Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:19:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Energy now available in the UK. Wooohoooo.  (Read 3312 times)
tritium

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 03:55:15 PM

The UK energy suppliers are now charging everyone more for the energy they use to cover the costs of the tariffs which the UK Government have required they pay - without such tariffs everyone would be paying less for the energy they use.

Is this correct? Have you in the UK seen this increase in electricity cost since the introduction of the FIT scheme?

I would have thought that the scheme would disallow the power companies raising prices to compensate, it does seem very unfair... but in another way its also even more incentive to become a part of the scheme.

I don't think it is these tarriffs that have caused the prices to go up, its the governments mandate that x% of enery generation has to be from renewable sources which are mainly wind farms. I don't remember where I read it but the per unit cost of electricity from those wind farms is something like 5 times as much as those from coal power plants, so it does raise prices.

They need to stick a few more nuke plants in this country, that should help the long term price of it

1FCzN34C1xCLsDaLxfY7yB5CQKN74ruGHV

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheBitMan

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 03:56:18 PM

I say wind turbines where it is windy  Roll Eyes
And solar panels in good weather  Roll Eyes
tritium

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 03:58:14 PM

In Manchester we have over 50 different words for rain.
We need rain power! Sun is for southerners. We laugh at you and your southern pansy sunshine.

you could use a piezoelectric material to produce electricity from the force of the rain hitting it, although the forces would be pretty tiny and I wouldn't think anything would be efficient enough to get much if anything worthwhile.

1FCzN34C1xCLsDaLxfY7yB5CQKN74ruGHV
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:03:35 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/sep/13/rebeccaallison

From 2002 - it was a big year for news about rain Manchester in 2002.
I'm currently in Shanghai China, and its 30 degrees and it's midnight, but I can tell you without hesitation, it raining in Manchester (haven't you listened to The Smiths?)
dancupid

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:04:49 PM

We need rain power! Sun is for southerners. We laugh at you and your southern pansy sunshine.

you could use a piezoelectric material to produce electricity from the force of the rain hitting it, although the forces would be pretty tiny and I wouldn't think anything would be efficient enough to get much if anything worthwhile.

Actually is mainly drizzle in Manchester - it wets you with no force at all.
TheBitMan

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:05:32 PM

What's the "Smiths?"
dancupid

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:11:29 PM

What's the "Smiths?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiths

'The Smiths were an English alternative rock band, formed in Manchester in 1982. Based on the song writing partnership of Morrissey (vocals) and Johnny Marr (guitar), the band also included Andy Rourke (bass) and Mike Joyce (drums). Critics have called them the most important alternative rock band to emerge from the British independent music scene of the 1980s.' Wikipedia

(that's right, some random person on Wikipedia called them the most important group from the 80's and even took the time to back it up with real links to real sources)
TheBitMan

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:13:33 PM

What's the "Smiths?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiths

'The Smiths were an English alternative rock band, formed in Manchester in 1982. Based on the song writing partnership of Morrissey (vocals) and Johnny Marr (guitar), the band also included Andy Rourke (bass) and Mike Joyce (drums). Critics have called them the most important alternative rock band to emerge from the British independent music scene of the 1980s.' Wikipedia

(that's right, some random person on Wikipedia called them the most important group from the 80's and even took the time to back it up with real links to real sources)
lol gotcha
mushy99999 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:38:27 PM

Im from Manchester too, however the energy stats reckon that Manchester is still good for cutting your energy bill in half as a minimum on a medium sized house.
mushy99999 (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:43:57 PM

Nah, I looked into trubines a while back and well.....they're a rubbish solution.

1.) You need planning permission to install them.
2.) The consumer ones are noisy and produce next to no energy compared to solar.
3.) The heavy duty ones are big and expensive and will not be allowed in a residential area.
4.) Can be dangerous as the blades have a tendency to go flying off (rarely but still happens sometimes)

The other way is to use a Fresnel lens to convert water to steam and get that to turn a turbine, but not very economical yet and noisy too.

Solar is the only viable consumer solution at the moment. Turbines are best installed in farms. If there is a river near your house you even cant put a wheel in. Not allowed.
mushy99999 (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:45:45 PM

They are trying to do this in some countries on the motorways (ie. tyres hitting strips) but then they realised that this wears out tyres and the energy needed to replace was more that that gained. Cost the government less though and the end user more. So a small shift of wealth. lol
mushy99999 (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:47:10 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/sep/13/rebeccaallison

From 2002 - it was a big year for news about rain Manchester in 2002.
I'm currently in Shanghai China, and its 30 degrees and it's midnight, but I can tell you without hesitation, it raining in Manchester (haven't you listened to The Smiths?)

It's been sunny here for the last week or so. Rained for 5 minutes yesterday but was hot just like today. Very hot and humid right now.
dancupid

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:50:14 PM

Which bit of Manchester? I should have been more specific - it's definitely raining in Ardwick.
mushy99999 (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:53:54 PM

Which bit of Manchester? I should have been more specific - it's definitely raining in Ardwick.

Sunny Sale. :-)
dancupid

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:59:10 PM

Well Sale is almost Cheshire, so of course down south in Sale you're going to get a lot more sun. My Mum's in Warrington, and she tells me it's like the South of France down there at the moment.
mushy99999 (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 05:01:44 PM

Well Sale is almost Cheshire, so of course down south in Sale you're going to get a lot more sun. My Mum's in Warrington, and she tells me it's like the South of France down there at the moment.

Hahahaha I suppose so but Ardwick is only about 7 miles away? It's really hot here. Can't sleep in this heat. In Warrington it's even worse. lol
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 06:05:30 PM

Those two are good options, as well as growing feed stock (corn) for conversion into fuel. My government (US) must of did the math on this, otherwise they wouldn't be pushing it so hard to make it viable. Now only if my government would quit lying to me about UFO's not being real.

Bitcoin: One Step Beyond
indicasteve

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 04:00:40 AM

How about heating your house with a Microsoft "datacenter" furnace?

"A team of Microsoft and academic researchers has come up with a proposal for using cloud computing not as an energy drain, but as a source of country-wide energy savings by turning cloudy servers into home and office furnaces."
"We propose to replace electric resistive heating elements with silicon heating elements," is the key to their vision, "thereby reducing societal energy footprint by using electricity for heating to also perform computation."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/28/microsoft_cloudy_home_heating_idea/

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
timmey

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 03:23:23 PM

How about Hydraulic Hydro Energy Storage?
It's basically a giant Hydraulic Cylinder made of rock with like 1KM in diameter. Solar and wind power peaks (which currently can't be saved and instead get burned by routing the power output across the european energy grid) would be used to pump water into the cylinder. If the power grid needs more energy, you would just open the drains and the solid rock would press out the water with an insane pressure through turbines:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5455/storagedevice.jpg
http://eduard-heindl.de/energy-storage/energy-storage-system.html

He's a german university professor, so he's maybe crazy but not dumb:
http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/heindl-958931-hydraulic-energy-store-system/
The presentation is pretty long but also interesting and covers a lot of questions (like how to build it, can it be done with today's technology, physics behind it...). It's an interesting idea at least...
staraptor

Activity: 45

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 10:44:28 PM

The Government generates no wealth whatsoever.

It is funded 100% through taxation - either direct taxation of the wealth of individuals or the indirect taxation of the wealth of individuals by the taxation of private sector businesses - which increases the price individuals have to pay for goods and services. In this specific case, the UK energy suppliers are now charging everyone more for the energy they use to cover the costs of the tariffs which the UK Government have required they pay - without such tariffs everyone would be paying less for the energy they use.

Anything you get "free" from the government has been paid for through taxation of individuals.

Thus, this is merely a tax rebate for those fortunate enough to be in the position to install solar power generation equipment - owners of land - specifically those with buildings that have south facing roofs.

It is distributing wealth away from the poor to the rich.

That said, I currently support the move away from a reliance on fossil fuels for energy generation.

Testimonial..

"Given that the income is tax-free, the return on £14,000 investment is equivalent to 12.9% for a 50% tax-payer and 10.3% for a 40% tax-payer, with the investment recouped in as little as seven years. As the payments are linked to RPI, this equates to a real return of 18.2% and 15.6% respectively at today’s RPI rate of 5.3%"

You have to pay, but the government pays you back over the years..which makes them FREE

Nope, on this one you don't have to pay. They give you the option of them putting up the up-front costs so long as you have a south facing roof. The only thing is that you don't own the solar panels, they do. And they collect the cheque, however you get the electricity benefit and no maintenance costs or installation costs etc,......

A VERY good idea me thinks :-)

ok, so how do we move wealth from the rich to the poor
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: