Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:34:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Build around Bitfury ASIC Chip?  (Read 1150 times)
mikenekro (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 01:04:28 AM

I was just wondering if anybody here has started from scratch and built their own USB miner around the Bitfury ASIC Chip? They go for around $25.00 for 1 test chip. I have access to engineers, CAD designers etc. at my job. They could design the circuit board. If need be I can have them etch the circuit board for me as well. I was just wondering though, what components would need to be attached for completing a 5 Gb/s (2 ASIC Chips) miner? The more information I have now, the less time it would take for me to get everything set up. I want to be able to go to the person I have designing it and tell them which parts I would need to be included in the print for the board. I think this would save him time and money on designing.

I will not be mass producing these... This is just for a little experiment to see if I can make it work. So I am not worried about buying thousands of parts or having the board designed overseas for cost cuts.

Even if you know some of the components that would be needed, that would be great.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Walking Glitch

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Amateur Professional

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:52:38 AM

I was just wondering if anybody here has started from scratch and built their own USB miner around the Bitfury ASIC Chip? They go for around $25.00 for 1 test chip. I have access to engineers, CAD designers etc. at my job. They could design the circuit board. If need be I can have them etch the circuit board for me as well. I was just wondering though, what components would need to be attached for completing a 5 Gb/s (2 ASIC Chips) miner? The more information I have now, the less time it would take for me to get everything set up. I want to be able to go to the person I have designing it and tell them which parts I would need to be included in the print for the board. I think this would save him time and money on designing.

I will not be mass producing these... This is just for a little experiment to see if I can make it work. So I am not worried about buying thousands of parts or having the board designed overseas for cost cuts.

Even if you know some of the components that would be needed, that would be great.

You'll need an oscillator for clock generation, control chip to interface between the bitfury chips and the USB bus, voltage regulators, capacitors, things like that. You're actually probably better off designing a 16 chip board and producing a few of them instead, as the cost wouldn't be 8 times a dual USB board, but the mining speed would be; it would possibly be even faster because you cold clock higher on a dedicated device.
hendo

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 05:56:38 AM

You should probably check out vs3's open source design (single chip).  Details at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=321287.0.
cscape

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 06:03:44 AM

I want to be able to go to the person I have designing it and tell them which parts I would need to be included in the print for the board. I think this would save him time and money on designing.
On the contrary. It is much better to find a competent designer, and tell him what you want to end up with. Picking the right parts is his job, and the more freedom the designer has, the better the design.

Happy with your c-scape product ? Consider a tip: 16X2FWVRz6UzPWsu4WjKBMJatR7UvyKzcy
mikenekro (OP)

Activity: 57

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:35:20 AM

Yea it doesn't have to be a masterpiece. Thanks for the info!
vs3

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 09:52:38 AM

I want to be able to go to the person I have designing it and tell them which parts I would need to be included in the print for the board. I think this would save him time and money on designing.
On the contrary. It is much better to find a competent designer, and tell him what you want to end up with. Picking the right parts is his job, and the more freedom the designer has, the better the design.

+1

It sometimes works as you said but most often the other way around - the designer will look at the specs and price and availability and pick a few good candidates. Then, eventually, if you have a preference for any of the suitable components you can say which one you want. In most cases that price list is the answer anyways Smiley

As for a starting point - take a look at my signature. The NanoFury project is as simple as it gets. And if you're a bit crafty you can make it a 2-chip, or 4-chip or as many as you want.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: