Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:25:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICminer Blade prices  (Read 2580 times)
xzempt

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:38:57 AM

love those hp psu's that plug into backplane!   makes it so easy!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pjviitas

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:53:11 AM

how do you figure the cube is a better deal?    you have to buy power supplies for them....  when if you have open slots on the backplane  just pop 10.7ghs in and go!

Confused? Blades don't need a power supply?

If'n you were sophisticated you could steal the 12V from the empty backplane, but 12V is pretty cheap at these wattages isn't it?

One thing I will say... the HP power supply for the backplane is $30 and it's rock-solid. Funny thing is people are paying over $100 for them on Ebay, meanwhile Amazon has a ton available for $30. Ebay seems like it is full of people praying on newbies though. Anyways, my average blade cost is $300 across 5 total, which at these levels I'm okay with; just wish I could get a few more for the empty backplane slots.

Once the Bitcoin_price/difficulty ratio gets down to $0.0000005 I think you will see the price of hardware come down considerably.

This will allow you to scoop up some hardware for a good price and when Bitcoin goes back up your mining will be worth it again.
J_Dubbs (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:10:35 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 03:23:26 AM by J_Dubbs

love those hp psu's that plug into backplane!   makes it so easy!

Yes, it's a very cool thing if you can get a backplane for a good price too Smiley

I really hope their next product, or some future product, uses the same slots for powering. Ideally, it would be a great feature to use the same backplane for stepping into a newer line of blades, and it could keep their manufacturing costs down + build loyalty for those with backplanes.

how do you figure the cube is a better deal?    you have to buy power supplies for them....  when if you have open slots on the backplane  just pop 10.7ghs in and go!

Confused? Blades don't need a power supply?

If'n you were sophisticated you could steal the 12V from the empty backplane, but 12V is pretty cheap at these wattages isn't it?

One thing I will say... the HP power supply for the backplane is $30 and it's rock-solid. Funny thing is people are paying over $100 for them on Ebay, meanwhile Amazon has a ton available for $30. Ebay seems like it is full of people praying on newbies though. Anyways, my average blade cost is $300 across 5 total, which at these levels I'm okay with; just wish I could get a few more for the empty backplane slots.

Once the Bitcoin_price/difficulty ratio gets down to $0.0000005 I think you will see the price of hardware come down considerably.

This will allow you to scoop up some hardware for a good price and when Bitcoin goes back up your mining will be worth it again.

Well, I also think at some point the current demand will be met and the prices may correct sooner. Right now the blades are proportionately more expensive than they have ever been (in my short career as a miner at least). I'm hopefully waiting for people to order these and get in over their heads with the setup and cooling, then possibly re-sell out of frustration. I guess when I look at a BFL unit or USB-based ASICs a premium on pricing makes sense because the setup is much easier, and of course everything will be high due to the recent BTC appreciation.

With these blades it seems like the prior discount in pricing associated with the pain-in-the ass factor or rigging them up and cooling is no longer being priced in the way it was before. Don't get me wrong, once they are running and you know the ropes it's just repetition to add more blades, but that first time around the block never seems easy with these things. Just a cursory glance through the setup thread on these forums and it's pretty clear new users have more difficulty with these than anything else out there (correct me if I'm wrong on that). While I do see a lot of "buy it now" prices way up on Ebay that doesn't necessarily mean people are buying them at those levels. I was just a bit surprised when I saw Jones Gear above $400, didn't think they would go that high on them there. The fact many people need to get creative setting these up leaves some level of hope that buyers might end up throwing in the towel.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: