Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:24:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Yifu now working with "famed banking family" to help government track addresses  (Read 11825 times)
rocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:43:42 PM

My head just exploded reading this.

Sanitizing Bitcoin: This Company Wants To Track 'Clean' Bitcoin Accounts
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/13/sanitizing-bitcoin-coin-validation/

After causing several million in losses for those who ordered chips (both delays and loss of assembly funds), Yifu is now working with old money bankers to start a firm who purpose is to create a system to help government track ownership of bitcoin addresses.

"Their plan is to compile a database of the known identities associated with Bitcoin addresses in the hope that Coin Validation will become the one-stop-identity shop for law enforcement when trying to find out who’s doing something nefarious with Bitcoin, while providing a red-flag system for businesses who have customers trying to use Bitcoin that’s associated with illicit use."

You can see where this would go, after being "opt-in" for a while, it will be legistlated that to use bitcoin in the US you have to validate all your addresses.

I'll let you decide for yourself if you think Yifu is continuing to support the bitcoin community and project.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:47:35 PM

My head just exploded reading this.

Sanitizing Bitcoin: This Company Wants To Track 'Clean' Bitcoin Accounts
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/13/sanitizing-bitcoin-coin-validation/

After causing several millions in loses for those who ordered chips (both delays and loss of assembly funds), Yifu is now working with old money bankers to start a firm who purpose is to create a system to help government track ownership of bitcoin addresses.

"Their plan is to compile a database of the known identities associated with Bitcoin addresses in the hope that Coin Validation will become the one-stop-identity shop for law enforcement when trying to find out who’s doing something nefarious with Bitcoin, while providing a red-flag system for businesses who have customers trying to use Bitcoin that’s associated with illicit use."

You can see where this would go, after being "opt-in" for a while, it will be legistlated that to use bitcoin in the US you have to validate all your addresses.

I'll let you decide for yourself if you think Yifu is continuing to support the bitcoin community and project.

I thought I read that too.Holy fuck he's an asshole.He's worse than Josh Zerlan  Shocked

"One business is already committed: Guo’s Bitcoin mining equipment maker, Avalon. A big question is whether they can get others to sign on as they’ll need a network effect to make the database useful."

So,I'm assuming he's already gave up his customers info....................................

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Hiroaki

Activity: 404
Merit: 270

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:12:37 PM

I think this was just a matter of time. Governments want to know everything...
Besides this the blockchain is very interesting for data mining.

After all one bitcoin is still one bitcoin, no matter if someone, especially "Yifu" validates it- Grin

GodfatherBond

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:15:22 PM

I have no need to hide my identity, but basicly this is something Im not going to opt-in or accept. As Bitcoin develops something like this is sure coming... but for privacy concerned users - fortunately bitcoin is not us based and I doubt that companies all around the world are ready to jump in this kind of privacy violations. I have been quite polite, even as not so happy ex-Avalon customer...  but now I can show middle finger for those all involved in such f*cking idiotic "project". I really hope that Bitcoin gore dev team stays against about privacy violations or if not I hope all miners reject all plans supporting this kind of development lines possibly planned for.

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 11:52:14 PM
Merited by ABCbits (3)

We're not going to be able to prevent well funded business people from attempting to promote horrific architectures against the long term interest of Bitcoin and the public... if we could, the same stupidity would have been prevented in the wider world and there would be less need for Bitcoin.

It's hard to count the number of times newbies have made proposals which would have centralized Bitcoin completely in the name of some fool result or another. Powerful businesses interests are now reliving the same history of bad ideas, but this time the bad ideas will be funded and they don't care if luminaries tell them that they're horrible ideas, they don't necessarily care about any of the principles that make Bitcoin a worthwhile contribution to the world.

It's not, of course, a question or "anonymity": thats silly. If you have "good" and "bad" coins, that destroys fungibility, rapidly everyone must screen coins they accept or risk being left holding the bag. Fungiblity is an essential property of a money like good and without it the money cannot remove transactional friction.  Privacy is also essential for fair markets: Without privacy your counter-parties and competition can see into your finances— get a raise and get a rent hike, and as long as there are power imbalances between people privacy is essential for human dignity.

To stop this nonsense we have to make it impractical to pull off by changing the default behavior in the Bitcoin ecosystem: We consider the lack of a central authority to be an essential virtue, which means that we can't be protected by one either. We must protect ourselves. This means things like avoiding address reuse, avoiding centralized infrastructure, adopting— and funding!— privacy enhancing technology.

Miners can play a role in this as Bitcoin users, but also by supporting mining pools and methods that promote privacy.  They want to force people to use identified addresses so they can blacklist?  What happens when miners start deprioritizing transactions that use addresses that have been previously seen?
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:02:01 AM

It's bizarre how little research journalists consistently fail to do though. I mean a simple google search and it could have been an entirely different article!

And to some some extent, way more interesting!!

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Painful Truth

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:09:12 AM

Further reading material:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=332918.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=333117.0

Lots comments:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qj7sw/sanitizing_bitcoin_this_company_wants_to_track/
helmax

Activity: 440

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:17:46 AM

i dont like this chinese guy

looking job
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:21:44 AM

I don't like this guy regardless of his nationality.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:37:34 AM

He is an American.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 01:00:43 AM

I'm also imagining this angle: "Don't you want to discourage Bitcoin theft and CoinVault ransomware? This is the ONLY way to do it, you must hate Satoshi too!"

The solution is technical, as gmaxwell says. Bitcoin's power has always been that it solves real world problems with technical innovation (as well as us skinbags to provide the network effect and rational self interest, of course). Let's not stray from that line of reasoning, it has served us well, indeed given us more or less all of what we have with Bitcoin right now.

Vires in numeris
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 01:34:36 AM

someone sue yifu's ass already to keep his scammer ass preoccupied. he looks to smug in the photo

ok
rocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 01:43:54 AM

someone sue yifu's ass already to keep his scammer ass preoccupied. he looks to smug in the photo

Considering how many people lost money in the ASIC chip scam due to his obviously illegal activities and business practices, it is rather surprising there has not been an organized effort to sue him. Even if you recieved your chips, they arrived so late that you lost all of their value.
Milan77

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 01:49:01 AM

He is an American.

He is simply asshole, regardless nationality...
Paladin69

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 01:52:35 AM

I was waiting for this to happen.  Didn't think it would come from Mr. "Bitcoin will change your life".

What a sell-out.  Is there any doubt he was benefiting from the Avalon delays?
rpgman1

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 01:52:55 AM

Seems Yifu is a sellout after that ASIC mess he did. Okay more like a traitor to work with bankers (paper money).
Bicknellski

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:25:16 AM

He is an American.

He is simply asshole, regardless nationality...

He is an asshole and an American of Chinese descent.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:43:53 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 02:54:00 AM by Gator-hex

Chinese state media supports Bitcoin, which is as good as saying the government does too.

This is the natural result of ASIC centralization of Bitcoin. I've warned about this for ages.

Well at least the price will rise with government backing but expect a power grab on the coin production as it becomes more valuable.

If you want a distributed coin network, you better keep mining those Litecoins boys!

bassclef

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:48:08 AM

Considering how many people lost money in the ASIC chip scam due to his obviously illegal activities and business practices, it is rather surprising there has not been an organized effort to sue him. Even if you recieved your chips, they arrived so late that you lost all of their value.

By delaying the chip orders so long, Yifu lost the trust of the Bitcoin community.

He singlehandedly destroyed the community mining projects and caused Bkkcoins, developer of the K16, to disappear without a trace with the firmware unfinished. This left Steamboat and Terrahash, both who took on great risk and hundreds of thousands of forum members' dollars to assemble miners, screwed. Terrahash took the money and ran, Steamboat gave partial refunds. Bkkcoins still has 8 of my bitcoins.

Yes, he refunded the chip orders. But he's done the Bitcoin community a huge disservice and we should actively work to boycott any business venture he chooses to be a part of.

I lost a lot of money due to his incompetence, and should we ever meet in person, the result will be less than cordial.
helmax

Activity: 440

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:49:50 AM

lol only say dont like some guy make me troll

anyway we have zerocoin
 for now nonsence mining litecoin

looking job
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: