Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:16:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: transaction abuse?  (Read 1392 times)
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 01:06:10 AM

Looking at bitcoinmonitor.com, I am led to believe someone has been running a script, generating large number of transactions among a few clients using ~114 bitcoins.

I guess this can be regarded as a primitive form of DoS attack? does this give him any advantage in terms of collecting transactions and generate new blocks?
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 01:16:52 AM

Not that I know of. Just wasting bandwidth and time haha.
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 01:48:02 AM

I guess this can be regarded as a primitive form of DoS attack? does this give him any advantage in terms of collecting transactions and generate new blocks?

Search the forums for discussion of the MrBurns floods.

Basically, there is a limited amount of free transaction space in each block.  Once filled, transaction fees are usually required if you don't want to wait longer.  See https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees for some details.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 11:59:04 AM

Take a look at the transactions. Each one has exactly two outputs, one of which is 0.05 BTC. So isn't this just the Bitcoin Faucet dispensing coins to the crowd of people who have just arrived from Slashdot?

Incidentally, I was watching these transactions yesterday, and noticed something odd. Every time a block was generated, there was a pause in these transactions.
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 04:46:41 PM

Take a look at the transactions. Each one has exactly two outputs, one of which is 0.05 BTC. So isn't this just the Bitcoin Faucet dispensing coins to the crowd of people who have just arrived from Slashdot?
Looks like it is.

Is that someone abusing the bitcoin faucet?
0.05 US dollars is a lot of money in some areas especially if you automate that or just sit there filling out the captchas.
0.05 X 20 every 10 minutes is a buck. $6 an hour is a good wage in some areas...
Today's transactions looks more random than yesterday, maybe because of the volume and the way transactions are displayed on bitcoinmonitor.com .
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2011, 11:59:51 PM

The Faucet has several abuse prevention features in place.  I'm not going to say what they are because then the 'bad guys' would have a road map for what to do to try to get around them.

They're not 100% foolproof, but they're pretty good.

The steady stream of transactions from the Faucet the last few days IS because of the increased interest due to the security now podcast and slashdot mention.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: