Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:37:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Debt Deal Reached  (Read 3644 times)
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 03:40:14 AM

If anyone is concerned about the debt and wishes they could be taxed more to pay it down, here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is: https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/formInstance.html?agencyFormId=23779454. Oh, by the way, it's not tax deductible.

Or, if you want to use your Bitcoins, send them to 1QErZaQBgVrvmQyFvDfZHQR7ed8VvzLdm4. I'll cash them in at Tradehill (removing a .5% transaction fee plus Tradehill's fees) and send that money to the Treasury.

Feel free to post how much you send in either instance.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FlipPro (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 04:31:05 AM

If anyone is concerned about the debt and wishes they could be taxed more to pay it down, here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is: https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/formInstance.html?agencyFormId=23779454. Oh, by the way, it's not tax deductible.

Or, if you want to use your Bitcoins, send them to 1QErZaQBgVrvmQyFvDfZHQR7ed8VvzLdm4. I'll cash them in at Tradehill (removing a .5% transaction fee plus Tradehill's fees) and send that money to the Treasury.

I have no problems paying taxes... I already do so in RL...
JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 09:25:12 PM

I have no problems paying taxes... I already do so in RL...

The problem is those paying at a much lower rate than us, even though they 'make' much more money and actually do much less work.
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 09:38:44 PM

The problem is those paying at a much lower rate than us, even though they 'make' much more money and actually do much less work.

And that is why I support any politician, no matter how distasteful, that supports an across the board flat tax with no deductions.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 10:05:03 PM

It's amazing that you can delude yourself into thinking that while you're paying $1,000 in taxes and I'm paying $100,000 in taxes somehow I'm getting a better deal and do less work than you. Just because I don't dig ditches or flip hamburgers doesn't mean the way I make money is any less work. In fact, if your job is so important, why are you making peanuts? Clearly the world values my labor more than yours, hence the fatter paycheck. If you didn't have people like myself that make most of the money, who would you leech off of?

And that is why I support any politician, no matter how distasteful, that supports an across the board flat tax with no deductions.

Flat tax is a joke. You pay 10% of nothing and I pay 10% of a million dollars. There's nothing fair about that. How about we each pay the same dollar amount, or better yet, pay for the services we actually use?
TheGer

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 10:28:08 PM

Hey maybe you can pay his taxes for him and help out your fellow man ya?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 10:32:08 PM

It's amazing that you can delude yourself into thinking that while you're paying $1,000 in taxes and I'm paying $100,000 in taxes somehow I'm getting a better deal and do less work than you. Just because I don't dig ditches or flip hamburgers doesn't mean the way I make money is any less work. In fact, if your job is so important, why are you making peanuts? Clearly the world values my labor more than yours, hence the fatter paycheck. If you didn't have people like myself that make most of the money, who would you leech off of?

Flat tax is a joke. You pay 10% of nothing and I pay 10% of a million dollars. There's nothing fair about that. How about we each pay the same dollar amount, or better yet, pay for the services we actually use?
A tax based on usage would ensure efficiency and government leanness.  On the downside, it would discourage consumer spending and lower GDP.

Still, it would be a very, very good thing if it were to happen.
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 10:59:19 PM

A tax based on usage would ensure efficiency and government leanness.  On the downside, it would discourage consumer spending and lower GDP.

That is generally called a VAT or sales/use tax. Been happening for years.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 11:06:51 PM

That is generally called a VAT or sales/use tax. Been happening for years.
I mean as a whole for all governmental services though.
JeffK

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 04:22:52 AM

Because you, being a millionaire, who has employees who use public services too, get much more benefit from the public services than someone else? The rich get much more benefits from almost every public service, therefore they should pay more.

I hope to any deity that may exist that you are actually a millionaire, because if not your defense of them and the fact that they almost always pay much less than their share of taxes is pathetic
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 06:11:57 AM

...millionaire, because if not your defense of them and the fact that they almost always pay much less than their share of taxes is pathetic

You have to admit, Bitcoin2cash's comment was consistent. He's not saying he shouldn't pay for his benefit... but pay for the services he actually uses.

I choose not to own a car and resent having to pay for roads I do not use. I acknowledge the indirect benefit (such as transporting goods I buy). If each user of the road were directly taxed, then I would pay for my fair share through higher prices. Perhaps that is less efficient and I will be taxed more...

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 07:35:03 AM

On the topic of this thread:  Darn.  :\  I was hoping they'd run out of money so they would HAVE to start cutting out all the crap that we don't need the government running/giving away.
The Script

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 08:48:29 AM

On the topic of this thread:  Darn.  :\  I was hoping they'd run out of money so they would HAVE to start cutting out all the crap that we don't need the government running/giving away.

You knew it wasn't going to happen.  It's all a giant game of chicken.  Sad   Gary North has some great insight on this:  http://lewrockwell.com/north/north1013.html
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 02:33:24 PM

Because you, being a millionaire, who has employees who use public services too, get much more benefit from the public services than someone else?

I don't have any employees. I only do business with customers directly through my website or with other businesses such as payment processors. Try again.

Even if I did have employees, they use public services whether or not I hire them. In fact, since they aren't on welfare and food stamps, because I gave them a job, they are using less public services. You don't actually have a clue what you're talking about. You haven't done any kind of calculations. You're just pulling these claims out of your ass.

the fact that they almost always pay much less than their share of taxes

Their "share" is only what they've used in services. They don't owe you anything extra. Stop being a leech and support yourself. Newflash: having a few million dollars is not a big deal and it certainly doesn't put me in league with the fantasy rich fatcat robber barrens you've gotten yourself in a frenzy over. I don't take government handouts. I'm not lobby congress to get special favors. I'd be more than happy to pay for what I use but I'm expected to pay many times more than that because of people like you that are simply jealous of success.
Babylon

Activity: 938

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 03:33:07 PM

If the majority of Americans cant get their richest 1% to give up tax cuts by november, they are officially the dumbest people on the planet.

Some tax increases should be included OR stopping the wars.  Killing people 1/2 the world away is expensive.  You need to go after some big ticket items to make the budget even close to balanced. 

Personally I would prefer AND.

I don't think this bill is going to make anything any better, but it is still preferable to a default.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Babylon

Activity: 938

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 03:37:09 PM

I like that last one, pay for the services you use.  The rich can pay for the cops, the courts, and the military.  The corporations can shoulder the lions share of infrastructure.  We should also include the fact that welfare keeps the masses from rioting/stealing, so the rich, who would be the ones hurt by the rioting and stealing can pay for that too.  Hmm, I think that leaves the middle and lower classes with consumer safety boards, a portion of infrastructure, and the FDA.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
JeffK

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 07:18:24 PM

I like that last one, pay for the services you use.  The rich can pay for the cops, the courts, and the military.  The corporations can shoulder the lions share of infrastructure.  We should also include the fact that welfare keeps the masses from rioting/stealing, so the rich, who would be the ones hurt by the rioting and stealing can pay for that too.  Hmm, I think that leaves the middle and lower classes with consumer safety boards, a portion of infrastructure, and the FDA.

^^this was more or less the point I was trying to make, bitcoin2cash. Very few of our public services have the best interests of the lower 99% of the population in mind, therefore they should pay much less for them.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 07:26:46 PM

^^this was more or less the point I was trying to make, bitcoin2cash. Very few of our public services have the best interests of the lower 99% of the population in mind, therefore they should pay much less for them.
I completely disagree.  Poor people need cops and courts and military just as much as rich people do.  I would even argue that poor people need it MORE, as there is more crime (domestic abuse, drug dealing, murder, theft/burglaries, etc) in poor, slummy neighborhoods than there is in rich, upscale neighborhoods.  Just look at any county's emergency call map.

I agree regarding infrastructure - corporations definitely use a large chunk compared to the average consumer.

I don't think welfare is the corporation's responsibility.  That's just rewarding people for being bad, which doesn't make any sense.  Welfare should be eliminated entirely.  If a particular corporation wants to avoid riots from all the evil they are doing in the world  (Roll Eyes), they could fund a charity or start their own soup kitchen.
NghtRppr

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 08:11:39 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2011, 12:34:11 AM by bitcoin2cash

The rich can pay for the cops, the courts, and the military.

Right because you don't use any of that. I forgot about the fact that I get a police escort every time I go to the bank. Oh wait, I don't. If I want any extra security, I have to pay for that.

How many rich neighborhoods have the cops there daily making arrests vs. poor neighborhoods? Many of us live in gated communities with a private guard at the gate. We don't need the cops there.

How many court appearances are by the poor after raping, robbing or driving around drunk, etc vs. the rich? As for the military, I don't see how any of us benefits from murdering people on the other side of the planet. The only thing we need is a coastguard and a few nukes pointed at anyone thinking of launching theirs at us.

We should also include the fact that welfare keeps the masses from rioting/stealing, so the rich, who would be the ones hurt by the rioting and stealing can pay for that too.

So, pay money or get assaulted or stolen from? That's called extortion. If I want extra security, I'll pay for it, just like I already do.

I agree regarding infrastructure - corporations definitely use a large chunk compared to the average consumer.

Like I said, I don't have any employees. My infrastructure consists of a few web servers which I pay for and a computer at home, which I also pay for. Some companies may use a lot of a resources but that doesn't translate to every millionaire being the owner of one of those companies.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 12:13:00 AM

The rich can pay for the cops, the courts, and the military.

Right because you don't use any of that. I forgot about the fact that I get a police escort every time I go to the bank. Oh wait, I don't. If I want any extra security, I have to pay for that.

How many rich neighborhoods have the cops there daily making arrests vs. poor neighborhoods? Many of us live in gated communities with a private guard at the gate. We don't need the cops there.

How many court appearances are by the poor after raping, robbing or driving around drunk, etc vs. the rich? As for the military, I don't see how any of us benefits from murdering people on the other side of the planet. The only think we need is a coast guard and a few nukes pointed at anyone thinking of launching theirs at us.

We should also include the fact that welfare keeps the masses from rioting/stealing, so the rich, who would be the ones hurt by the rioting and stealing can pay for that too.

So, pay money or get assaulted or stolen from? That's called extortion. If I want extra security, I'll pay for it, just like I already do.

Like I said, I don't have any employees. My infrastructure consists of a few web servers which I pay for and a computer at home, which I also pay for. Some companies may use a lot of a resources but that doesn't translate to every millionaire being the owner of one of those companies.
Hey man, I'm on your side.  That was a general statement, but I'm not saying something like, "corporations should all be taxed on infrastructure because they all use it."  More like, "those who use the infrastructure the most should be taxed the most, and that'll likely end up being mostly corporations."
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: