Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:25:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "New address for each payment" is a logic bomb  (Read 9136 times)
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:18:00 PM

I agree that public address should be a 256bit hash, too.
Why?
256 bit ECDSA only provides 128 bit security
160 bit pubkey hash provides 160 bit security.
What would making the pubkeyhash larger accomplish other than bloating the blockchain?
Probably because I don't have a clue, and am just on the verge of trying to understand? Grin
I don't see why a 256bit private key being transformed into a 160bit hash would not lose entropy, but I'll lurk more and quit bothering you with my newbie statements!

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:18:28 PM

160 bit pubkey hash provides 160 bit security.

R u sure? I was thinking that 160-bit hash provides 80-bit security.

Only against a collision between two random (and essentially 100% chance unused) keys.  Against an preimage attack the security of any unbroken hash of length n is always 2^n.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preimage_attack
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:19:21 PM

I have to say my response to the subject line is "No it isn't."

The person putting the affirmative statement on the table has the obligation actually to prove it.  My guess is you can't.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:21:43 PM

The person putting the affirmative statement on the table has the obligation actually to prove it.  My guess is you can't.

Math related to birthday paradox was provided in the OP. The rest is just a plain common sense. U guessed right coz it's very hard to prove obvious things.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 08:22:40 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2013, 11:57:29 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Probably because I don't have a clue, and am just on the verge of trying to understand? Grin

Nothing wrong with learning.   Asymtric encryption never has a strength equal to its key size.  The public and private keys are related mathematically and the mathematical properties which make asymmetric encryption possible also allow more intelligent attacks then simply trying private keys until you find a collision.  ECDSA is actually pretty efficient where key strength of 2^(n/2) is possible for key length of 2^n.  Other methods like RSA require much larger key sizes for the same key strength, 128 bit security using RSA for example requires 2048 bit keys.

A 256 bit ECDSA key despite having 256 bits only provides 128 bits of security.  In other words to send the coins for a known address/pubkey and unknown private key requires either:
a) find another private key which produces the same PubKey.   On average this will require 2^128 attempts.
OR
b) find another PubKey which produces the same PubKeyHash.  On average this will require 2^160 attempts.

If the PubKey is unknown then only B is possible and security improves to 160 bit security.  This is why is is recommended you not reuse addresses.  It provides a secondary line of defense in the event method "a" ever becomes viable.

Security of a system comes from the weakest link and for Bitcoin that means 128 bit security.  Making the other links stronger won't improve security.  
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 11:34:12 PM

R u sure? I was thinking that 160-bit hash provides 80-bit security.
You're not worried about someone compromising their own key or someone else's key. You're worried about someone compromising *your* key.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
niniyo

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 12:59:12 AM

The original discussion was about being able to find 2 keypairs which form the same bitcoin address in 2^80 attempts on average.  Assuming someone has the resources to do this, what is the advantage for them?  I can't think of anything they could do to take advantage of this?

Also to perform the attack, I'm thinking you'd need to store at least 52 bytes per address (32-byte private key and 20-byte pubkey hash).  This is 52 Yottabytes of data!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:00:41 AM

The original discussion was about being able to find 2 keypairs which form the same bitcoin address in 2^80 attempts on average.  Assuming someone has the resources to do this, what is the advantage for them?  I can't think of anything they could do to take advantage of this?

Also to perform the attack, I'm thinking you'd need to store at least 52 bytes per address (32-byte private key and 20-byte pubkey hash).  This is 52 Yottabytes of data!

Nothing.  The OP claim is they could do this at massive expense to spend coins from an address using two different pubkeys and that would be a negative PR for Bitcoin.

I am doubtful how much of an effect it would have and if anything people would be a repeat (or thousands of repeats) which wouldn't occur and it would be chalked up to incredibly bad luck.  Still anyone with the resources to do this could 51% the network which is an "easier", cheaper and far more direct attack.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:04:52 AM

The original discussion was about being able to find 2 keypairs which form the same bitcoin address in 2^80 attempts on average.  Assuming someone has the resources to do this, what is the advantage for them?  I can't think of anything they could do to take advantage of this?

Also to perform the attack, I'm thinking you'd need to store at least 52 bytes per address (32-byte private key and 20-byte pubkey hash).  This is 52 Yottabytes of data!

Nothing.  The OP claim is they could do this at massive expense to spend coins from an address using two different pubkeys and that would be a negative PR for Bitcoin.

I am doubtful how much of an effect it would have and if anything people would be a repeat (or thousands of repeats) which wouldn't occur and it would be chalked up to incredibly bad luck.  Still anyone with the resources to do this could 51% the network which is an "easier", cheaper and far more direct attack.

He can't spend coins from them, all he could find are two hash-collision pubkeys.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
FreakNet

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:26:43 AM

My thoughts on this are that a collision will occur in about 10 years. The question that lies is will that collision be one of the biggest bitcoin wallets or a wallet with very little bitcoins.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:28:23 AM

Nothing.  The OP claim is they could do this at massive expense to spend coins from an address using two different pubkeys and that would be a negative PR for Bitcoin.

I am doubtful how much of an effect it would have and if anything people would be a repeat (or thousands of repeats) which wouldn't occur and it would be chalked up to incredibly bad luck.  Still anyone with the resources to do this could 51% the network which is an "easier", cheaper and far more direct attack.

He can't spend coins from them, all he could find are two hash-collision pubkeys.

Well that is the point the "attacker" (and yes this would be most expensive and stupidest possible attack on Bitcoin) could find a pair of pubkeys which hash to the same pubkeyhash, then send coins to that address, and then spend those coins with both pubkeys. 

Generally speaking this is something that shouldn't be possible and it may be a small loss of confidence as it would be publicly visible to anyone on the blockchain.  It would be good for a FUD campaign "see Bitcoin is broken" and that is the OP contention.   However the MASSSIVE expenditure required to perform this "attack" combined with the limited effect makes it dubious.   A single instance would quickly be dismissed as incredibly unlikely random chance.  To replicate the attack and make it appear that Bitcoin was compromised would require finding hundreds or thousands of pairs of pubkeys which share a pubkeyhash so the entire attack cost would have to be increased by a factor of 100x or 1000x.  At this point you are taking more computing power and energy than what is required to 99.9% attack the Bitcoin network.

So no there is no utility in this "attack" but it is technically incorrect to say coins couldn't be spent.  They would be the attackers own coins but they could be spent by either (or more like both) pubkeys which hash to the same pubkeyhash.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:29:55 AM

Math related to birthday paradox was provided in the OP. The rest is just a plain common sense. U guessed right coz it's very hard to prove obvious things.

Birthday paradox my ass.  I had already noted and ignored that.  It will probably be a meaningless dust transaction if you've looked at the blockchain lately. Even if it does happen.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:34:12 AM

The person putting the affirmative statement on the table has the obligation actually to prove it.  My guess is you can't.

Birthday paradox my ass.  I had already noted and ignored that.  It will probably be a meaningless dust transaction if you've looked at the blockchain lately. Even if it does happen.

It is far more likely (as in thousands of quadrillions to one) that any match would be unused addresses.   The used active addresses space is ~11M addresses.  2^80 is 109,902,347,237,693,561x larger.

So after an utterly asinine amount of time, energy, and cost if/when a pair of pubkeys which produce the samepubkeyhash were found it is 99.99999999999999999% likely the two pubkeys would be ones created by the attacker and be empty.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 03:40:54 AM

My thoughts on this are that a collision will occur in about 10 years. The question that lies is will that collision be one of the biggest bitcoin wallets or a wallet with very little bitcoins.

You base this on what magic?

Do you understand how large even 2^80 is?

If a billion people produces a thousand addresses per second for the next 1000 years the odds of a collision are 1 in 260,000.

Of course even that understates the chance because regardless of how many new addresses are used only a finite number of addresses can be funded.  The absolute max number of funded addresses is 2.1 quadrillion and that would be all addresses contain a single satoshi each.  The actual number of addresses is likely to be much much much lower but that provides an absolute upper bound.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:16:56 AM

I think the math works out that there's more Bitcoin addresses than there are atoms in the universe.  Basically, it's been talked about many times, and it's nothing to worry about.

True, BUT there is still the possibility of a collision!

It's also possible for me to win the lottery without even playing. But, do you think it will happen?
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:37:20 AM

Do you understand how large even 2^80 is?

Bitcoin network hashrate is 5*10^15 ~ 2^52. So in 2^28 seconds (8 years) we'll reach this number. Doesn't look too large. And this is without the Moore's law.
cscape

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:50:49 AM

Bitcoin network hashrate is 5*10^15 ~ 2^52. So in 2^28 seconds (8 years) we'll reach this number. Doesn't look too large. And this is without the Moore's law.

It's also without consideration that mining hardware cannot be used for finding duplicates.

Happy with your c-scape product ? Consider a tip: 16X2FWVRz6UzPWsu4WjKBMJatR7UvyKzcy
flynn

Activity: 728
Merit: 540

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:58:17 AM

So, you made your point, maybe somewhere sometime someone will get an account that belongs to someone else, probably getting 0.01 BTC free
All right.

No system is perfect. Abstractions do leak. Everyday people make mistakes and loose bitcoin accounts, or send money to the wrong account or have their computer hacked and get robbed from their btc accounts.

So What ?  1 error over tens of millions transactions should make the complete system unusable ? nope. It's a fairly good reliability. Far more reliable than any other banks.

intentionally left blank
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:00:52 AM

It's also without consideration that mining hardware cannot be used for finding duplicates.

That was an assessment.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 11:02:09 AM

So, you made your point, maybe somewhere sometime someone will get an account that belongs to someone else, probably getting 0.01 BTC free
All right.

U could read the OP at least before replying...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: