Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:49:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-04-14] A junior banker hijacked servers from his company to mine BTC  (Read 113 times)
Karartma1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 10:29:12 AM

A junior banker in Italy hijacked servers from his company to mine bitcoin — and thousands of others are doing similar things

LONDON — Thousands of staff are stealing computing power from their employers in order to mine bitcoin, according to a top cybersecurity CEO.
Nicole Eagan, the CEO of Darktrace, told attendees at the Wall Street Journal's CEO Council event: "We have seen 1,000 crypto-mining cases in the last six months in the US alone with employees taking over company infrastructure for crypto mining. This is becoming a big problem."
Crypto mining is the process by which new bitcoins are created and involves solving complex cryptographic problems. The computing power required to crack these problems has grown exponentially since the creation of bitcoin in 2009 and it now takes huge banks of servers to crack codes. Online mining "pools" have sprung up that allow people to plug their computer capacity into digital networks and earn a share of the collective rewards.

Read more http://www.businessinsider.com/darktrace-ceo-staff-stealing-company-computer-power-mine-bitcoin-2018-4
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: