It's the only way, we need decentralized mining. We need it easy to install & configure, clean and with intuitive gui.

I don't agree on the GUI part. No serious IT infrastructure would trust a GUI. What's actually needed is that current dominant mining applications (bfgminer, cgminer) incorporate p2p component. That would bring p2p usage to new heights.

And eliminate pools ! Smiley F U multi pools ! Grin

I've been mulling this over for some time now..

When you say, "pool op can screw you in many ways", do you mean things like :
- alternate payout addys
- "orphans"
- blocks that pay out 10% of normal reward
- extremely high minimum share difficulty
- extremely fast share expiry rate ect..

Can you tell that I've had my fill ? heh...

Are there any plans to integrate P2P with the client ?

Make it 'turn key' and us noobs Tongue (f the morons Grin ) will flock to Anoncoin. lol

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 03:21:45 PM

And eliminate pools ! Smiley F U multi pools ! Grin

I've been mulling this over for some time now..

When you say, "pool op can screw you in many ways", do you mean things like :
- alternate payout addys
- "orphans"
- blocks that pay out 10% of normal reward
- extremely high minimum share difficulty
- extremely fast share expiry rate ect..

Can you tell that I've had my fill ? heh...

Are there any plans to integrate P2P with the client ?

Make it 'turn key' and us noobs Tongue (f the morons Grin ) will flock to Anoncoin. lol
Well yes, I just don't know why this isn't being worked on more quickly. Pools were never needed IMO.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 04:19:26 PM

centralization of mining pools are not a technical problem, its a people problem

In my experience it is easier to fix technology than to fix people.
Make the technology easier (such as adding the p2p pool options to cgminer and guiminer as suggested above) and that fixes lots of people, when the issues are understood.

Adding in merge mining options, and other profit generating activities that the pools can offer and it become easier and more rewarding.

People are more inclined to do the right thing when the right thing is not too hard for them, and doesn't cost too much.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 05:39:48 PM

Some people that have money to invest in miners are less technically inclined and might not be comfortable using a program that only uses "command lines"

johstacy

Activity: 225
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:09:28 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2018, 10:02:39 AM by johstacy

Some people that have money to invest in miners are less technically inclined and might not be comfortable using a program that only uses "command lines"

I agree that having a GUI is useful to those who are less technically as I.

ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:10:52 AM

I agree that having a GUI is useful to those who are less technically inclined however I also agree that Command Line is a good as well as you don't have to worry about the GUI resource requirements on the OS not to mention the automation that you can put in place if a GUI was not required.

I have looked into P2Pool lately and I absolutely believe that is a possible solution especially if it was integrated with the popular miners. I just wish the over all hash rate of the P2Pool network was higher to make it more profitable to mine...

You could use a GUI that could display the output that your command line program would display in a more "user friendly" format. The GUI could also change settings that you would need to type manually in your command line program. The command line verson of the program could then run in the background and the GUI would only need to be open when the user is interacting and/or watching it.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 11:32:13 AM

Having both a CLI and GUI, everyone could choose.
Why argue against the creation of such a choice, easier to just write it.

unexecuted

Activity: 175
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 06:37:05 PM

Anyone using Ghash.io at this point is NOT helping bitcoin.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 02:05:42 AM

Whats up with the addy pools ?

http://blockchain.info/pools?timespan=24hrs

NotAtOld

Activity: 200
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 11:06:40 AM

Everything I read about this did seem fishy and looked to check out.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 11:31:15 PM

Blockchain.info is openly accepting submits.
Hope those are curated.
https://twitter.com/aantonop/status/480033600872914945

ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 02:55:40 AM

Whats up with the addy pools ?

http://blockchain.info/pools?timespan=24hrs
It looks like these pools are "unknown" pools but all of the mining proceeds are being sent to the same address.

It appears that blockchain.info is trying to make their pool stats more accurate.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  All
  Print  

Jump to: