Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:04:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin core - payment gateway -- help  (Read 133 times)
teljon (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 02:43:39 PM

I am new to bitcoin and I want to start a bitcoin payment gateway and I don't want to use a third party API ,
I read a lot about the subject but still confused about it, what I got is that  a full node server is vital, So my
questions are:

1- what are the main components required to run a bitcoin payment gateway.(full node-bitcoin core, light client , ... ?)
2- Is it a good security practice to host the light client (payment gateway) on the same server of the bitcoin core?
3- Can I do the transactions of ethereum ERC-20 coins (send and receive) on the same server or that require another server ?
4- what other requirements do I need to run other altcoins transactions .
5- is there any recommended open source payment gateway that implement all BIPs.(javascript or PHP is preferred).

I hope I will find any help regarding these questions. thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sellingaccs

Activity: 126
Merit: 50

Ask me for Pools, Nodes and Explorers.

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 02:53:10 PM

1- what are the main components required to run a bitcoin payment gateway.(full node-bitcoin core, light client , ... ?)

Light client works as well, but running your own node to support the network would not be that bad of idea either. I'd personally avoid light clients for gateways as Core probably is most stable and overall better for developmental purposes.

2- Is it a good security practice to host the light client (payment gateway) on the same server of the bitcoin core?

So by light client/payment gateway, you mean your own program made to communicate with the bitcoin core? To generate addresses, send payments and everything that is handled by the client. There is no need for having light client like Electrum if that is what you meant. Full Client or Light client will do the same purpose about.

3- Can I do the transactions of ethereum ERC-20 coins (send and receive) on the same server or that require another server ?

Yes, you can if you have the needed resources for it in terms of hardware.

4- what other requirements do I need to run other altcoins transactions .

Depends alot on the altcoin. There are no any kind of general guide lines for development, as different cryptocurrencies can have a whole different code base and such (like Ethereum for example).

I do not know any answer to the 5th question, but i hope that my answers gave you some kind of new and useful information Smiley

teljon (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 03:02:23 PM

So by light client/payment gateway, you mean your own program made to communicate with the bitcoin core? To generate addresses, send payments and everything that is handled by the client. There is no need for having light client like Electrum if that is what you meant. Full Client or Light client will do the same purpose about.

On the same server ? If I want to install web payment gateway ?
Sellingaccs

Activity: 126
Merit: 50

Ask me for Pools, Nodes and Explorers.

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 03:05:23 PM

On the same server ? If I want to install web payment gateway ?

Ah, you meant that. The best practice for security would be to host the website and gateway on a different server than your wallets. If someone manages to get control of your gateway, then they would still have to figure out where the wallets are if done properly. This would give you some time to secure the funds in case a breach happens.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2018, 06:16:22 PM

While it would be (theoretically) possible to run a payment gateway with a light client i would NOT recommend this at all.
When running such a service you don't want to rely on others for correct information.

Its definetely better to run a full node to get 100% correct information .

You can definetely run both on the same server.
Just don't have your wallet files (or any other sensitive information) lying on this server (e.g. private keys, seed, etc.).

This can be done on the same server without problems.

teljon (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 08:10:41 PM

Thank you friends for the  great answers
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 08:57:42 PM

What pops to my mind is to use maybe BIP39 and everytime some new customer wants to make the payment you generate new address from this xPUB. Even if new generated address is not used for each time you generate the new one for sake of not enabling somebody to have same address shown for payments. Then you can do something like 3rd party API to track the received btc or alts. In this way you don't have to host the server and private keys are not stored on your server where is the database.

Other thing is if you want to use still your nodes to simply implement BIP39 and thus enable greater security by not having private keys on the server
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: