Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:59:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC drops in value  (Read 3387 times)
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 05:30:41 AM

this kinda sucks for me.. prices dive and recover so fast that it's way too difficult to play the game of arbitrage, at least for me. selling isn't a problem, as you  can use the coin to buy goods or services (like gift cards), but finding someone willing to buy from is such an arduous task.
pand70

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 05:32:40 AM

finally a topic about the crash without all caps in the tile  Cool

Ford

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 05:57:43 AM

This usually happens when it rises too quickly.  I know Silkroad 2 was back up and running.  There was likely a rush for people to buy bitcoins so they can start purchasing on it...so after that died down...it would make sense for bitcoin to fall.

WTF, really?! Silk Road has absolutely no bearing on the Bitcoin price what so ever! I am truly amazed how many people think that SR, in any way dictates the price of Bitcoin!

Fully agree (any effect this may have will be very small)

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 06:02:04 AM

This usually happens when it rises too quickly.  I know Silkroad 2 was back up and running.  There was likely a rush for people to buy bitcoins so they can start purchasing on it...so after that died down...it would make sense for bitcoin to fall.

WTF, really?! Silk Road has absolutely no bearing on the Bitcoin price what so ever! I am truly amazed how many people think that SR, in any way dictates the price of Bitcoin!

i disagree.. how many millions worth of bitcoins went through SR? it's a huge market.. i'm not saying the impact is extremely significant, but bitcoins serve a function for SR/online drug trade that no other currency does. SR going down probably had little effect on BTC because even though it curbs online drug supply in the short-term, there's still a big demand in the long run (which will be fulfilled by new sites that pop up). i think the value held strong because it proved that SR is not the only force that is making BTC valuable.
Ford

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 06:15:36 AM

This usually happens when it rises too quickly.  I know Silkroad 2 was back up and running.  There was likely a rush for people to buy bitcoins so they can start purchasing on it...so after that died down...it would make sense for bitcoin to fall.

i disagree.. how many millions worth of bitcoins went through SR? it's a huge market.. i'm not saying the impact is extremely significant, but bitcoins serve a function for SR/online drug trade that no other currency does. SR going down probably had little effect on BTC because even though it curbs online drug supply in the short-term, there's still a big demand in the long run (which will be fulfilled by new sites that pop up). i think the value held strong because it proved that SR is not the only force that is making BTC valuable.

But the millions that do go through, are over time, and not all bought up in a few days.
I would also think silk road v2.0 will take time to get up to speed, as i cant see people trusting it immediately + the people that buy from there will likely have some left that they were going to send on silk road v1.0.
Yes i agree it will have some effect, but i think it will be very small, hardly noticeable and not responsible for the recent peak in bitcoin price, not the current drop.

+ most the bitcoins spent on silkroad (1 or 2) will get converted back to fiat (as large drug suppliers shoot people for trying to pay in anything other than gold, dollars or diamonds  Tongue), so this should cancel out any effects there are of people buying coins to spend on drugs.

But i agree, that know one truly knows....

derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 06:38:53 AM

took 60,000 btc on gox to drive up price from 300 to 400ish
took 15,000 btc to knock it down to 300 ish
... it's going up.

Where do you get such crazy numbers from? These seem like baloney.
Taxidermista
Legendary

Activity: 1147
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 10:43:35 AM

this kinda sucks for me.. prices dive and recover so fast that it's way too difficult to play the game of arbitrage, at least for me. selling isn't a problem, as you  can use the coin to buy goods or services (like gift cards), but finding someone willing to buy from is such an arduous task.

You can't arb if you can't open a chinese account and move fiat from/to China in a few hours. That's the problem, not chart movements.

BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 10:52:41 AM

I agree.  The guy became the second-largest holder just from the fees on the site.  Hardly "nothing".

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 11:24:21 AM

Bankers don't work weekends; with all the newbies who don't know the money stops flowing, they're surprised by the fall in price as we head in to sunday.  If it weren't for china, I should think we'd rise every morning and crash every night!

tomorrow I expect fireworks as all the fiat appears on the exchanges and people see an opertunity to buy in cheaper. :-)

more or less retired.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 02:09:17 PM

Bankers don't work weekends; with all the newbies who don't know the money stops flowing, they're surprised by the fall in price as we head in to sunday.  If it weren't for china, I should think we'd rise every morning and crash every night!

tomorrow I expect fireworks as all the fiat appears on the exchanges and people see an opertunity to buy in cheaper. :-)

Tomorrow is a banking holiday in the US in celebration of Veterans day.  I am not sure how this will affect things here though.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
jzcjca00

Activity: 263

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 02:43:39 PM

Over the past few hours, BTC's value dropped from around $360 to $318 and still dropping.

What do you think the cause is?  Do you think its going to keep dropping or is it yet to boom and why?

Just curious and wondering what the community thinks.

The long term trend is strongly up.

We fell below the long term trend line by staying relatively stable for several months after the April crash.  There was good press starting about 5 weeks ago, and once it started going up, speculation drove it up too fast.  Speculators trade on momentum and therefore tend to overreact and cause large price swings. 

Now we've had a nice little correction and seem to have entered a period of consolidation, moving sideways for a while.  I think this correction is over, and we probably won't see much more downward movement soon.

I would like to see some sideways movement or slow increase to establish a nice base, but I'm guessing we will probably see a sharp rise instead.  The Monday U.S. banking holiday might delay that, since new investment dollars cannot move from U.S. bank accounts until Tuesday.

The sharper the rise, the bigger the correction, so I would like to see a more sustainable growth rate.

Because of the volatility, you would think you could make a lot of money by short-term trading in Bitcoin.  However, that requires being in fiat much of the time, which means you tend to miss the big run ups like those of the past few days.  "Buy and hold" turns out to work much better. 

I suggest investing 1% of your net worth in Bitcoin, then holding no matter what happens.  If the trend continues, it will be worth 7X in 1 year, 50X in 2 years, 350X in 3 years, 2400X in 4 years, etc.

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 02:59:00 PM

It can still correct further down, I've seen no aggressive buying yet except for a spike when BTCChina dipped to 1900 ($312). I could see those values being retested the coming hours/days, and even a further drop to 1600 ($262) is possible. I don't think this pullback will take months like the post-April crash, but one or two weeks with BTC hovering somewhere between 200 and 300 before it takes off towards the moon again is not unlikely. On the other hand this could also be just a (planned) weekend dip, and aggressive buying could begin just before the banks open up again tomorrow. Personally I'm not going to take any chances and have already bought back the BTC I sold with some profit and will sit this out. I'd like to be able to sleep and do other things for a while. Tongue

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
CMMPro

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:15:46 PM

Yawn. Going to bed now. Wake me up in a few years and bitcoin will be either thousands or pennies. What happens in-between is just irrelevant detail.

This is my strategy also....everything in between is just white noise.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 06:05:28 PM

Considering people can't remove money from gox, it seriously has only one way to go.  Back up...

It's a conspiracy... and a good one for once! lol

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:55:39 PM

AFAIK SilkRoad stuff and the like, accounts for less than 5% of BTC transactions.. I dont think this kind of activity affect the price at all !
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: