Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:41:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning up Altcoin Discussion  (Read 169 times)
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 01:01:29 PM

A while back Theymos made a thread about cleaning up Politics & Society, which was a very good call IMO.

Another section that is in desperate need of a thorough clean-up would be 'Altcoin Discussion'.
Most of the threads there would basically need to get moved to 'Speculation (Altcoins)'.

Why?
Description of 'Speculation (Altcoins)' in the Unofficial list of (official) Bitcointalk.org rules, guidelines, FAQ
Speculation (Altcoins) - Discussion about altcoin prices. This includes discussion about portfolios ("what altcoins are you holding?"), price predictions ("is coin X going to reach 10$ next week?" or "why is this coin's price so low?") and general speculation ("are the altcoin markets crashing?").

I'd say that most of the threads in Altcoin Discussion are actually speculation threads or topics related to asking about people's portfolio.

I'm personally going to spend some time reporting the threads that need to be either moved to another section or threads that are just of low quality.
Maybe some other members can join the effort. It's time for a good spring cleaning, so if you live in the northern hemisphere, now is the perfect time for that! Wink

Just a screenshot to illustrate my point (please don't quote the image):

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
max2607

Activity: 135
Merit: 22

Need a nice avatar, can someone help :-)

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 01:10:26 PM

The whole forum needs a clean up you think people are only spamming in altcoin or politics
I think we should take the initiative to clean up all the sections all admin has to do is have active moderators which most of them instead of quoting the post and taking screenshot spend a little extra time and report them.
I'm completely aware reporting doesn't add up to your signature campaign and making posts like these does but wr seriously don't need members making different threads that this section has spam theymos should do something

Edit : After seeing your post history i understood why you only referred the altcoin section to be cleared  Roll Eyes
Reference :
If it's such a problem and cause of stress, I would just stop checking the price altogether.
There's a better option in that case, if you still don't want to miss major price drops or increases. You should find yourself a good customizable alert app that warns you when the price goes under or over a certain level.

Here's an open source one that will either send you an e-mail or a text:
https://coinwink.com/
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 01:16:20 PM

The whole forum needs a clean up you think people are only spamming in altcoin or politics
I think we should take the initiative to clean up all the sections all admin has to do is have active moderators which most of them instead of quoting the post and taking screenshot spend a little extra time and report them.
I'm completely aware reporting doesn't add up to your signature campaign and making posts like these does but wr seriously don't need members making different threads that this section has spam theymos should do something

Well, I am reporting those threads and I do agree that the whole forum needs a clean up.

But I think it's a good idea to tackle each section separately and focus on cleaning up those massive threads that have been around for a while.
With just a few members helping out with reporting, I think we can make a difference.

FYI: Posting in the meta section doesn't earn me any rewards in my signature campaign, I do not get paid for posting here.

Edit:

Edit : After seeing your post history i understood why you only referred the altcoin section to be cleared  Roll Eyes
Reference :
If it's such a problem and cause of stress, I would just stop checking the price altogether.
There's a better option in that case, if you still don't want to miss major price drops or increases. You should find yourself a good customizable alert app that warns you when the price goes under or over a certain level.

Here's an open source one that will either send you an e-mail or a text:
https://coinwink.com/

I do not see anything wrong with that response, it was a direct solution to OP's problem and no-one had suggested a solution like this in that particular thread.
Plus, I don't mind promoting a handy open-source app.

digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 01:33:30 PM

There is only one moderator working on 5 different boards. he could only handle the reports if there are any. forum members should compete on reporting garbage posts and become a moderator. you could get $2500 per month as a moderator and if the forum earns more, you'd get more.

🖤😏
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 01:40:25 PM

There is only one moderator working on 5 different boards. he could only handle the reports if there are any. forum members should compete on reporting garbage posts and become a moderator. you could get $2500 per month as a moderator and if the forum earns more, you'd get more.

Yeah that's a pretty good concern you mention, I do wonder if mprep could handle an increase in reports.
The whole altcoin section could really use another moderator. At the current pace, this seems impossible to handle by just one person.

Tiigon

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 01:44:20 PM

It seems that it is very difficult to clean, because so many people are discussing the forum, want from Brand rank, Newbie etc, they all gather and discuss about altcoin price or altcoin development, but indeed even if it is just a question but it is very important for the new one Smiley Thanks

SCAVO  Technologies
SELF-SUSTAINING CRYPTO MINING FARM  BY USING RENEWABLE ENERGY RESOURCES - LIFETIME CONTRACT
────────  Whitepaper ⬝  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Ann Thread     ───────  Join our ICO:  July. 15- Oct. 31
max2607

Activity: 135
Merit: 22

Need a nice avatar, can someone help :-)

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 01:45:32 PM
Merited by eternalgloom (1)

-snip-
Yeah well sorry i was just pissed with all these posts being posted again and again for the sake of signature campaign but you wete right

Posts in off-topic, meta, Politics & Society, Beginners & Help, Archival and Local forums

And yes just keep reporting posting here wouldn't make much of difference

It seems that it is very difficult to clean, because so many people are discussing the forum, want from Brand rank, Newbie etc, they all gather and discuss about altcoin price or altcoin development, but indeed even if it is just a question but it is very important for the new one Smiley Thanks
You are right but we surely have sufficient members on this forum who can report (if they want) whenver you are online spend some time and report if everyone starts doing this it will have a huge impact, I'm not saying to report 100 posts 5 posts daily by every member is enough as 'digaran' said the only problem is amount of moderators should be increased
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 01:54:38 PM

@max

I appreciate your honesty!

I know it's very frustrating to see the same stuff over and over again in the meta section.
Maybe I shouldn't have made this thread, but on the other hand I still think it's good to focus on one section at a time. Just to clean up all the 'legacy' crap that's been around for a while.

Check out this thread Theymos made: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3292413.0

It shows that there aren't that many people who report stuff (at least in P & S), so a little call to arms might have some benefits ;-)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: