Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:56:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Pick 3 of the most distinguishing features of a scam ICO?  
Team Identity Theft - 23 (24.7%)
Poor Online Presence - 9 (9.7%)
Unrealistic Claims - 15 (16.1%)
Lack Info In WhitePaper - 15 (16.1%)
Token Structure Disproportionately Favours Development Team - 6 (6.5%)
Empty GitHub Repositories - 9 (9.7%)
Unrealistic Claims - 11 (11.8%)
No Escrow Account - 2 (2.2%)
No KYC or AML - 3 (3.2%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the distinguishing features of a scam ICO?  (Read 538 times)
Btcvilla

Activity: 1078
Merit: 270

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 01:39:01 PM

Hey everyone,
Would love to get a show of hands for the most distinguishing features of a scam ICO Huh.

Let's educate each other by picking your 3

-The CoinRating Team

in fact this should of course be based on overall observation. there must be an in-depth study to make a good choice on an ico, even more so to figure out a very potentially scam. so, as a whole you should review it from white paper, roadmap, team and developer even check the official website data especially if the newly registered it is very doubtful.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Igorgnome

Activity: 252
Merit: 10

Power to gnomes!

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 01:56:31 PM

The last point of the survey is very controversial. If I were a fraud, I'd set up a KYC and sell my personal data to get extra benefits. If you are required to provide such a scan of the passport do not do this, because it can be sold in crime. The presence of KYC and the quality of the project are not related.

▰   SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   ▰
■▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬■
Github   -   Discord   -   Twitter   -   Telegram   -   Get Free Airdrop Now!
gilangIDR
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 02:02:58 PM

There seem to be so many Scam ICO around nowdays,

Often they are just projects promising hype and great increases in value, only for the coin to be "In development" for 5+ years and then the developers all to quit.
It is true that the offer usually is very attractive when it is out of the ordinary. Usually ico scam has many dreams, but if seen from the data they have then it does not support. As the easiest benchmark is when we see there is a developer who already has a good reputation then we can trust the ico project. I usually see from the team that developed the project. For a beginner then I recommend to read a lot, because now it is a lot of ico that ends with a scam. So look for as much information as possible because it will be very helpful to make an important decision in the investment that is undertaken.
DikkieD

Activity: 560
Merit: 22

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 08:33:21 AM

I think these are all way too obvious. No clever conman will forget these things when preparing the ultimate con. That said, I think people call ICO's scams way too often and way too quick. If value drops below 2 times ICO value, half of the investors are screaming 'scam'. If milestones aren't met: Scam. No activity in Telegram chat for 1 hour: Scam. One of the items from the list missing: Scam....only a handful are actual scams, where the main goal was to steal peoples money as subtle and quickly as possible. I never fell victim to one so far (knock on wood).
hotBriX001

Activity: 224
Merit: 6

The revolutionary trading ecosystem

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2018, 09:24:40 PM

There seem to be so many Scam ICO around nowdays,

Often they are just projects promising hype and great increases in value, only for the coin to be "In development" for 5+ years and then the developers all to quit.

Yes, this is sometimes happen to a scam ICO. Their coin are very cheap when arrived to the marketplace that makes disappointment to the investors and decide to quit investment. In addition also their coins are slowly in development and getting worst in terms of value in the long run.

▬▬ ● ● Destream Fine Ecosystem for STREAMERS ● ● ▬▬
▬▬ ● ● STREAMER'S FINANCIAL ECOSYSTEM ● ● ▬▬
Danica22

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

Free crypto every day here: discord.gg/pXB9nuZ

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 09:38:34 PM

For me, team is one of my way to distinguish if the ICO is a scam. There's a lot of ICOs who run their crowdsale and their team is all fake that is disgusting. Second if the project concept is realistic or in short if the project is to good to be true. Third, unrealistic claims false information they were given to the people in order to gather more investor. I hate those scammers who don't have a heart to steal money from the others.

Tanya78

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:23:55 PM

This can be harder to detect as there are no regulations regarding who can or can not hold an ICO. Just because a business is poorly presented online does not make it a scam, more importantly just because it looks good and established online does not make it a real organisation.
Perfect35

Activity: 854

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:38:48 PM

There are two major things i look out for when participating in any project. Out of the two is the team. Team is a very important aspect of every ICO project and many a times, thorough investigation . There are times that some of these scam ICO projects use the pictures of outsiders to their project as team members.
itsik78

Activity: 462

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:45:47 PM

1-Poor Online Presence 2-Lack Info In WhitePaper. 3-Token Structure Disproportionately Favours Development Team.I think these are the most important points to be paid attention to when choosing ICO
yeeyeyaya

Activity: 224
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:54:13 PM

I think we can tell the three most distinguishing features of ICO fraud by looking at Identity theft team, Unrealistic Claims, Lack of Info At WhitePaper.
Daseento

Activity: 206
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 10:05:46 PM

I really don't like ICO without working projects already, for example, if it's involve an application, I would want to see that actions have been taking towards developing the app or even more preferable if the app is already in beta stage. Then I would be convinced that they mean business. Little or no commitment at all on the part of the team is a huge red flag for me.
Psynthax

Activity: 2268
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 10:11:03 PM

The last point of the survey is very controversial. If I were a fraud, I'd set up a KYC and sell my personal data to get extra benefits. If you are required to provide such a scan of the passport do not do this, because it can be sold in crime. The presence of KYC and the quality of the project are not related.
But the majority of icos are implementing KYC verification to complete the compliants from the regulators. Man you should remember about not all of icos are applying it to the participants are scam icos.
KYC doesn't give a lot of impact to the quality of project itself.
AMdemzzy072

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 10:13:13 PM

Team Identity Theft, Lack Info In Whitepaper and unrealistic Claims are the key features to distinguish a scam ico. Beware of these three things if you want to invest in any ico
Huskarls

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 10:19:31 PM

Hey everyone,
Would love to get a show of hands for the most distinguishing features of a scam ICO Huh.

-The CoinRating Team

Lack info in Whitepaper is the most easy to track scam ICO, usually they noted the unimportant things into the whitepaper and dismiss what should be in the whitepaper. Also, when we asking in the group, they usually they give an information different from their whitepaper
Fedrey

Activity: 644

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 10:31:00 PM

Hey everyone,

-The CoinRating Team

Lack info in Whitepaper is the most easy to track scam ICO, usually they noted the unimportant things into the whitepaper and dismiss what should be in the whitepaper. Also, when we asking in the group, they usually they give an information different from their whitepaper
I think that fraudsters in the sphere of his companies are already becoming professionals in their field of activity. Therefore, they will do everything to deceive us investors. So the usual errors or lack of information will not do.
TheCrimsonFucker

Activity: 617
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 10:57:53 PM

Analyzing the issue in a way other than the ones mentioned, in my opinion the salient feature of a scam is the level of promises in the news media. With this type of positioning the developers end up promising investors too much in a short period of time, causing inconvenience for both parties by making possible a scam.
davidsmq

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 06:16:02 PM

There are a lot of indicators actually if you look at only one or there exists only one it’s a good move not to invest in that ico regardless of how attractive it may seem, it could be the team which does not contain all the technical members aligning with their promised technologies.
mr.creampie

Activity: 44

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 06:20:07 PM

Team Identity Theft   
Poor Online Presence   
Lack Info In WhitePaper   
Empty GitHub Repositories
No KYC or AML

These are the basic things you should be checking if you are planning to join these ICOs,or if you want to get these shitcoins because if there are pointers you have missed you might lose all of your investments.ICOs nowadays are getting more scammy compare to the previous years which is why we need to be more careful and be vigillant in picking these new projects.
valek.bruno

Activity: 728
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 06:26:03 PM

It seems to me that lately it has become very difficult to determine the real benches, because the scammers have learned very much how to work with information and how to correctly provide information about the project. Now this is a problem.
Glen1989

Activity: 139
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 06:36:13 PM

I first of all pay attention to White Paper . If it is not-then I do not even consider the project further, but go further . The lack of information in White paper is the easiest and fastest analysis
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: