Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:39:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if Bitcoin runs out?  (Read 199 times)
yerger (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 03:46:35 PM

I want to ask, what will happen when bitcoin runs out. The amount of Bitcoin that can be mined is only 21 million. What is the fate of the miners and when will it happen?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sampalokmix

Activity: 315
Merit: 100

Investing in the future development of blockchain

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 03:50:46 PM

I want to ask, what will happen when bitcoin runs out. The amount of Bitcoin that can be mined is only 21 million. What is the fate of the miners and when will it happen?

My knowledge regarding rhis currency is Limited, but I highly believe that the splitting of the Bitcoin that was happened last few years will be the redemption of this scary scenario, I guess admins and oir fellow geniuses regarding technology will make a way for this forum to still functional and the workers were still allowed to attain profit to this innovative currency.

BelieveInBTC

Activity: 280
Merit: 15

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 03:53:17 PM
Merited by Welsh (1)

It is a common question and the answer is simple. It will take years before the block reward will reach 0 (the estimated time of mining all bitcoins is 2134). Miners earn money on block reward, which halves every 4 years, and transaction fees which usually give another 1-2 BTC profit right now. We shouldn't not worry about it because by the time it happen we will be already dead. Miners will or at least should earn enough to cover their expenses and profit from only fees. We can assume that Bitcoin will be much more popular in the future which will result in the higher price. There is also a chance that Bitcoin will be dead.

mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 03:54:37 PM
Merited by Welsh (1)

Miners will solely earn their rewards from the transaction fees alone.

My knowledge regarding rhis currency is Limited, but I highly believe that the splitting of the Bitcoin that was happened last few years will be the redemption of this scary scenario, I guess admins and oir fellow geniuses regarding technology will make a way for this forum to still functional and the workers were still allowed to attain profit to this innovative currency.
Just to make it clear, bitcoin is and was never made to earn people profit; and people earning here in bitcointalk through bounty campaigns has ZERO connection with bitcoin mining. You definitely need to read more on what mining actually is: https://www.coindesk.com/information/how-bitcoin-mining-works/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BillCoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 259

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 03:55:23 PM

Splitting bitcoin? do you even know what you are talking about?
If you mean hard fork- it's not a solution as it creates a completely different network, it doesn't change the actual amount of bitcoins that people own, it just brings people bitcoin on another network.

OP: If you are talking about block reward, the miners are supposed to get paid by fees only, and there are going to more transactions by the time the block reward will reach zero, so the fee amount will be higher.
We can always use mbtc instead of btc, so if bitcoin's price is 10000$, then 1mbtc will be only worth 10$, and people will own 1000 times more mbtc then the bitcoin they owned.
Proton2233

Activity: 434
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 03:56:28 PM

Miners will earn only at the expense of the transaction. People will always make translations. Now the miners are not thinking about it. But it is in their interest to assist in increasing the scalability of the unit. This will make bitcoin available to use in trading. This will increase the number of transactions and the potential profits of miners.
vorseb

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 03:56:35 PM

If don't wrong. If Bitcoin is already mined, the Bitcoin transaction will continue as usual and Miner still get the revenue even though Bitcoin is already mined. Because miner still get miner fee every transaction processing. But I dont know exactly when BTC will runs out.
prediction on bush

Activity: 231
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:06:29 PM

Miners will earn only at the expense of the transaction. People will always make translations. Now the miners are not thinking about it. But it is in their interest to assist in increasing the scalability of the unit. This will make bitcoin available to use in trading. This will increase the number of transactions and the potential profits of miners.

I strongly agree on your opinion that, miners will earn only at the expense of the transaction and people will always make translations. And adding also my opinion that, bitcoin is and was never made to earn people profit, and people earning here in bitcointalk through bounty campaigns has ZERO connection with bitcoin mining. In adddition, If you mean hard fork- it's not a solution as it creates a completely different network, it doesn't change the actual amount of bitcoins that people own, it just brings people bitcoin on another network.
dobidobi88

Activity: 165

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:15:25 PM

The knowledge of crypto currency that I have is still small, including in the analysis of bitcoin availability. Some sources say only 21 million can be mined. Logically, if bitcoin approaches the limit, then the price will be higher. I do not know when it will happen, and I think that's for a very long time.
merchantofzeny

Activity: 1036
Merit: 279

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:24:03 PM

Well as they are no longer receiving the reward, they'll make their money solely out off transactions. That was how it was envisioned anyway. They get transaction fees and that's the incentive for them to continue operation. Considering that should bitcoin ever reach this point, it probably already have a large value in fiat (or the ideal -it being sole currency), the miners have every reason to keep things running.
Hexah

Activity: 728
Merit: 265

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:30:09 PM

I want to ask, what will happen when bitcoin runs out.
Of course supply will be tapped out but that doesn't mean bitcoin will gone.
The amount of Bitcoin that can be mined is only 21 million. What is the fate of the miners and when will it happen?
I think it will be decided on the 22nd century.

If you want to know more about it please refer to this articles:
https://www.investopedia.com/news/what-happens-bitcoin-after-all-21-million-are-mined/
https://www.coindesk.com/information/how-bitcoin-mining-works/
Obeng ketok

Activity: 66

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:35:55 PM

When bitcoin runs out of mining, this has an impact on miners. Means the number of bitcoin does not increase, whereas in estimate the needs of more and more users are needed and have a higher value as an impact.
TheHas

Activity: 616
Merit: 167

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 11:14:26 AM

Bitcoin Miners will 'live' on the transaction fees - no more new coins 'minted' as part of the block reward.

Keep in mind, these Bitcoin miners can go elsewhere and there are plenty of somewhat self interested people/projects coming up with alternatives and forks to Bitcoin.

Most of these projects are of questionable value. There was Bitcoin Cash developed in response to high transaction fees and Bitcoin Gold is trying to be ASIC resistant - which means it wants to be good for mining on regular Graphic Processing Units.

Some coins don't have a cap. Ethereum for example currently has no upper limit, although it is likely to change in the future to be a Proof of Stake instead of Proof of Work (mining) coin.

Hope that helps, happy to go over any of this in more detail.

duoleduo

Activity: 80

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 02:20:23 PM

If Bitcoin is finished, there are other cryptocurrencies that can be mined, and miners will always find places! The number and type of new cryptocurrencies are now beyond your imagination!
cuong1610

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 02:50:02 PM

Currently digging companies still encourage miners to dig as much coin as possible before the supply reaches the threshold.
When the 21 millionth Copper Bitcoin is found, there will be no reward for the miners. However, miners still need to authenticate and store Bitcoin's blockchain transactions - so miners will only receive a transaction fee.
Currently, Bitcoin transactions are handled based on priority. The higher the transaction fee, the more incentives a miner has.
ericaltm

Activity: 96
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 03:34:34 PM

It is a common question and the answer is simple. It will take years before the block reward will reach 0 (the estimated time of mining all bitcoins is 2134). Miners earn money on block reward, which halves every 4 years, and transaction fees which usually give another 1-2 BTC profit right now. We shouldn't not worry about it because by the time it happen we will be already dead. Miners will or at least should earn enough to cover their expenses and profit from only fees. We can assume that Bitcoin will be much more popular in the future which will result in the higher price. There is also a chance that Bitcoin will be dead.

To my understanding this is partially true. But you forgot that the Bitcoin Mainnet still needs to be LIVE in order for Bitcoin to run. So, people will just run the mainnet with sophisticated hardware of the future and earn a living or some extra cash every month by doing so. Since the popularity is likely to increase, it could actually be a quite good living.

☉☉☉ ARTCOIN.AI ☉☉☉
▐| BLOCKCHAIN ART GALLERY SYSTEM |▌ (https://www.artcoin.ai/)
ummart66

Activity: 93
Merit: 13

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 03:52:30 PM

Bitcoin will still take over a hundred years to be completely mined. At that point, miners will still receive payouts from the fees paid when sending bitcoin. The idea is that adoption over time will increase, so the miner rewards will as well. This will still provide incentive for people to continue mining.

Sergey698698

Activity: 98
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 05:21:18 PM

Hичeгo нe пpoизoйдёт.Maйнepы бyдyт пoлyчaть кoмиccии зa тpaнзaкции
Yurkov

Activity: 1463
Merit: 265

Pepemo.vip

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 05:26:43 PM

That is an interesting question but i think answer is very clear, miners will make money from parts that they earned from mining and people will "believe" more in bitcoin and whole crypto world thanks to more stable price that will be made thanks to "end" of mining.

acheampong64

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 06:06:59 PM

Well, that is what makes me love Satoshi's invention. It will take a very long time for that to happen, and I think until then something to prepare or save us from that incidence will happen. This is crypto and blockchain, we solve problems.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: