Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:49:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dummy plugs do not fit into R9 290  (Read 7000 times)
SaveForrest

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:58:14 PM

I'm trying to get the dummy plugs to work with R9 290X TRI-X's.  Things work fine when I plug a monitor into the card but they don't work at all when I use the dummy plugs.  I'm sure the resistors are in the right holes on the VGA side of the adapter but I'm just confused as to why it isn't working.  The same resistor set up worked fine with the 7850's.

I've tried both DVI-D ports on the R9 290X TRI-X's but I get nothing.  When I plug an actual monitor in to either port it works fine.  I'm using 68 ohm resistors.  The only thing I can think of is that these cards need a different resistor but it would be anyone's guess as to which size would work.

Any ideas?

Edit:  Well after more research I'm seeing that dummy plugs won't work on 290's and 290X's.  Most are saying they aren't necessary but that is not my experience.  Without a monitor on the systems the system I can not boot into Windows 7 64 bit.

hello, I have same problems, besides it, I don't know which Ohm resistors to choose:
18x 75 Ohm resistors Huh?

btw how do you recognize active from non-active dvi to VGA adapter??  Grin
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 03:10:59 PM

hello, I have same problems, besides it, I don't know which Ohm resistors to choose:
18x 75 Ohm resistors Huh?

btw how do you recognize active from non-active dvi to VGA adapter??  Grin

I'm trying to get the dummy plugs to work with R9 290X TRI-X's.  Things work fine when I plug a monitor into the card but they don't work at all when I use the dummy plugs.  I'm sure the resistors are in the right holes on the VGA side of the adapter but I'm just confused as to why it isn't working.  The same resistor set up worked fine with the 7850's.

I've tried both DVI-D ports on the R9 290X TRI-X's but I get nothing.  When I plug an actual monitor in to either port it works fine. 
I'm using 68 ohm resistors. The only thing I can think of is that these cards need a different resistor but it would be anyone's guess as to which size would work.

Any ideas?

Edit:  Well after more research I'm seeing that dummy plugs won't work on 290's and 290X's.  Most are saying they aren't necessary but that is not my experience.  Without a monitor on the systems the system I can not boot into Windows 7 64 bit.

A few of my 6 290 rigs will not post without a monitor, I'm not sure why. I bought a few displayport to vga adapters online for ~$5 each, and made dummy plugs from those. Each rig only needs one dummy plug, and it really only needs it to clear post, I got by with just one for a while, waiting for china mail. I got lucky and had a display port to dvi-d adapter from a v5900 I bought, worked fine as a test  Grin

I just made a bunch and I leave one in each rig so I can remotely reboot them reliably.

You will not be able to dummy plug a 290/290x with a non-active dvi to VGA adapter. There are no analog outputs on a 290, so the non-active adapter does not work.
You need an active adapter, usually has a big box built into it.

Can you not read, or something?

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
SaveForrest

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 03:23:16 PM

Thank you for fast reply    Grin  Grin
I apologize I did not saw it

In case it will not work I will try Linux solution http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/20739/help-running-r9-290x-graphics-card-headless-in-linux 

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/20739/help-running-r9-290x-graphics-card-headless-in-linux
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: