Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:51:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know what the data usage of miners is?  (Read 196 times)
dutchlincoln (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 30

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 07:20:18 AM

Hello,

I'm thinking about putting some miners in a location where wired internet is not available, and Wifi is very unstable. Therefore i was thinking about buying a GPRS/UMTS/3G/4G modem/router and connect some miners to this.

My idea is to put 3 or 4 asics in a soundproof box, have it have a lithium battery backup (ey, its 12 volts, so why not?) and connect them to a GSM modem/router with 4 ethernet ports.
Now, in my country there are SIM providers with unlimited data for a fixed price, but price depends on your internet speed. So, therefore im looking if anyone knows the usage of data, and the bandwith needed for the miners like S9, L3+, etcetera.

Anyone got some good ideas about this?

Thanks!
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 12:24:11 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

You could probably run it off dial-up.

My 100KW datacenter is connecting roughly 70 machines to probably a dozen different pools on three different algorithms and uses less than 1mbit of traffic. Not sure of the exact numbers offhand, but it's pretty low.

Also make sure your soundproof box isn't heatproof or your miners will start to bake pretty fast. Also when considering your battery backup, recall that the miners will be pulling about 100 amps each.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 10:07:23 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

What it will come down to on a cell connection is the latency. If your latency is good you can run plenty of miners off of the connection. Also, if you want to expand in the future you can setup a local proxy/dns/ntp server and reduce your bandwidth by a great amount.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
dutchlincoln (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 30

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 11:48:19 AM

Thanks for the answers!  Smiley

So, im better off with a fast but not flat-free subscription, instead the other way around...?

expansion will not be... Its in a rented room not in use but need to pay rent (its backup) and is all-in. Rentee wont give discount for not using it, so i was planning to put 4 to 6 miners in it...  Wink
ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 04:54:04 PM

As Fanatic26 stated, latency is what matters.  Do a ping to your chosen pool from each time of connection and pick whatever is fastest.  I wouldn't go with anything over 200ms, pings < 100ms should be fine.

Mined for a living since 2017.  Dabbled for years before that.
Linux admin since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: