Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:23:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about installing Linux  (Read 1081 times)
gamefixer (OP)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:28:06 PM

Ubantu 12.04 to be exact...

I'm really familiar with the world of Windows, less in the world of OSX and not at all in the world of Linux.

I've got a current machine that mines BTC and Litecoins so I'd like to maintain the same functionality in Linux. Anything that I should be aware of? Will the "out of the box" drivers work for my mobo or do I have to jump through hoops to find them? Its a fairly new ASRock/Intel board if it matters.

I dunno, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Experiences?? Thanks all!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rarkenin

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:47:55 PM

Mobo would be the least of your worries. You may need to get GPU drivers. The drivers with Ubuntu are generally open-source stand-ins, with minimal functionality and most likely no bitcoin mining. You'll need to use the additional drivers feature of software center(a standalone tool on older Ubuntu versions) to install nvidia-common or fglrx for nVidia and ATI, respectively. Don't forget drivers for any ASICs or FPGAs.

Heat can also be an issue. Ubuntu has spotty fan control, so watch your temps and be ready to reconfigure BIOS to force fans to high if anything goes wrong. Most of the time fans should be fine, or may be forced to full power--noisier but safe, though overheating from moribund fans that are being requested to run at low speeds by the OS is not unheard of.
gamefixer (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 12:39:24 AM

Are all flavors of Linux the same in resect to the fans and whatnot? Would there be a build other than Ubantu that would be a better choice? I've seen screenshots and YouTube vids of people running cg and bfgminer mining with ASIC's, FPGA's and video cards so I dont think finding drivers is going to be too hard.

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to trying a new OS.
rarkenin

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 12:58:06 AM

That I wouldn't know. I only use Ubuntu and its close relatives, Debian and Backtrack.
gamefixer (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 01:47:56 AM

That I wouldn't know. I only use Ubuntu and its close relatives, Debian and Backtrack.

I'll stick with Ubantu then. Thanks again for the reply.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:03:39 AM

This will help: http://alternativeto.net/

seanambers

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:05:36 PM

Unsure if you just want to try something new, or if you have any other reasons for wanting to change.
I do a bit of work in linux, and i find it just so much more practical to use a virtual machine.
It might seems counter intuitive, but running Ubuntu as a VM gives you the best of both worlds in my experience.
Anyways, thought i'd atleast mention it.

Links :
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
http://virtualboxes.org/images/ubuntu/

Good luck either way Smiley
gamefixer (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:32:12 PM

I just wanted to try an alternative OS.

So far so good although I cant see to get the correct drivers installed for the AMD R9 270. BFG found the 6 chili's, 1 K16 and 30 or so BE's without a hitch. Its been mining for about 4 hours without one zombie (had lots of zombies on my win7 rig).

I just need to play around with the OS more to get used to it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: