Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 06:15:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So I went down to the bitcoin ATM today...  (Read 13474 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 07:47:19 PM

Find an OS that can't get infected by it. Just like the poster above said.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 07:52:39 PM

A practical solution to the cryptolocker virus issue:

1) Pay the ransom. Word on the street is that when the ransom is paid within the time frame the data is unencrypted
2) Back up the data to an offline storage
3) This is the most critical step Replace Microsoft Windows with GNU/Linux and propriety software with Free Libre Open Source software. This has the following advantages:
   a) It prevents any further infection from cryptolocker
   b) It allows the victim to recover the cost of the ransom over time by not paying for proprietary operating systems, proprietary software and proprietary "security" solutions
   c) It helps deter further criminal activity of this nature by removing one potential victim from an operating system that has over time been proving to be notorious for malware, viruses and the like.
If you are a gamer, the choice to go over to Linux isn't really an option. Some software is just made for Windows. Sad

AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:44:14 PM

Gamers love to download stuff like cracks and cheats that have viruses in them....  Shocked

Just partition the hard drive and use Windows for gaming and Linux for everything else. Use boot select for OS selection.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 08:46:01 PM

Gamers love to download stuff like cracks and cheats that have viruses in them....  Shocked

Just partition the hard drive and use Windows for gaming and Linux for everything else. Use boot select for OS selection.
I've never downloaded a single crack that contained a virus. That's an issue with the gamer.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:55:48 PM

A practical solution to the cryptolocker virus issue:

1) Pay the ransom. Word on the street is that when the ransom is paid within the time frame the data is unencrypted
2) Back up the data to an offline storage
3) This is the most critical step Replace Microsoft Windows with GNU/Linux and propriety software with Free Libre Open Source software. This has the following advantages:
   a) It prevents any further infection from cryptolocker
   b) It allows the victim to recover the cost of the ransom over time by not paying for proprietary operating systems, proprietary software and proprietary "security" solutions
   c) It helps deter further criminal activity of this nature by removing one potential victim from an operating system that has over time been proving to be notorious for malware, viruses and the like.
If you are a gamer, the choice to go over to Linux isn't really an option. Some software is just made for Windows. Sad

Actually the gaming scene on GNU/Linux is changing for the better fast with Valve porting Steam to GNU/Linux. In situations where one has to use software which is only available on Microsoft Windows and there is no FLOSS alternative there are options that can at the very least mitigate the risk of infection and cost.
1) Run the software under Wine
2) Run Microsoft Windows in a virtual machine that is used only to run the software in question.
3) Run a dual boot configuration and use the Microsoft Windows side only to run the software in question.
The key is to move the main computing activity, in particular web browsing, email, and the exchange of documents away from Microsoft Windows.

If the withdrawal pains form Microsoft Windows are very high one does not have to go "cold turkey". There are ways to gradually eliminate the addiction.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:22:48 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2013, 10:54:02 PM by tinus42

She was pretty flustered and said that it was actually her work computer, so I don't think she could take me there to see it.

So why is it HER problem? She should call IT. And management should fire IT for incompetence as they obviously didn't secure the network properly.

If she was a self employed person or a business owner then there's no reason you could not get access to the computer. So I assume she is a wage earner.

Maybe she was afraid of being fired but if her boss would fire her for something which is not her fault (as on a properly secured computer she shouldn't be able to install any software without admin privileges) he is a lousy boss and she could probably sue for wrongful termination.

Unless she is the responsible IT person for the company then she deserves to get fired anyways for not doing her job properly. Wink
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:26:59 PM

She was pretty flustered and said that it was actually her work computer, so I don't think she could take me there to see it.

So why is it HER problem? She should call IT. And management should fire IT for incompetence as they obviously didn't secure the network properly.

You can't secure a network against human stupidity. IT most likely has no fault. People will open every attachment they get sent, especially on their work emails and if the emails look work related(a complaint, an order, etc.).
TObject

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:28:49 PM

Word on the street is that the dudes keep their word for better or worst. You pay up on time, your files get decrypted. You pay late by 1 minute or don't pay at all and you're screwed, it just uninstalls itself and leaves you with a bunch of encrypted files.

If the files were important enough to pay ransom, the hackers may want to take a look at them as well; I would not be surprised if the virus sends a copy to the hackers while unencrypting the files.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 09:35:39 PM

You can't secure a network against human stupidity. IT most likely has no fault. People will open every attachment they get sent, especially on their work emails and if the emails look work related(a complaint, an order, etc.).
Nothing is secure against human stupidity.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
TObject

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:46:57 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2013, 10:01:00 PM by TObject

And management should fire IT for incompetence as they obviously didn't secure the network properly.

At the present day, there is no mainstream antivirus that detects all variants of Cryptolocker.
‘Properly securing’ network against this particular virus includes (but not limited to):
-   Disallowing all *.exe and *.zip attachments
-   Disallowing execution from %AppData%, %LocalAppData% folders and subfolders
-   Disallowing execution from Zip, 7Zip, WinRar, WinZip, and other such utilities TEMP folders
As you can imagine this poses a few side effects, such as Adobe applications updates stopping working.
How can an IT administrator stop users from clicking on email attachments?
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 09:50:27 PM

And management should fire IT for incompetence as they obviously didn't secure the network properly.

At the present day, there is no mainstream antivirus that detects all variants of Cryptolocker.
‘Properly securing’ network against this particular virus includes (but not limited to):
-   Disallowing all *.exe and *.zip attachments
-   Disallowing execution from %AppData%, %LocalAppData% folders and subfolders
-   Disallowing execution from Zip, 7Zip, WinRar, WinZip, and other such utilities TEMP folders
As you can imagine this poses a few side effects, such as Adobe applications updates stopping working.
How can an IT administrator stop users from clicking on email attachments?

Keep a track of the emailing system, or even a workaround which disables attachments until an IT reviews them (not efficient, but works).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Peter R (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:55:28 PM

^^^ that was tinus42 that wanted to fire IT, not me.  I'm suing for libel: 1 BTC please  Grin

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
TObject

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:57:21 PM

^^^ that was tinus42 that wanted to fire IT, not me.  I'm suing for libel: 1 BTC please  Grin

Please accept my sincere apologies.
cosurgi

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:27:29 AM

Just wait for steambox Smiley

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 12:58:25 AM

Just wait for steambox Smiley
One of the worst things known to mankind.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
oOoOo

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:00:50 AM

If you are a gamer, you wont have critical life-and-death files or software on your hd. If you are a (small) business, relying on MS windows at this point in history is russian roulette.
JTrain_51

Activity: 84

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:05:35 AM

I have been down to the bitcoin machine around 5 times now and I love the way it runs

But I have seen people struggle because they no nothing of bitcoin but they just think its a good investment.
Rupture

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:41:13 AM

That kinda puts btc in a bad light if people start to consider it ransom money
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:58:27 AM

You're looking at it backwards. If thieves want it, must be good right?
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 07:21:40 AM

You're looking at it backwards. If thieves want it, must be good right?
I concur. Everyone wants it.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: