Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:22:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My bitcoin transfer didn't go through  (Read 1522 times)
Gibbie (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 08:47:24 PM

Hello bitcoin users! I am new here. I am really liking this new currency and I am getting my friends interested by giving away free bitcoins. I've been able to mine bitcoins and I've bought a t-shirt with bitcoins. A friend of mine got his bitcoin client installed and I sent him a .01 bitcoin to his address and it never made it into his wallet and it is not listed in his transactions tab. The transaction on my end has been verified numerous times. We thought it might be a firewall issue but he's looked into that with out much luck. Maybe there is still something in the firewall that is preventing this from working.

I didn't know what to search for so forgive me if this has been asked a million times.

What could be causing his client to not receive transfers? And also is there any possibility that the transfer will make it to his wallet at this point in time if the problem is resolved?

Thanks for any help you can offer me!
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jh1523

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 08:51:32 PM

Are you absolutely sure you typed the recipient address correctly? Or that you copied/pasted it correctly? A typo could cause the bitcoins you sent to vanish in the big bottomless pit of uncertainty.
Gibbie (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 08:55:32 PM

I copied what he had posted in the instant message window. I will ask him to post his address again next time I see him online. But the transfer was confirmed in my client... Could it be that someone recieved an anonymous .01 bitcoin gift?  Shocked
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 09:04:17 PM

First, punch his address into block explorer and make sure you see the transaction. You can also note the block number of the transaction.

Second, make sure his client has downloaded all the blocks (138,691 as of now). This can take 8 hours or so when you first install it. The client cannot see any transactions in blocks after the last block it has processed.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
jh1523

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 09:05:32 PM

Read this thread, it explains what happens when BTC are sent to addresses that are valid but not assigned to anyone... Chances are your transfer will show up in someone's wallet years from now.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=32807.0
delson

Activity: 20

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 03:13:03 AM

If you were typing it manually, the chances of hitting another valid address are rather slim. Be absolutely sure it was the right address. It would be funny if those coins show up years from now. Maybe BTC will be worth $1000/coin and that will be a nice surprise!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: