Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:31:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitbills used mybitcoin.  (Read 2722 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 07:36:59 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2011, 04:33:28 AM by julz

I've just discovered, by looking at the new notice on the bitbills.com home page, that they were using mybitcoin for their transactions.

This annoys the hell out of me.  I saw the various concerns/issues people were having with mybitcoin - and chose not to use the service.
I don't recall seeing any indication that mybitcoin was an intermediary when purchasing my bitbills.

I really hope the delay in my order is not due to this - as I ordered a couple of weeks ago.

As far as I'm concerned - my purchase was directly with bitbills - and I consider it their responsibility to provide me with a BTC deposit address that they have control over.
Once the blockchain has reported my deposit to the address they supplied - then I've fulfilled my part of the transaction with them.

It seems the flow-on effects from this mybitcoin fiasco may be larger than I first expected.

Angry

EDIT: As far as I can tell, this is little more than an inconvenience for BitBills - and once they have their new ordering solution in place it's business as usual. My order came through just fine Smiley

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 07:42:17 AM

Too bad Bitbills doesn't have a CreditCard-like card instead of throw-away cards. I was going to buy a few.

llama

Activity: 103
Merit: 61

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 08:43:56 PM

We did use mybitcoin for payment processing, and only payment processing. Fortunately, we withdraw most transactions almost immediately, so we had only a trivial balance on mybitcoin when they closed up shop.

Orders have been paused while we setup our own, in-house payment processing. We realize this is the safest solution moving forward.

All orders will ship out as expected. Orders for just Bitbills are still generally shipping within 3 days. Orders with bank cards included are backlogged slightly as we scale production, but should be shipping out by Friday.

Please email us if you have any questions about your individual order, and feel free to post any general questions in this thread!

ensign_lee

Activity: 886

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 08:53:32 PM

We did use mybitcoin for payment processing, and only payment processing. Fortunately, we withdraw most transactions almost immediately, so we had only a trivial balance on mybitcoin when they closed up shop.

Orders have been paused while we setup our own, in-house payment processing. We realize this is the safest solution moving forward.

All orders will ship out as expected. Orders for just Bitbills are still generally shipping within 3 days. Orders with bank cards included are backlogged slightly as we scale production, but should be shipping out by Friday.

Please email us if you have any questions about your individual order, and feel free to post any general questions in this thread!

Pretty professional, and a great way to communicate and deal with the situation. Thumbs up from me.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
NothinG

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 08:54:58 PM

Any thought in making a dynamic card (like a Debit Card)?

CydeWeys

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 09:17:16 PM

Wow, see, that's actually the way to handle complaints.

Not like the way MyBitcoin has been silent for the past three days.  But I'm sure they're just having technical difficulties  Roll Eyes
NothinG

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 09:24:51 PM

But I'm sure they're just having technical difficulties  Roll Eyes
And I'm a potato...

elements

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 09:33:57 PM

Actually I find it pretty bold to use mybitcoin for a business (I can't help it: not to say plain stupid!!!)

BUT I most certainly like the way you responded and am glad that you only lost an insignificant amount.

Would be a PITA if after all the fiascos of the last weeks BitBill was out of biz, too.

I am looking forward to my first BB experience Wink

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
NothinG

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 05:18:29 PM

Before anyone else starts ANOTHER thread about this, please realize that the UABB is already spearheading a legal and unbiased investigation into MyBitcoin.com but needs your support. Discussion about MyBitcoin.com is very healthy for the sharing of ideas and suggestions on how to tackle this very serious and difficult problem, but nothing will be done about it through forum posts.

Please start contributing to the actual investigation by adding your affidavit, attaching evidence of funds lost, and contributing to the fund to pay for international investigators. Thank you.

http://uabci.org/redmine/projects/mbci

I'd rather not share my First & Last name on your site =)

BillX

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 05:22:06 PM

Before anyone else starts ANOTHER thread about this, please realize that the UABB is already spearheading a legal and unbiased investigation into MyBitcoin.com but needs your support. Discussion about MyBitcoin.com is very healthy for the sharing of ideas and suggestions on how to tackle this very serious and difficult problem, but nothing will be done about it through forum posts.

Please start contributing to the actual investigation by adding your affidavit, attaching evidence of funds lost, and contributing to the fund to pay for international investigators. Thank you.

http://uabci.org/redmine/projects/mbci

Nice try to make a money grab out of this.
NothinG

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 05:27:18 PM

I don't see it.

BillX

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 05:37:14 PM

I don't see it.

Neither do I. Nice try in uneducated, arm-chair judgements.

Read the site if you want to know what happens to the funds and why we are not currently accepting any from the community.
ummm   "and contributing to the fund to pay for international investigators. Thank you."

Pull the other leg. Don't try to profit off of others misery.
NothinG

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 05:43:57 PM

Obviously trust is not your issue-- you are apparently against the principle of gathering information and getting people united for a cause, and equally ignorant of the fees involved.

Please spend another 10 or so years in the real world and comment when you have figured out that the only logical conclusion to the MyBitcoin fiasco is to do exactly what it is I am already doing.

Thanks.
Can you remove the First & Last name?
I wouldn't mind contributing content to help.

NothinG

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 05:50:42 PM

Obviously trust is not your issue-- you are apparently against the principle of gathering information and getting people united for a cause, and equally ignorant of the fees involved.

Please spend another 10 or so years in the real world and comment when you have figured out that the only logical conclusion to the MyBitcoin fiasco is to do exactly what it is I am already doing.

Thanks.
Can you remove the First & Last name?
I wouldn't mind contributing content to help.

Oh, sorry, I didn't catch your request the first time.

Can you PM me your username and I'll edit your profile.

NothinG
Tongue

Anyways, I registered but I never got an email.

maltaethiron

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 06:41:30 PM

I second the question about the debit card.  Something like that would really interest me.
llama

Activity: 103
Merit: 61

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 04:10:46 AM

I second the question about the debit card.  Something like that would really interest me.
So right now we have:
  • Bitbills - Allow people to trade bitcoins between each other offline, without trusting the other party. Also doesn't not require time to verify.
  • Bank Cards - The safest way to store bitcoins. Lets you take your bitcoins offline, so they're as safe as the location you keep it.
  • Payee Cards - Right now, only available with bank cards (bundled for free). Have a QR and text form of the address, so anyone can send bitcoins to your safe bank card.

Things we are working on:
  • Trustless Bank Cards - Same as usual bank cards, but require zero trust!
  • Point of Sale solutions - Details aren't final, so we aren't saying much now. We have some very cool plans here.

We're also making a ton of progress on software, our website, new Bitbills denominations, and other non-product things, so stay tuned!

Astro

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 07:42:43 AM

So I assume that everyone who ordered a bank card and/or bitbills before August should just write off their order and consider those coins lost?  Bitbills isn't responding to emails and doesn't appear to be filling orders.

Chalk up another failed/corrupt bitcoin business.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: