Bitcoin Forum
October 23, 2016, 10:12:57 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.0  [Torrent].
   Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
Author Topic: bottle necking my cpu? or what else may be wrong?  (Read 1494 times)

Activity: 1526

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 03:16:49 PM

Bump... I have figured out why my mhash/s is lowering on my second and 3rd card... They down clock them selves when I turn them on... I can only asume this is because of heat... So what do you guys use to keep your temps down? I hit 100c plus with all three cards on, and the middle and top cards hits 95 when I only have two running (bottom and middle or top is the same result)... Any suggestions are welcome, but my comp is in my room so using 190CFM fans in the GPU duct in the HAF X is not an option (I have tried Tongue)

Have you considered going caseless? From what I have read, it's going to be tough keeping 3x5870s cool in a case, especially if they are close together. I have enough trouble with my 2x5850s in a case, and will be going caseless soon. I know, if they are in your room, you don't want a caseless mess, but it may be the best way to keep the cards cool. If you are handy with tools, I think it isn't that hard to build an open air case that is relatively tidy. I've built an aluminum frame that I might cover with some mesh screen, and I think the end result will look OK.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 05:45:35 PM

I have the same issue with my CPU usage being extremely high. I am running a 5770 on an AMD X4 and it uses up a whole core to keep up with the miner. Is this a problem with the Catalyst driver? I really don't know what else it could be.
It's the Catalyst 11.7 Whql...The 11.6B should fix the issue.There is no need to uninstall the 2.5 APP runtime it is just the Video driver not the OpenCL variant.

If you believe this post has helped,please donate-

Activity: 50

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 07:40:31 PM

I have been thinking about going case less for a wile... And I have the woodworking experience to make a simple tech bench... I think I will do that for now if I can't find some cheap one online... I don't particualy want to replace the thermal compound (though I know how) because I don't want to void the warranty if i don't have to... Also, would you guys recommend getting PCI-E extenders and  spacing out the cards and adding two more if I will be building a custome case anyways?

My system:

CPU: pentium d 840        Mobo: 780i ultra
RAM: 4x1GB PC2-4200    CPU cooler: h70
Case: HAF X (full fans)   GPU: 3x gigabyte GV-R587UD-1GD
PSU: 1600W ultra X4      Storage: 2x wd black 1TB/ 80GB samsung/ 500GB WD balck (boot drive)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.