Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:50:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Phone Call From Dwolla  (Read 3639 times)
Meatpile

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:53:02 AM

I have refused to answer any questions to "confirm my identity" on the phone.  They invited me to call their COO.  Hah! The COO wants to deal with a $2 total fees account personally?  I refused to have any verbal contact or to give them any information that they did not already have.  I demanded all communication be in writing.

Because I don't trust dwolla since I read about them trying to scam tradehill.

They responded by "freezing" my "pending" transactions.  Their site said I had "0 pending" transactions.  But the last ACH withdrawal made 3 days before the phone call has yet to be credited to my bank account.  Anyway, I will give it a few more business days, then try written correspondence, then seek civil and criminal penalties.  I figure it will be worth it since I can get costs and if I'm lucky treble damages, punitive damages, or restitution.  It would be a class action if they are doing this to lots of people.

This from a company that has moved less than $10k dollars for me and has taken less than $2 in fees from me.  They already lost all their profit on me after the first phone call required a follow-up email.  And they want to play hardball without so much as a professional written correspondence.  Pfft, I'm done with them. 

I don't trust dwolla.  I'm guessing it's run by a handful of kids with little business or legal experience trying to play bigshot and not realizing the civil and criminal trouble they are walking into.  Blindly walking to their own doom, arrogant and foolish.

Jesus christ, security is more important than your whiney demands. You are really complaining that you transferred around $10K with only $2 in fees?Huh Thats amazing, you will never come across such a deal again. Well worth any hassle of extra verification steps to avoid fraud.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thefussydutchman

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

BTC- Its not a bubble.

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 02:20:01 PM

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=28314.msg359567#msg359567

already a thread like this
AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 02:46:00 PM

I have refused to answer any questions to "confirm my identity" on the phone.  They invited me to call their COO.  Hah! The COO wants to deal with a $2 total fees account personally?  I refused to have any verbal contact or to give them any information that they did not already have.  I demanded all communication be in writing.

Because I don't trust dwolla since I read about them trying to scam tradehill.

They responded by "freezing" my "pending" transactions.  Their site said I had "0 pending" transactions.  But the last ACH withdrawal made 3 days before the phone call has yet to be credited to my bank account.  Anyway, I will give it a few more business days, then try written correspondence, then seek civil and criminal penalties.  I figure it will be worth it since I can get costs and if I'm lucky treble damages, punitive damages, or restitution.  It would be a class action if they are doing this to lots of people.

This from a company that has moved less than $10k dollars for me and has taken less than $2 in fees from me.  They already lost all their profit on me after the first phone call required a follow-up email.  And they want to play hardball without so much as a professional written correspondence.  Pfft, I'm done with them. 

I don't trust dwolla.  I'm guessing it's run by a handful of kids with little business or legal experience trying to play bigshot and not realizing the civil and criminal trouble they are walking into.  Blindly walking to their own doom, arrogant and foolish.

WOW. Well of course they froze your account and I suspect it will remain that way until you verify your account. Have fun!
Kermee

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 03:33:31 PM

I have refused to answer any questions to "confirm my identity" on the phone.

I understand your position.  Just remember the issue is primarily between Dwolla and TH at the moment.  No need to put your own account 'in jeopardy' by being difficult with Dwolla since at this point, they haven't 'screwed' you over.

If they call, just ask if you would be allowed to call them back at the voice number listed on their webpage in order to verify your account/identity.  That's it.  They're not going to ask for more information than they already have of you when you signed up.  (They just verified my name, address and phone #).  Once that's done, make sure you've cleared your account of any funds, etc. *AND THEN* at that point you can be vocal by ceasing to use Dwolla.

Dwolla at this point is playing 'catch-up' with verifying users before large ACH transfers to limit their liability for reversals due to fraud.  I think they're learning pretty quickly what they need to do in order to reduce this.  Of course, this doesn't excuse them from changing the ToS on TH (or for the rest of the users & business merchants for that matter) without prior notification and doing it retroactively, but they're trying to do some much needed due diligence now.

Cheers,
Kermee
Big Time Coin

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 05:38:04 PM

It's just so frustrating that the Dwolla CEO (? for all I know) called me on the phone to ask for my personal information.  It was a shock, since I thought everyone knew that phishing phone calls happened that way.  So I had this shock that the Dwolla kids are noobs on security and privacy issues.  Then I e-mailed them to report the phishing scam.  Their response was to freeze my account.  What a way to say thanks!  That's what sent me into attack mode.

Big time, I'm on my way I'm making it, big time, oh yes
- Peter Gabriel
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: