Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:14:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins in space!  (Read 36183 times)
rme

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 08:16:40 AM

Could someone post info about the required equipment to recieve the BitSat broadcast in a average laptop?

If possible post links to amazon for the equipment.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 08:47:42 AM

Is it going to be bootstrapped as high as possible before launch, or will it have to download the entire blockchain while in orbit? LOL
heh, definitely loading the chain prior to launch.  That's part of the pre-flight tests in fact.

Of course! Right?

I mean, the day before launch, copy over all the blocks*.dat and other files needed. Then turn it on while it's still here, keeping it running as long as possible until right before launching to sync up the last possible minute.

Then when it's in space, uh, ... well, I don't know how it works, but I guess it's already turned on while it's flying there.

How many satellites will there be? From the ad, it seems there will be 18 to 24 cubesats? Each one connected to a ground station or each other?

I made this picture in Paint.

Let me know if I understand this or not. The lines are supposed to be, well, line of sight communication between ground stations and each other.

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 02:49:46 PM

With space, you get much higher latencies than on the ground.

To get full coverage over populated areas of Earth, one requires multiple orbital planes, resulting in something like this:

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 05:41:23 PM

New desktop wallpaper!

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 09:40:15 PM

With space, you get much higher latencies than on the ground.

To get full coverage over populated areas of Earth, one requires multiple orbital planes, resulting in something like this:

sweet ... got a view that shows southern hemisphere ground stations (e.g. australasian)?

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 12:43:04 AM

How many satellites will there be? From the ad, it seems there will be 18 to 24 cubesats? Each one connected to a ground station or each other?

How many satellites depends on funding:

• 4 - a demo, with coverage gaps, high latencies
  • 16 - adequate, with some periods/areas of high latency
  • 24 - ideal target
  • 32 - super duper Smiley

The satellites can communicate with each other (P2P!).  There will be multiple ground stations in multiple countries around the world.

sweet ... got a view that shows southern hemisphere ground stations (e.g. australasian)?

That's all I can release for the moment.  Every landmass except Antarctica should have full coverage.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 12:52:10 AM

New desktop wallpaper!

I'd like an interactive screen saver... click on a satellite and watch it go round and round.

The satellites can communicate with each other (P2P!).  There will be multiple ground stations in multiple countries around the world.

That's the answer I was hoping for. So if the entire planet goes dark, the blockchain is swirling around us and continuing to exist. (mining would be a different issue)

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 01:39:05 AM

FAQs:  How long does a cubesat stay up there?  How long is a single cubesat reachable during an orbit?

With COTS parts, operational life is predicted at 2-3 years, possibly years longer.

matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2014, 11:09:25 PM

The three links in the OP are not working for me?

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 12:40:45 AM

The three links in the OP are not working for me?

Fixed.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Some things got moved to BitSat.org.

matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 12:31:03 AM

Kryptoradio are broadcasting blockchain data in a 7.5kbps channel on the UHF band using the DVB-T1(or possibly)T2 codec in Finland.  Using the Digital Radio Mondiale codec you could broadcast =>7.1kbps over a 5kHz channel on SW/MW/LW.  Although renting SW transmitter broadcast time costs around $25k per month for 24/7/365 broadcasts.  5kHZ though is about a quarter of the bandwidth that current AM radio broadcast stations use on MW or LW.

Ireland's RTE Long Wave radio station on 252kHz is to close down this January.  That's 18kHz of bandwidth that could cover all of the British Isles and reach all it's 68Million people from a single transmitter.  Plus I'd imagine that Northern France and maybe the low countries could also receive the transmission.  The blockchain plus a Digital Radio Mondiale coded audio station could be broadcast with the 18kHz of bandwidth using the Digital Radio Mondiale codec.  Or more data like alternative blockchains could potentially be transmitted instead.  LW transmissions have good penetration into large buildings.  So an external antenna on the outside of the building would not be needed.

ElysianBaws

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 01:24:40 AM

so how much btc is needed 2 do it?
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:22:49 AM

Ireland's RTE Long Wave radio station on 252kHz is to close down this January.  That's 18kHz of bandwidth that could cover all of the British Isles and reach all it's 68Million people from a single transmitter.  Plus I'd imagine that Northern France and maybe the low countries could also receive the transmission.  The blockchain plus a Digital Radio Mondiale coded audio station could be broadcast with the 18kHz of bandwidth using the Digital Radio Mondiale codec.  Or more data like alternative blockchains could potentially be transmitted instead.  LW transmissions have good penetration into large buildings.  So an external antenna on the outside of the building would not be needed.

Yes.  Ideally blockchain data, plus other useful data, can be transmitted if bandwidth is available.  For example, the next probable goal for transmission would be live bitcoin transaction data.  This enables mining (assuming you have an uplink somewhere), by delivering a "full feed" of bitcoin protocol data.

After blocks + TXs, there are plenty of other useful things one can imagine.

matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 10:19:36 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2014, 10:38:09 AM by matthewh3

Ireland's RTE Long Wave radio station on 252kHz is to close down this January.  That's 18kHz of bandwidth that could cover all of the British Isles and reach all it's 68Million people from a single transmitter.  Plus I'd imagine that Northern France and maybe the low countries could also receive the transmission.  The blockchain plus a Digital Radio Mondiale coded audio station could be broadcast with the 18kHz of bandwidth using the Digital Radio Mondiale codec.  Or more data like alternative blockchains could potentially be transmitted instead.  LW transmissions have good penetration into large buildings.  So an external antenna on the outside of the building would not be needed.
Yes.  Ideally blockchain data, plus other useful data, can be transmitted if bandwidth is available.  For example, the next probable goal for transmission would be live bitcoin transaction data.  This enables mining (assuming you have an uplink somewhere), by delivering a "full feed" of bitcoin protocol data.

After blocks + TXs, there are plenty of other useful things one can imagine.

With the full 18kHz of bandwidth at 252kHz LW it looks like you could potentially transmit up to ~25kbps (Mode D) to ~60kbps (Mode A) using the Digital Radio Mondiale codec.  So almost 11MB could be transmitted per hour in Mode D.  Or about 1.8GB per week in Mode D.  Which is about 94GB per year in mode D.

rme

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 07:34:31 AM

Imagine that they are already a couple of BitSats up there, how the average Joe uses them?

Joe has modern a android device (i.e. nexus 5) and a average laptop.
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 03:38:27 PM

Imagine that they are already a couple of BitSats up there, how the average Joe uses them?

Joe has modern a android device (i.e. nexus 5) and a average laptop.

A satellite receiver.

The project specification indicates that the receiver should be made with Common, Off The Shelf (COTS) parts, and may be purchased or built by a skilled hobbyist.

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 03:38:46 PM

KnCminer blog post: https://www.knccloud.com/blog/archive#he-s-going-to-beam-bitcoin-from-space

silversurfer1958

Activity: 474
Merit: 111

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:44:12 AM

What about a system where the Block chain is carved up and stored on people's PCs in smaller chunks, actually, they are probably working on this already, a bit like i2p

https://geti2p.net/en/

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:48:27 AM

Are there any basic specs for the satellites up anywhere ... just would like to know some basics, dimensions, weight?

matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 04:15:49 PM

Some new press on the WSJ MONEYBEAT blog BitBeat: Bitcoin Coder Garzik Signs Deal to Deploy ‘BitSats’ In Space

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: